DSL100H-ultra channel needing 20 minutes before

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Kauffey Bean, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Kauffey Bean

Kauffey Bean New Member

I just scored a used DSL100H and haven't stopped grinning for the past 1 week :shred2: Anyway, after a week (playing 1-2 hours a day), yesterday I discovered that the ultra channel suddenly will start sounding 'clean' (even with the gain high up), and needs about 15-20 minutes before the gain gradually increases to its full normal self. But once it kicks in full, everything is perfect.

Also, switching on the power alone for 20 minutes did not prevent this phenomena - I need to follow with switching the standby on for 20 minutes before the ultra channel gets 'normal'.

May I know if there is something amiss, since before yesterday the ultra channel delivers the expected gain fully immediately after switching on standby following the prior 1-2 minutes switching on the power. (I did fiddle with the efx loop before this happened, but unsure if that is relevant).

Thank you! :)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

I have an 100H and love it also. Being that it's at least 5 years old, and who knows how many hours on the tubes, that would be my first thing to look at. I would also pull the chassis and inspect for any circuit board damage.

3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Definitely something amiss there. @Far Rider makes some good suggestions. Although be careful if you remove the chassis, keep your hands clear. Use a pencil if you’re gonna poke around in there.

4. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

Should have mentioned safety precautions also. Thanks Scozz.

5. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

NEVER use a pencil, as the graphite/lead may be conductive. Best to use an all wood or bamboo chopstick.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome:To the forum, I have your amps little brother, Dsl40c, I have not had this particular problem, but I would try a known good preamp tube in the second and third position’s to see if that could be the problem, but I am also not a tech.
    Cheers

Mitch

Kauffey Bean likes this.
  7. Kauffey Bean

Kauffey Bean New Member

Thank you everyone for being so kind attending to my problem! Since I don't have any experience opening up and tinkering with the innards of a tube amp, I will take the safe route to get an amp guy to have a look!
    Have a rocking weekend!:rock: