DSL 40 C yellow jacket tube converters?

jaked0097

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Jake and I am brand new to the Marshall forums. I have a dsl40c from around 2013 and I just purchased a new set of tubes for it. After making the purchase thru my research of how to bias amp power tubes I came across yellow jacket tube converters that change the pins from el34 to be able to use el84s which are cheaper and maybe quieter also tubes but what got me wanting to try them is that I might not have to bias them. Just wondering if anyone has tried them with the dsl40c or with other amps and if they are worth experimenting with?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Jake and I am brand new to the Marshall forums. I have a dsl40c from around 2013 and I just purchased a new set of tubes for it. After making the purchase thru my research of how to bias amp power tubes I came across yellow jacket tube converters that change the pins from el34 to be able to use el84s which are cheaper and maybe quieter also tubes but what got me wanting to try them is that I might not have to bias them. Just wondering if anyone has tried them with the dsl40c or with other amps and if they are worth experimenting with?
:welcome:
To The Forum
I have never tried them , so I have no experience of what they might actually do for the tone of the amp.. I really like what I get from my Dsl40c’s as they are, with an SD1 in front of the amp.

Cheers
Mitch

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st - :welcome: to the forum.

2nd - I have, and have had, amps with EL84 power tubes.
They have a different feel and tone, the tubes are not cheaper by much, and I have no idea where you heard they were quieter (unless you mean volume from running at a lower power).
Add the cost of the converters and it starts to sound like snake oil.

3rd - the DSL40C is designed for EL34's.
There are other compatible tubes that can change how your amp sounds.
I run 6CA7 power tubes in my DSL20HR

If you want to experiment with EL84 tubes, you might want to get an amp designed for them.
I have no clue how the converter gizmo works, and/or how it would somehow eliminate the need to bias the amp.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Unless you're diming your amp all the time the EL34 should last quite a while so that difference in expense isn't a big deal. Also, biasing the amp is a function of the amp, not of the tubes. In other words you aren't going to be able to run EL84s w/out getting your hands dirty.

There's plenty of EL84 amps out there. A Jet City JCA20H or 22H would rock your world and a Vox AC15 wouldn't be bad either.

Let the Marshall do his thing

jaked0097

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome to the forums Mitchell. Thanks for all the reply's everyone I really appreciate it. I like the sound of my dsl40c combo to but it has to be played loud which is fine but my hope was that the yellow jackets from tubesandmore (can't post links in forum yet) would make it play quieter but if it changes the tone to much I would revert back to el34.

The idea of getting the converters was the bias issue where maybe they don't have to be bias manually which I heard on this video on youtube "Yellow Jacket YJS demo" (marshall forums wont let me post links yet lol) where the yellow jackets make it a cathode bias amp.

"In electronics, cathode bias (also known as self-bias, or automatic bias) is a technique used with vacuum tubes to make the direct current (dc) cathode voltage positive in relation to the negative side of the plate voltage supply by an amount equal to the magnitude of the desired grid bias voltage. (google search)"

el 84s supposedly have the same sonic capabilities as the el34s but at lower power output and supposedly they break up quicker than the 34s. (Debatable probably lol)

Another question I have is the pentode triode (half power, full power) switch on the back of the dsl40c doesn't that just run the power thru only one power tube or does it just lower power going to both power tubes?

I did check out the 6CA7 tubes fitz288 but I went with el34L going to give these a try. Hopefully there not dull sounding my fingers are crossed. But if I'm not happy with them the 6CA7 is next but I might order some yellow jackets and el84s and experiment to see if its worth it or not. I've already bought the new el34L tubes (eurotubes high gain kit for dsl40c) so I'm definitely going to use those first lol.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
IIRC, at least one version of the "Yellow Jacket" converts fixed bias operation to cathode bias, as well as allowing the use of the EL84 in place of octal tubes. Not sure specifically how its done, but…….? Yellow jackets and the brand have been around quite a while, but I've not seen a lot comments (good or bad) about them. Different models appear to do different things! The ad copy is a little bit confusing and possibly contradictory, at best!

Never Tried 'Em,
Gene

Smellytele

Reaction score
Oh gosh, I had some of those WAY back, like around 1999-2000 maybe. I used them in my Fender Tonemaster. Just going by memory here, but I don't recall them radically changing the tone of the amp, just made it a bit quieter and maybe more compressed. I ended up not really digging them and they are probably still around here somewhere. I'd have to rummage through my gear closet, it's scary in there.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st - :welcome: to the forum.

2nd - I have, and have had, amps with EL84 power tubes.
They have a different feel and tone, the tubes are not cheaper by much, and I have no idea where you heard they were quieter (unless you mean volume from running at a lower power).
Add the cost of the converters and it starts to sound like snake oil.

3rd - the DSL40C is designed for EL34's.
There are other compatible tubes that can change how your amp sounds.
I run 6CA7 power tubes in my DSL20HR

If you want to experiment with EL84 tubes, you might want to get an amp designed for them.
I have no clue how the converter gizmo works, and/or how it would somehow eliminate the need to bias the amp.
I 2nd all of this, especially the 6ca7 power tubes, how do you like them fitz, how long have you had them in your Dsl? I put a set in my SC20h a few months ago and they sound, really great, and very quiet too.

I’m keeping them in.

Besides the original el34s that came stock in the amp, I tried a set of New Production Mullard el34s and ran those for over a year.

The 6ca7’s add a bit of low end, (which is what I was looking for), it helps when playing at very low volumes. When I crank it, sometimes I’ll dial back the bass on the amp, just a tad though.

To @jaked0097, my advice would be,… don’t do it!

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Thanks for the welcome to the forums Mitchell. Thanks for all the reply's everyone I really appreciate it. I like the sound of my dsl40c combo to but it has to be played loud which is fine but my hope was that the yellow jackets from tubesandmore (can't post links in forum yet) would make it play quieter but if it changes the tone to much I would revert back to el34.

The idea of getting the converters was the bias issue where maybe they don't have to be bias manually which I heard on this video on youtube "Yellow Jacket YJS demo" (marshall forums wont let me post links yet lol) where the yellow jackets make it a cathode bias amp.

"In electronics, cathode bias (also known as self-bias, or automatic bias) is a technique used with vacuum tubes to make the direct current (dc) cathode voltage positive in relation to the negative side of the plate voltage supply by an amount equal to the magnitude of the desired grid bias voltage. (google search)"

el 84s supposedly have the same sonic capabilities as the el34s but at lower power output and supposedly they break up quicker than the 34s. (Debatable probably lol)

Another question I have is the pentode triode (half power, full power) switch on the back of the dsl40c doesn't that just run the power thru only one power tube or does it just lower power going to both power tubes?

I did check out the 6CA7 tubes fitz288 but I went with el34L going to give these a try. Hopefully there not dull sounding my fingers are crossed. But if I'm not happy with them the 6CA7 is next but I might order some yellow jackets and el84s and experiment to see if its worth it or not. I've already bought the new el34L tubes (eurotubes high gain kit for dsl40c) so I'm definitely going to use those first lol.
Welcome to the forum Jake. You should have bought a DSL20....no biasing and runs off EL34's or any other octal based tube. Running the DSL40 off EL84's won't offer much in volume reduction. Biasing is fairly simple. You need a decent DVM and a plastic handled jewellers type screwdriver. Locate the three pronged port and the tiny potentiometer(s) in the amp. the centre prong is earth the outers are the two tubes. Using the pot. adjust until they are both around the 38mv mark, leave the amp to settle and job done. Set all controls to zero and leave the speaker plugged in while you do this!
Remember there are lethal voltages present in valve amps so if you're not confident of what you can and cannot touch take it to a tech.

jaked0097

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Georgiatec, and everyone ill will more than likely take it to a tech and see if they will do it for me and let me observe and maybe next time I do it my self. I didn't know that about the dsl20 (no biasing) maybe ill look into a used one of those for a lower volume practice option. The dsl40c has to be pushed to hit sweet spot and I got a green back 2x12 that gives it a decent Marshall tone going to stick with el34 and look into a smaller lunchbox style 20watt or less tube head for practice.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 2nd all of this, especially the 6ca7 power tubes, how do you like them fitz, how long have had them I’d Dsl? I put a set in my SC20h a few months ago and they sound, really great, and very quiet too.

I’m keeping them in.

Besides the original el34s that came stock in the amp, I tried a set of New Production Mullard el34s and ran those for over a year.

The 6ca7’s add a bit of low end, (which is what I was looking for), it helps when playing at very low volumes. When I crank it, sometimes I’ll dial back the bass on the amp, just a tad though.
I've had the 6CA7 tubes in my DSL20 for over a year.
I got a couple of sets of different EL34 equivalent tubes after reading a few threads here.
The E34L set wound up in the Origin20 & the 6CA7 set in the DSL - I like the changes to both amps.
I'd describe the 6CA7 lows as tighter and the highs as smoother - seems to offset a lot of what I hear people complain about in DSL's.
Can't really comment about playing at very low volume. :shrug:
A good OD on the classic channel, EQ in the loop, and my DSL20 covers a lot of tones.

junk notes

Reaction score
With the 6CA7 types I have not tried the EHX in the SC, but I do not recommend them for the SV. I am holding on to them and will try them again in the SC when that comes around.
The EL84 sounds very good in the Suhr Badger 18 or 35 for lower volume, but the EL34 driven Badger 30 sounds great!:2c:

PelliX

Reaction score

I'm really not sure how that would behave with the EL84's in there. I've never actually encountered an amp that switches them to triode, and I would almost think you will need a larger cathode resistor, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

FYI, it doesn't just use one of the output valves in triode (low) mode, it 'skips a section' of each output valves, simply put. Both (EL34 and EL84) are pentodes, so in essence it should be possible - potentially with some circuit adjustments, though.

I'm going to agree with some people here suggested that EL84's might take a bit of the 'bark' out of the Marshall, but whatever flips your switch. :yesway:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the 6CA7 tubes in my DSL20 for over a year.
I got a couple of sets of different EL34 equivalent tubes after reading a few threads here.
The E34L set wound up in the Origin20 & the 6CA7 set in the DSL - I like the changes to both amps.
I'd describe the 6CA7 lows as tighter and the highs as smoother - seems to offset a lot of what I hear people complain about in DSL's.
Can't really comment about playing at very low volume. :shrug:
A good OD on the classic channel, EQ in the loop, and my DSL20 covers a lot of tones.
Yeah I was considering trying those E34L’s, but after talking to @solarburnDSL50 about 6ca7’s, I decided to give them a try. Maybe I’ll try E34L’s next time l’m looking for a change.

Is there a noticeable difference in your Origin 20 with the E34L’s?

Magvike

Reaction score
I used the yellow jackets a lot and I loved them. I used them in a 100 Fuchs ODS for a while and the tone was gorgeous. There is a difference between the tone of El34s and El84s but you may like it. The volume will be reduced so I'm not sure how that will translate to a 40W amp.

curt miller

Reaction score
I play through a 2020 Dsl40cr. The only mod I've made to it is swapping the speaker for a Scumback BM 75 65 watt 16 ohms speaker.

However, I've also added two 112 Avatar closed back cabinets each with one of the aforementioned Scumback Speakers.

Here are the sound ratings of my DSL40CR

1.) Fully Stock: Good
2.) Scumback Speaker: Better
3.) Combo Speaker plus One Added Avatar Cabinet: Much Better.
4.) Bypass the Combo Speaker, Running Two Avatar Cabinets: Muuuuuuuuch Better.

Latest posts