DSL1 Weird Background Noise (my 4th attempt on DSL amps)

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by purulence, Feb 8, 2021.

1. purulence

purulence Member

By the way, I did some extra testing last night. I`ve left the amp running(connected to guitar with volume knob on, at ultra gain with volume 9 o`clock) for 30 mins and I observed the outcome. You can see interval of clean sounded periods below. As you can see, there`s almost a 5 mins clean fixed duration and it seems like repeating continuously.

23:04 - 23:09
    23:10 - 23:15
    23:19 - 23:24
    23:26 - 23:30

2. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

Definitely not the amp. I have a DSL1 and no such noises. A few years back I lived in a house that had some power issues and my amp (a Blackstar at the time) made weird noises similar to this that would come and go. Drove me nuts, til an electrician buddy helped me figure out it was the house and not my gear.

Tried taking the amp to a friend's house and see what happens?

purulence likes this.
  3. purulence

purulence Member

Unfortunately I have no chance to go out someone`s home and test it these days, since everybody is ultra sensitive. Ok, that`s not the amp but could the amount of parasite noise differ from amp to amp depending on it`s circuit. I really wonder it. Between, what Blackstar model it was exactly?

4. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

It was an IDCore40. Any chance you can try it at work, or take it to a local music store to see?

5. purulence

purulence Member

No :) The country I live in currently, it`s in full shut down state. Europe is in very bad condition at the moment. I haven`t been to office since March 2019(working remotely since then)and everywhere including music shops are closed for long time. Only chance for shopping is online shops. Which is why things are worse then ever..

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. CVS

CVS New Member

Hello, this "sounds" :) like interference, as also others mentioned and certainly when it's already your 4th try with this type of amp it would be very strange that they all have the same problem...have you tried it in another house (friend, familie) if you have the same problem over there ..so you can rule certain things out ...Hope you find the problem so you can enjoy your amp :jam:

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You have a bad connection on the bonding wire it grounds out the chassis to earth ground . Some plugs have Ben added or reworked not hooked up .

8. Zylo

Zylo Member

Well tbh I think you got it lucky

A couple of times in the last few weeks, my amp was picking up some foreign radio station, think it was a French channel...
    Do I need to coat my house in tin foil??

purulence, Thomas_1 and Iron1 like this.
  9. acevh00

acevh00 Member

Sure it's a ground problem. Try the head in another flat or house...

10. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

It's normal for an amp to have a bit of a buzz, especially at higher gains. but if I'm listening to the right sound in the video there's its an EMF interference making the weird sound. What's the bet you've put all 4 amps in the same place and that there's something else electrical around? You have two options to deal with it, 1. move the amp to somewhere else, away from other electronic circuits ie. phones, computers, power boards, TVs, etc or 2. deal with it, if you don't want to move the amp you're not gonna be able to get rid of it. Either way it shouldn't affect the sound of your guitar when you're playing it.

ps. Something cool you can do is turn on everything on your phone, wifi, bluetooth, data, all of it, and stick it right up next to your amp and it'll make a whole bunch of cool sounds because of it.

edit: I've seen a few guys here talking about phones etc, but when I say move it away from everything I mean EVERYTHING. ANY electrical circuit will cause interference, and if you happen to have a whole bunch of wires running right behind your amp its gonna cause a lot of interference. Like the guy with the kitchen dimmer you could just have your amp in a bad place

11. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I've seen that happen before, sometimes it's not the amp picking things up but a pedal, imo its actually pretty funny when that happens

12. BigFeet25

BigFeet25 New Member

Until recently I worked in the UK lighting industry (for 30 years!) and can confirm that lighting can be a source of electronic noise whether conducted along the mains supply or as transmitted a la radio interference. I think that what you have here is not a lighting issue a there is some distinct regularity to the interference. A light fitting will only cause such an issue when it is switched on so should be simple to eliminate as a source. The regularity of the time between your bouts of noise suggests some sort of communication device pinging a data packet etc. at a specific rate. This could be a phone, smart electricity meter etc.? The good news is I reckon your amp is fine and moving it away from its current location, when possible, should show you that the problem lies with something else in your home.
    One last point about lighting noise. Most people assume that it is only fluorescent fittings that cause problems with noise. In truth any inadequately designed and tested electronic power supply can cause the same issues. Again these are easy to eliminate by checking with it on and off.
    When you find the offending item (whatever it is!) check if it bears the CE mark. Any electronic / electrical equipment with the mark should legally have gone though correct EMC testing to ensure that it does not radiate or conduct excessive noise.
    Good luck!

purulence likes this.
  13. Bring ite84lz

Bring ite84lz New Member

Power conditioner?

14. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

All this, including a power conditioner has been discussed already. He has moved the amp around his flat, turned everything other than the amp off and has the same condition. He has stated he cannot move the amp to other locales because of the virus restrictions.

I too have the same amp and in only 1 room of my house, the amp exibits the same noise as his. Nothing else running, no phone, no wifi no lights, nothing. But in the rest of my house it doesn't make a peep other than the normal hiss. For that reason I think its a ground issue with my one room..at least in my case.

purulence likes this.
  15. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, if so I missed it, but have you taken your amp and guitar to a location (or two) a good distance from your flat like a friend's home, and plugged in ? If the noise is greatly minimized or gone, then the issue is bad ground in the flat, devices there plugged in, a transformer on the ground nearby or on a pole that supplies electricity etc. One thing that came to mind is 5G towers which have stronger microwave transmissions than prior towers for cell phones. They are spaced closer to one another and lower to the ground. I am not sure if they can cause interference - maybe someone here can chime in to see if that is a possibility.

16. BigFeet25

BigFeet25 New Member

Hi Gunner - if you suspect your issue is a ground issue and only in one room you can simply check this by running power to your amp within the “problem” room from a mains supply in a room that doesn’t have the problem.

17. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I don't suspect it. It does not make that noise in any other room in my house.

18. fitz288

fitz288 Well, Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it has been mentioned,
    @Gunner64 is not the OP, he's not having a problem, he's trying to help,

READ THE WHOLE THREAD.

19. purulence

purulence Member

Appreciated for your time and detailed reply.
    I just want you to know that I`ve already tried to run the amp in different part of the flat with different outlets. There`s sometimes less noise but it`s always there. Between, I run some test today during day time and my whole cycle which I found out last night is broken since I got random 1-2 mins of disturbances this time. So, there`s no exact cycle but I can say that, it`s getting better at nights(less pollution intervals). I`ve mentioned earlier but It`s better to repeat. I tried to test it by shutting down everything in the flat(literally everything including ligts, no plug on outlets including fridge!) but the noise was still there, saying me hello :D

I want to make sure about sth. Many people said my amp is healthy but it might be caused by

1) dirty power source
    2) EM, RF Interference

Relying on what you have mentioned and tests I`ve performed, is it sth can be solved via plugging a "power conditioner" front of the amp? I don`t want to think about the 2nd option anyway(since it`s almost impossible to find the external source and intervene..)

20. purulence

purulence Member

Thanks for the support! I`m really looking forward to hear you about HT1 test. It`ll determine whether I`ll keep DSL1 or not. There`s no need to return this amp if I`ll have the same problem with another brand. Appreciated!