DSL15h quits...

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Ed R, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Ed R

Ed R New Member

Greetings,
    Just picked up a used DSL15h and MX212A cab, fired it up started playing and it went silent, no sound (suspect this is the reason it was sold...). Tried plugging in a channel foot switch, won't switch channels. Turn it off for a couple minutes, it will start for a minute, but then goes silent again. Was reading the thread on the DSL40 that had what seems like a similar issue, figure I'll start down the path of checking everything, as suggested in that thread. Sound reasonable?

Power switch stays lit, tubes all are glowing, doesn't change switching from triode to pentode, channel switch does nothing, green LED stays on, manual button switch doesn't do anything either. Tried switching cabinets (8 ohm & 16 ohm - both cabinets work with other Marshall heads - LEAD 12 & DSL1).

Not the sharpest with electronics, but willing to learn.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Ed

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

So how much electrical do you know . You are going to pull the chassis and trace out the power where it is stoping from plug to switch to fuse . It could be a bad switch losing connection . If you don’t get this stuff send it out for repair this stuff can kill

Ed R likes this.
  3. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not the sharpest with electronics, but willing to learn.

How long have you got?? its not like learning to ride a bike

Ed R likes this.
  4. jmjck900

jmjck900 Active Member

I have a dsl15h. There is a lot of unpluggable connectors on the circuit boards. I labelled all of the connections with little tags so i wouldnt get them mixed up when putting it back together(im so glad i did this first before unplugging anything).

You could read up about how to discharge the capacitors before attemping to meddle with the insides.

South Park and Ed R like this.
  5. Ed R

Ed R New Member

Appreciate the warnings. Thanks.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Learning electrical is one thing you need to know is power to ground . It all works the same . When you look at a schematic that is what you are looking at. The power rail drops to the plates the screens control the power and The plates go to ground . It is that simple

Ed R likes this.