DSL or TSL?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by xophrax, May 17, 2009.

1. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Excellent points guys, this isn't a this amp is better than that amp discussion it should be about really what sounds best to the player.

2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

There are 2 bands he mentioned that I'm not sure the Marshall's will cover. Pantera and Disturbed. All the other ones he listed I'm sure either amp will cover.

Any of you players venturing into stuff like Pantera and Disturbed on your Marshall's?

3. Boldkharma

Boldkharma Well-Known Member

I owned the TSL602, TSL60,TSL100,DSL401, DSL100 and DSL50. I went to the JVM and haven't looked back! Great, great amp and I get all the tones I have ever need. Next to the JVM i have to say my favorite is the DSL50.

4. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

I've played Disturbed with my DSL100, but I don't care for Pantera's stuff so I've never bothered to learn it. Love Dime, and Randall Amps cook, but I don't care for the tunes.

I have a guitar equipped with Duncan El Diablos and that seems to be part of the recipe for Disturbed. Heavy riffing with high output pups.

5. solarburnDSL50

I don't go there with mine but I was curious from the get go on those 2. Hey that's cool you got there with the DSL and fiddle. Way to pull it off! I didn't think it would go there. I actually love Donnegan's riffing. I know alot of people really hate Disturbed but I will admit I like em'. Like I said I like the riffing he does.

6. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Yeah agreed bro, Dan lays it in there nice and thick and his tone is good too.

Admittedly I was caught off guard when I first heard their remake of Phil Collin's "Land of Confusion". I asked a guy at the shop who that was and he told me and was whoa, no bad!

I like throwback groups that can get hard and heavy and put their own twist on classic tunes, that won me over.

7. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

I will put in my 2 cents.

I have a TSL 100. I love it. The clean channel can get that old skynnyrd sound,(clean part of freebird for example) the crunch channel can get that more ac/dc, old judas priest sound, and the lead channel can get into high gain thrash/death metal territory.

I have dialed in panteras sound on it, and you can get it pretty close, same with any of the really low detuned stuff like slipknot etc. All that stuffs possible, it just requires some tweaking.

I like having the three channels, the effects loop works great, and I love all the options. I am currently using tung sols for my preamp and jjs for my power section. It sounds amazing and my amps totally stock other than a slight mod to the channel switching pedal which lets me disconnect the cord for easier transport.

8. solarburnDSL50

Which JJ's? The KT-77's, 34L's or just the 34's? I like the KT-77's but I want to try the 34L's cause I hear they sound real good in the Marshall's too.

9. solarburnDSL50

I think alot of us had that reaction to "Land of Confusion". A few of my friends did the double take on it. Disturbed's great for pumping iron to. Gives me a little extra at the gym.:naughty:

10. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

el 34s just standard ones.

I haven't messed with any other power tubes yet as that's a big investment (time and money wise).

11. solarburnDSL50

Gotcha. Its not so bad for me, 2 power tubes but money is money eh? Most of the time I just like to "PLAN" on buying some new ones.LOL

Once I learned to bias my amp I got an automatic pay cut. Tubes ain't cheap.

Well guys I can't see straight so I am off to bed. Carry on!

12. xophrax

xophrax New Member

Ok, wow. Alot of responses, and I really do appreciate what your all giving me. The thing about trying the TSL, is that NO store in my city carries them... I have tried the DSL100 though, and its just awesome. However, is it possible to mod the DSL100 so i can switch between the 2 channels AND modes with a footswitch? Example.
    Button 1- Channel 1/ Clean
    Button 2- Channel 1/ Crunch
    Button 3- Channel 2/ Lead 1
    Button 4- Channel 2/ Lead 2

Is that possible?
    And what/ where do you reccomend for modding? What does modding do? Etc.

And thanks again for all the feedback!

13. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Probably not all of those but you can have it modded to be switchable.

FJA Mods

14. BrotherJ

BrotherJ Member

I'm investigating this one! So far it's across the line up of the DSL50/100 & TSL100 (Not sure on the TSL60). Anything other than an Issue 6 main components board and it has the potential to fail.

A friend had me check over his DSL50 (2001 model) it had the Issue 5 board with the 220k grid blocker resistors and was having problems holdig bias on one side. It was the first time I had seen it on a 50w amp but seeing that it had the same board as it's big brothers unfortunately meant it was not imune from these dreaded problems.

15. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Gain and distortion are relative terms. Blanket statements like the one above don't really mean much.

On the DSL's green channel in crunch mode, its almost like using a JCM 800. Sometimes, an OD pedal in front can give you that extra kick you need.

Because the Red and Green channel are voiced differently on the DSL, taking advantage of each channel's mode and tone is key when you're trying to achieve a certain sound. Its not all about getting the most distortion, its also about getting the tone you're after.

The green channel sounds close to a JCM800 IMO and with an overdrive pushing it, you keep the articulation and crunch of that channel. Many very well known guitarists have done this like Gary Moore and Jeff Beck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0]YouTube - Gary Moore - Red House (Hendrix Cover) - Wembley Arena 04[/ame]

That's the DSL, green channel with an OD in front and this is one of many good examples of it.

16. Unknown3

Unknown3 New Member

I remember the DSL 100 sounding great on the ultra channel; it had enough gain/distortion and I really liked the tone. However, that was several months ago (if not almost a year by now) and I've since owned a JCM 800, gotten better equipment, etc... so I can't truthfully claim that the DSL 100 is MY tone because I honestly don't remember. I just remember it sounding GREAT. Plus, it may not even be his tone, which is what matters. And I absolutely agree that overdrive pedals are more than vintage tools used to push old amps like 1959's and single-channel JCM 800's that didn't have enough distortion or weren't hot-rodded. I used to use my TS7 for some boosting for my JCM 800 but also for tone shaping.

But right now we're talking about differences between DSL and TSL. And if the guy doesn't need three channels then he doesn't. And by really needing three channels I meant if you were going to switch between three sounds during one song.

steelhorse, I'd like to see some other advantages with owning a TSL, since I just can't come up with any and it feels like I'm missing something because there HAS to be some advantage with having three channels. Is each channel voiced differently?

17. solarburnDSL50

FJA offers a mod that makes the red channel foot switchable. Meaning you can switch between lead 1 & lead 2.

18. Unknown3

Unknown3 New Member

Why can't you make the classic channel switchable or something? Like, if you press the classic channel "button" on the footswitch it changes to classic channel w/ last mode you had on, and pressing it again switches mode.

19. solarburnDSL50

Yeah, alot of people assume when using a boost/overdrive pedal you are trying to get more gain. How about getting the gain to tighten up, add punch or add some sustain. In some circumstances just a little bit added goes along way. The right mix can give you a whole other gain channel.

The crunch channel on the DSL is a veritable testing ground for boost or overdrive pedals. Why would you want to do this on the crunch channel? For me its to add a couple more voicings of gain to your arsenal. Does it change/ruin the Marshall voicing? If you use the wrong tool for the job yes. If you are bad at dialing in a pedal to work with the amp, yes.

Just look at the pay off though if done right. GM is a good example and really most of the DSL user's I talk to at HCAF will also tell you how good the crunch channel is to boost.

Some won't even play the red channel cause they think it sucks. They use the crunch channel only boosted and then roll guitar volume back for the cleans. They don't even use the clean channel for cleans. Crazy bastids. To me these guys are missing out on the amps other abilities. If it works for them though...:wave:

I like the guys who plug straight in cause they can save you money by getting good tones as is. Ask for their settings and test them out. This gave me more great tones from the red channel I hadn't discovered myself. I boosted that channel too. It also taught me to try others settings and see, even if I think they are full of it or tone deaf.:hmm:

I like the guys who recommend pedals, tubes or mods because if I got the money I can get good tone that way too. Some of us who choose this route can keep others from going down that road too based on our results. It doesn't always work out for the best...That tone sucks! Those bastards said it rocks! They wouldn't know tone if it bit them in the ass. Might be true...

There is no hard rule here. Do it or don't. Make that amp shine however you can. I'm open minded enough to try some things and if it works cool. If not, I move on. I won't blame you for it...much!

There are those guys too who will read every bodies input, get confused or frustrated, prolly bored and need to be told what to buy. So if you are one of these, buy the DSL. Wasn't that easy?:rock:

20. solarburnDSL50

Ask FJA. It would seem like he could do either channel that way but I didn't ask cause I didn't get that mod. So I don't know...