DSL vs Origin

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ToneGod, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

Hi there,

Im looking for a new amp, and i've come down to these two, DSL40CR and Origin 20H.

I mostly play everything from blues to hard rock and metal (60s to 80s and a bit 90s), and i can't decide between the two.
    The sound im after is that classic plexi or jcm800 tone like SRV/Hendrix, EVH, AC/DC, Motley Crue (late 80s).
    I already have a couple of pedals, vox wah, SD-1, Rat, and a chorus, and im getting a TC flashback and HoF in the future.

Thanks guys.

2. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

Of those two, I would think the DSL would suit you better.

3. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

Thanks for the reply man,
    I just heard the origin had a really good vintage tone, and that made me question my decision.
    I don't know if the 20H is a better option that the 50C thought if i had to compare the DSL and Origin.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would say the Origin with SD-1 or a boost, but thats me.

And :welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

5. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

I guess the speakers of the Origin is going to have something to say as well?
    If i picked the origin, i was thinking of putting greenback, or v30's in it.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Actually these two amps are quite different.

The Origin 20 & 50 are a single channel amps that need pedals for certain genre. Not a high gain amp, but it will get you into the ballpark of a Plexi.

The Dsl40 on the other hand is a high gain that has 2 channels and 3 separate modes in each channel,...almost like having 6 channels,...almost.

Yes, quite a difference.

7. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

I'd like the amp to do most of the work, and then i can push it with pedals to get where i want it.
    But will the origin (with pedal) be able to get those heavier tones like motley crue and zakk wylde late 80s?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

The origin has to be cranked up to overdrive.....when I tried one I couldn't get it loud enough in the store to overdrive it. I didn't want to buy without hearing what it did.
    In disgust I plugged into the DSL next to it for shits and I liked it.....and bought it.
    Of what your looking for I would say the 40 dsl would probably suit you well.....as you can dial up allot of tones on them.

9. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

The DSL40CR with the Vtype speaker is fabulous. I think it will cover everything you've described in spades. I think you will struggle a bit with the Origin to get in to Crue and Zakk territory. The DSL has a crap tone of gain, maybe to much. Good news is you can dial it back.

10. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

The DSL might be my choice.
    I've heard it a lot on youtube and it sound amazing, i really like the classic channel and od1.
    But since this one is 40w, is it possible to get bedroom friendly volume??

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and jchrisf like this.
  11. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Yes. I always try an amp at low volume and was very pleased. I was thinking about buying a DSL40CR as I wanted a combo for portability and they improved all the things I did not like about the DSL50.

Note: If you buy new it may take several weeks to break the speaker in. They come with Vtype or Creamback speakers try to see which one best suits you.

Mitchell Pearrow and ToneGod like this.
  12. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

warning- Grumpy Morning Post

You can get what you need in the general sense out of either amp with some pedals (with the origin) or not (with the VSL).

Keep in mind that the Origin20H requires ( alot of ) volume to give up the goods. The VSL doesn't require as much. If you are playing at home, this is a big factor.

I have both, I'm an old school NMV type of guy utilizing an amp all by itself (no pedals or other BS) for my main tone and my Origin20H was shelved after several months. The power stem tech is pretty poor compared to other manufacturers. The amp gets thin, undefined/flabby, and grainy in the medium and low power modes. The only time I like the amp is when it's in full power and cranked up (Clip below- It does sound good this way) I break it out on occasion to try some new tubes or speakers or something i feel might make a difference, and it's usually back in the closet within 20 minutes.

The Boost mode helps some to make the amp sound bigger and fuller, but it's hard to dial in without the tone tuerning into a grainy/mushy mess (I'm guessing it's diode clipping)

Other people are fine with it low/er power modes, and using pedals so they don't have to crank it. IMO that defeats the whole purpose of the amp, but different strokes...

Although I'm not a DSL "Fan" per-se, I've come to terms with the amp, learned how to tweak it with tubes/speakers and It's still my main squeeze for the time being- no question I would take it over the OR20H again and again.

This is at Noise Ordinance Violation levels

Avenger, parachute, SiCoul and 5 others like this.
  13. ToneGod

ToneGod Member

I've heard good things about the stock v-type speakers in the DSL40CR, so thats pretty good.

It's also pretty cheap for how much you get.
    There was also the studio vintage and studio classic, but the combo versions were both 10" speakers which were a deal breaker for me, and the head and cab option is way out of my budget.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Im thinking the DSL, it has 4 modes and can cover most anything, but you gotta like DSL tone which tends to lean towards the compressed scooped tone. But the green crunch mode with a TS9 will get you close to plexi tone. I actually bought the DSL20HR and the ORI20H at the same time and returned them both for the Studio amps, tested the SC20H and SV20H and kept the SV20H. If you can swing the extra money get a Studio amp. :yesway:

15. Barry A

Barry A Member

If you have a decent pedalboard, go with the origin. If not, dsl. The Origin needs a tube change and pedals to get great tones at lower volumes.

I have an Origin 50C and changed V1 and V2 tubes to Tung Sols ($30), and use an EHX Soul Food Pedal ($79) to get an awesome tone at bedroom levels and Lil Big Muff for dirt. Stock speakers. Sounds amazing.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum you are going to more than likely want to use the DSL, as others have said you need to crank the Origin up to get it to deliver, I am one of those that has both, Origin 50H’s and the older Dsl40c’s. And they both rock hard in my book.
    Cheers to your new amp brother.

Mitch

17. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I think you have confused the DSL40CR for the JVM205C.
    The DSL40CR has two channels with two voices per channel, so 4 in total.

I say get the DSL too, but then I would because I own one and have never played through an Origin!

The DSL40CR is, ironically, better at low volumes than the DSL20CR.
    The two added Master Volumes make all the difference.

With the pedals you already have out front you could get a very wide range of tones from a DSL40CR.
    For 'All-Out-Total-High-Gain' it is better to back off the OD2 gain to about 6 and push the preamp with an SD-1.

The reverbs on the 40CR are somewhat weak, so a HoF (and FlashBack) in the loop will be far more useful.

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Your clip really shows off the Origin quite well Jeff .
    Thanks for posting

Mitch

19. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Thank you Brother :thumb: Wide open it gives up the goods, no doubt. I just wish I could run it wide open all the time! :mad2:

20. Mitchell Pearrow

This is the Origin 50H’s with a 3210 lead 100 mosfet.
    The Origin’s are on the mid power setting, volume at 2 , MXR10 eq, and the Joyo ultimate drive, boost on the amp is not being used, Presence is maxed, mids and treble at 8, bass at 5, tilt at 5, this was loud enough to jam with a full band.
    Thanks