DSL100H vs classic 2000 series DSL100

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
For everyone that has asked but has yet to play the new one and compare it's EVERY BIT a DSL.

it needed a bias adjustment of course but aside the cold bias it felt and sounded like my old DSL's. the reverb was better imo and the resonance knob is superior to the deep switch imho. I also found the tone switch SEEMED to be revoiced as it's now useable imho.

so, i'm tucking away my pennies to purchase one on the used market soon. I just have to find one with shipping.

the GC of course used an instrument lead for the speaker though initially and also forgot to even hook it up but it took that without a hiccup.

so i find so FAR it to be on equal terms sonically and superior terms in that it has hard mounted power tube sockets. i won't know more until i crack one open though of course.

oh and hello, it's been while. I still likely won't be posting as much but hello again. hope all is well.

dreyn77

Reaction score
it's a slippery slope! once you start saying these things you never get back to the position you started at.
you'll never get the uk model at a reasonable price... then eventually there will be no uk model.

SO, they are NOT the same and you can't compare them..

Its like saying the new president is like the old president.

pedecamp

Reaction score
I saw some photos of the insides and was very impressed with the empty head case! Literally everything is tiny and on boards, it looked more like the inside of an 800, lots of elbow room. Less to go wrong IMO unlike the old DSLs which are jammed packed with electronics. If I didn't have everything I have already I'd be saving for one too. Good to hear from you Diesect!

paulorr8179

Reaction score
it's a slippery slope! once you start saying these things you never get back to the position you started at.
you'll never get the uk model at a reasonable price... then eventually there will be no uk model.

SO, they are NOT the same and you can't compare them..

Its like saying the new president is like the old president.

There was once a time when the Silver Jubliee's were nothing to write home about. People thought they were just ... eh ..... now look at them.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Where you been Die? The NEW DSL's rock, but you need to insure you get a good one...

Yeah it was pretty nice. I will have to own one and run the gamut with it to really know but i will say just testing one out it compared favorably. i wouldn't say it's better or worse in terms of tone and feel. i think it's equal there but i like the modern features and the tube sockets on this version more. What issues have you heard of thus far Micky? My primary concern with the old DSL's is there inconsistencies (with my MLB being my favorite tonaly. it was the warmest of the DSL's i owned but i put the most work into that one as well to get that otherwise they really sounded quite similar if not the same when running properly.

thanks guys i appreciate the replies.

Just been dealing with the health and whatnot Micky. more details in PM for anyone interested but i realize people aren't as a whole really into hearing about that stuff. I've also been taking a break from social media in general and writing a lot. Just living life really though mostly.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy Paul!:wave:

I got the grab and go DSL40C and Find it pretty good. Fun amp. It's not so grab & go though. Big 112.LOL

Usually I go with putting a head on cab but thought I try a combo again. Not bad.:yesway:

If you get one I want to hear more of what you think. I haven't played the 100 water yet.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy Paul!:wave:

I got the grab and go DSL40C and Find it pretty good. Fun amp. It's not so grab & go though. Big 112.LOL

Usually I go with putting a head on cab but thought I try a combo again. Not bad.:yesway:

If you get one I want to hear more of what you think. I haven't played the 100 water yet.

yeah i should have tried the combo out as well. i am going to get one almost certain of it. (it will be a marshall tube amp but i'm considering some 900's and even MAYBE TSL's again if i find a strong one but i like the DSL best and this new one in head format didn't dissapoint me. i mean i would retube it and up the bias almost certainly but all of what i like in the DSL seemed to be there. i made a point to use the cheapest Gibson SG special they had as well (because i forgot mine basically lol) to get a real idea. same guitar i used on all my previous DSL's with the same pickups. i would have liked to try it with a boost though but i was very pleased with it in terms of tone and feel as well as feature ratio and the new footswitch was nice. one switch instead of the two seperate ones lol. i liked the digital verb too, i think it's less likely to develop problems than the previous but that's just hypothesizing.

but the DSLH100 is the main one i am looking for at the present time so if i can find a good used one i plan on doing the full deal of gut shots, component quality, placement and some recordings as well. it was atop a typical 75 loaded cab but thankfully that too was what i used. though i typically enjoy V30's or heritage 30's i find a mesa 2x12 with 90's 75's to sound best for some amps like the DSL and my alchemist. they sound shit with JMP's and such though it seems. those need proper v30's imho :)

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are generally no problems with the design per se, the 100 & the 40 share the same chassis, so the 40 will have 2 less tubes and smaller transformers.

This in and of itself speaks volumes about the design, for both models. As far as problems are concerned, the usual stuff is most common, a bad tube here, a weak solder joint there, but nothing glaring that might require an across the board service bulletin. This is why it is critical that you try before you buy used, and if new, have some sort of free return policy available. The amp itself has a 5-year warranty when purchased new.

The combo is incredibly popular, and is generally out-of-stock with a brief wait period before delivery. The head is also popular, but generally in-stock most places. If you have tried one already then you know how incredibly versatile the amp is, and if you can take the time to search or browse a few threads here you will also see there are an incredible number of mods available, as vendors are starting to stock replacement parts and such for the new models.

There are also many nay-sayers who feel foreign-made (asian) cannot compare to the build quality of UK or USA made stuff, and in all reality the only thing one might notice there is the price difference. These are still made to Marshall specs. In my humble opinion, the build quality and components are exactly what one might expect from a lower-cost Marshall, HDF instead of plywood and wave-soldered boards instead of hand assembled stuff. I have the combo, and would consider a head if I needed loud as well as clean headroom.

Let me say it is nice to see you post here again. But it does beg the question, that after such great sounding amps you already own, what would bring you around to consider purchasing a DSL?

Ken

Reaction score
There are generally no problems with the design per se,

The only down side on design is the composite head cabinet and the fact there's no 4 ohm option on the speaker outs.

On the plus side: 1/2 power switch, resonance knob, digital reverb, price.

I'm glad that so far, it doesn't seem to have the problems that dogged the Haze and early TSL's.

Ken

poeman33

Reaction score
Great to see you post again Die.
I tried out the new one. It's different, but still a DSL for sure. The tech at the Marshall dealer where I tried it out likes it better than the old one in terms of build design. I found it had a bit too much gain for me compared to the one one, but a different bias and I'm sure you come get it into the smoother sound that I like.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
There are generally no problems with the design per se, the 100 & the 40 share the same chassis, so the 40 will have 2 less tubes and smaller transformers.

This in and of itself speaks volumes about the design, for both models. As far as problems are concerned, the usual stuff is most common, a bad tube here, a weak solder joint there, but nothing glaring that might require an across the board service bulletin. This is why it is critical that you try before you buy used, and if new, have some sort of free return policy available. The amp itself has a 5-year warranty when purchased new.

The combo is incredibly popular, and is generally out-of-stock with a brief wait period before delivery. The head is also popular, but generally in-stock most places. If you have tried one already then you know how incredibly versatile the amp is, and if you can take the time to search or browse a few threads here you will also see there are an incredible number of mods available, as vendors are starting to stock replacement parts and such for the new models.

There are also many nay-sayers who feel foreign-made (asian) cannot compare to the build quality of UK or USA made stuff, and in all reality the only thing one might notice there is the price difference. These are still made to Marshall specs. In my humble opinion, the build quality and components are exactly what one might expect from a lower-cost Marshall, HDF instead of plywood and wave-soldered boards instead of hand assembled stuff. I have the combo, and would consider a head if I needed loud as well as clean headroom.

Let me say it is nice to see you post here again. But it does beg the question, that after such great sounding amps you already own, what would bring you around to consider purchasing a DSL?

that's fair enough really (thanks by the way). Basically just want a Marshall in my arsenal so to speak and tonally the DSL has always done the things i wanted when working correctly. I agree with the gear i have it's clearly not an issue of NEED so much as WANT but i do really want another marshall tube amp with decent clean and high gain.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The 100h has incredible clean headroom. With adjustable gain controls on BOTH channels it allows for a lot of really great combinations of tone. The 100W version, as you would expect, has a much more usable range of clean then the combo, but you may notice when in half-power mode that the clean headroom is decreased.

I tell you, my friend, it is the next best thing to a JVM...

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop now...you 2 are making want a 100 watter and that's the last thing I need...or my neighbours.

Hope you get one Paul so I can live vicariously through yours hehee!

Latest posts