DSL 40 C yellow jacket tube converters?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Yeah I was considering trying those E34L’s, but after talking to @solarburnDSL50 about 6ca7’s, I decided to give them a try. Maybe I’ll try E34L’s next time l’m looking for a change.

If you decide to try them I have an unused matched quad that I bought from eurotubes last summer for my DSL 100 that I'd be willing to sell. I ordered them before the amp even arrived and once I heard it, I decided that I really like the stock sound so I never bothered with the e34l tubes.

Cheers

jaked0097

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's everyone. I have a ton of info to go on now and this forum rocks!! The el34L is on the way so can't wait till they get here but after a few weeks or so or sooner if I don't like the tone, I'm going to give the 6ca7 power tubes a chance. On the pre amp tubes ill have to go with what's in the hi gain kit from eurotubes but if anyone has any pre amp tube recommends for the dsl40c I would appreciate it.

jaked0097

Reaction score
If you decide to try them I have an unused matched quad that I bought from eurotubes last summer for my DSL 100 that I'd be willing to sell. I ordered them before the amp even arrived and once I heard it, I decided that I really like the stock sound so I never bothered with the e34l tubes.

Cheers
I've already ordered the kit from eurotubes if not for that I would have considered it. I was un aware of how helpful this forum was but now that I know this be the first place I start my research on anything amp or guitar related. Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The el34L is on the way so can't wait till they get here but after a few weeks or so or sooner if I don't like the tone, I'm going to give the 6ca7 power tubes a chance.
6CA7 is not your only option for alternative power tubes.
E34L, EL34 II, KT77 are also all equivalent tubes to the EL34.
I just dropped a pair of E34L's in my 3203 after work today.

Here's a link to the JJ site:
I prefer JJ, but some people hate them :shrug:

New sensor also has a variety of brands that are all manufactured to slightly different specs.
(Tung-Sol, Electro Harmonix, Svetlana S-Logo, Mullard)

Options for pre-amp tubes and varying gain factors adds another dimension to what's available from the major brands.
1660005630980.png
The rabbit hole just gets deeper, and deeper...

msgdp

Reaction score
I've tried them and was not happy with the results. Good learning experience though - an amp is designed with a specific circuit in mind which includes the power section. Using them to tame EL 34's is a myth - better to use an attenuator. From experience using both.

jaked0097

Reaction score
6CA7 is not your only option for alternative power tubes.
E34L, EL34 II, KT77 are also all equivalent tubes to the EL34.
I just dropped a pair of E34L's in my 3203 after work today.

Here's a link to the JJ site:
I prefer JJ, but some people hate them :shrug:

New sensor also has a variety of brands that are all manufactured to slightly different specs.
(Tung-Sol, Electro Harmonix, Svetlana S-Logo, Mullard)

Options for pre-amp tubes and varying gain factors adds another dimension to what's available from the major brands.
View attachment 112648
The rabbit hole just gets deeper, and deeper...
Yea I hear ya I checked out all the amp tube kits and kit option at euro tubes its definitely something I'm going to experiment with I just hope it doesn't become an addiction. :):band:

jaked0097

Reaction score
Tubes arrived. I've already swapped in the new preamp tubes and it made a huge difference right away so I'm going to try and bias the original power tubes first my hope is maybe the bias is off and that's why it sounds bad when I turn up volume and gain. I was hoping it was just bad pre amp tube but it might be power tube but testing the bias should answer that question. If not I will bias the new el34L and hope for the best.

Resized IMG_1762.JPG

It really only sounds bad when I push the Ultra gain Lead 1 or Lead 2. The clean channel sounds decent but still a little short of what it did when it was newer. Is that usually a sign of bad power tube? Or bias is off?