Dsl 15c speaker

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Sg-ocaster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Member

Hi guys. I have a dsl15c I've had for a year now. Liked the amp right at the store off the bat(went in to buy an origin 20 and walked out with this) Though i wanted less gain and less hashy treble. I converted the ultra channel to OD1 and also swapped the bright cap from 470p to 100p....then raised the cathode resistor value on v1b and man there's some jcm800 stuff happening now....me likey allot. Also rolled some tubes But ended up only changing v1.But I still feel the speaker could be a bit better. I thought g12h30 as I like those....but don't really want the added sensitivity as I am able to gig/record at the mv sweet spot with the stock speaker. Any recommendations for a little smoother classic rockish m magnet speaker???
    Gotta say I think this lil amp with the typical online mods is a serious tone machine worthy some recognition.I use mine as a single channel keeping the classic channels gain and vol off...as with all 2ch amps(I've used) there is a slight bleed through.
    Oh yea and turn the verb off as it seems to add harshness....dont like the verb.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I have a DSL15C, as well. It is interesting that you did the mods; I have been considering doing them, as well. I am curious, how would you describe the difference before and after?

I was messing around with the amp's settings yesterday and love how it chugs with gain around 4. As described in the user manual, the Ultra Gain channel mimics a mid-boosted JCM800. The amp is very mid-centric. With the Vintage 30 I have in mine, I find the speaker makes the mids even more pronounced. I like it, but you sound like someone who's looking for something more balanced. In that case, I would recommend a more scooped speaker. Figure out what the dominant mid frequency is on the amp and then get the speaker that has a scoop in that range to compensate for the strong mids.

I have also tried it with the G12T-75 before and thought it paired well enough in the sense that I did not notice any obvious issues with the combination. However, I realize that many people hate the G12T-75, so it might not be the speaker for you. The DSL15C is also a very dark amp, and a brighter speaker would help offset the dark voicing.

3. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Member

I noticed after the mods gain is at 7 to get what I was using at 3.5 - 4 on the knob. Treble was less hissy and piercing and more smooth and classic marshall and the fizz in the tone was waaayyy reduced. Did loss a little bit of the on demand feedback I could get but I add back in an sd1 with the gain off and vol near dimed for when I want over the top.....easy enough to try if you clip the parts at there body and leave enough leg length you can do the mods on top of the board. Expierament between 3.9 and 5k for the v1b cathode. Could also try different bright caps 180p for a lil brighter tone.
    I put a differant 12ax7 in v1 but sounded good even with the stock tube.
    And yea I remember liking the g12t75 when I used them a number of years ago...may have to see who has one I can plug into....i remember the older 80s ones sounding a bit better I had a 2x12 with um.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  4. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

I have tried 4 different speakers in my 40C. The original 70/80, Egnater Classic 80(Lead 80), WGS Vet30 & ET65.
    Ranking my preference with the 1st 3 much better than #4.
    1. Vet30
    2. Egnater
    3. ET65
    4. 70/80

The Egnater wins when I run pre-amps from my Helix into the FX return.