DSL 100 New OT Transplant..

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Adrian R, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

In the midst of major transplant surgery..ugh...the quest for killer tone never ends!

new ot.jpg

Travis398 likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The sound is in the preamp design, not the transformer.
    If you need to tweak the performance, changing transformers is not the solution.

"transformer upgrades" are very misleading.

True
    Transformer manufacturers want you to buy more transformers.
    But what does that produce?
    Pretty much nothing.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

4. Adrian R

Oh, here we goooo...again someone whom apparently hasn't swapped one out that was perfectly operating....and was there to experience the difference. Dude your cool, but your really got to stop..lol. I've swapped out two already in DSLs and noticed a difference in performance. You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind...like Tommy to not notice the difference.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  5. Adrian R

Powered it up...let it warm...in standby... then with the MM ready to measure the bias...drum roll ensued... flipped the switch to play mode...YES...current at the pins...bias was close... plugged in geetar...red channel OD 1 straight in...gain at 5 mv at 3.5... turned up guitar's volume BAM!!! killer tone...wow...definitely louder and clearer then the stock OT..no EXPLETIVE doubt. Might leave in the stock PT...even though it hums louder then the CT in my other DSL...I like the higher plate voltage as the CTs are all rated 460... the stock one is closer to around 470-80 vdc gives it more attack.

Definitely an upgrade worth doing! Heyboer still has the original plans from Francois's 'Lydian' specifically DSL 100 design.. Bolts right in..even the color codes are the same except the purple wire.

Sounds awesome!

Lance Chambers likes this.
  6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Just ignore him. He thinks he knows it all.
    Clueless to what upgrades actually sound like.

7. Adrian R

Hey Micky...dude you remember JCM/JMP?....I know you do...you've been here for a long time. He was the one that designed the OT for the DSL. Works great. You can call Heyboer directly, and they still have the exact plans. I called they several times and ordered one. They ship it out in a couple weeks...even without paying for it and they bill you...old school..lol. Cool company.

8. Adrian R

All done... Lydian OT mod and Lydian choke mounted..ready for action!(Heyboer)

otdone.jpg

Dogs of Doom and Lance Chambers like this.
  9. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yup, I remember him. There a lot of that same crew that aren't here anymore, but every once in a while somebody will dig up an old post and I can go thru and pick out the old crew.
    We had some great times, and worked on a lot of great amps. Most of that crew took off during the great sh!tstorm, and a lot of the great techs left when AMS started feeding the newbies full of crap and suggesting they perform dangerous tests that had no real bearing on the actual problem. Too bad really, this Workbench section is but a fraction of the great resource it is now.
    Glad your DSL is working and sounding great.

Adrian R likes this.
  10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I don't believe a single word of it.

Further: the majority of people who "upgraded" transformers, said that it made no difference at all.
    But this is a fine era for transformer salesmen. Isn't it?

11. Adrian R

Ugh...I don't what to say...but as Jimmy would say; but ah, are you experienced? lol. Trust me dude, I am not making this up...and unless you've tried it yourself, your opinion is without merit.. period...

12. Adrian R

I absolutely love these amps man..*with the upgrades*.. Build quality...more specifically the PCB mounted sockets and spade connection is suspect..and you have to be careful doing these upgrades.. but man... I have owned just about every Marshall ever built, excluding the 6100 and some of the signature series...but for my needs they are my favorite..

13. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

confirmation bias can be a funny thing

that being said lydian guitars made me a sweet tele neck that's getting put on a new build of mine. made it to my specs and a surprisingly good process considering he's up in Canada

14. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

15. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

LMAO...The giff was for Adrian not you AMS !!!
    BP

16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that the DSL100 sacrifices the cathode follower, which gives a low Z drive signal to the tone stack, for a conventional cascaded gain stage.

I think that's probably the single most important tonal change of any single change between the classic JMP/JCM circuit topology and the higher gain modern topologies.

All the Marshalls I like best have a cathode follower circuit. Not saying that it's the cathode follower that makes the amp deliver the tone I like, but while correlation is not causation, but when correlation is at 100 percent, you have to consider that maybe there IS causation.

I had a DSL100H, a 2016 version with discretely wired output tubes. I never really liked it much. My 2203 and my Superleads were much better for me, and still are.

thetragichero likes this.
  17. _Steve

_Steve Member

I'm actually quite interested in this. Do you have a spectrum analyzer? I was under the impression that different OTs have significantly different frequency responses which should be clearly visible on a spectrum plot.

18. Adrian R

No, but I have the Flux Capacitor!! lol... Just from experience... I have upgraded actually 3 DSL 100s in this manner...and each time the difference is notable. The amp just get punchier...tighter, more dynamic... It's not a night and day difference, but if you pay attention to your tone.. and have an ear for it... it's unmistakable...

Been saying this for more then just a few years now... The naysayers have come and gone man... but I swear by it. It's imo, the best value in a decent, hi gain gigging amp.. I'd put it up against any boutique amp any day...

19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And sometimes you can get them for under $60..:fever:

20. Adrian R

Yup, but your missing a heart in that one! But yeah man...you can get them really cheap if you look hard. So many people are scared of them because of a few earlier ones with bias issues. The last one I just paid $600 shipped from Reverb. It was absolute mint condition... like new. No issues whatsoever... even came with vintage tubes! I just put another $160 into it...didn't have to...but wanted the amp to rock hard like I know it can. You can get them much cheaper though...typically you can find one in good working order...in average shape for like around $400 or so...