DSL… the WORST of ALL Marshalls?!?!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Don't feel bad bro, had me fooled too!

Lol

Tone can be had many different ways, and the DSL and Origins are two of the ways I happen to love as well.

But now that I know that it's the worst not sure if I can ever play them again!

Of course, I'm full of shit with that post.
It's sort of like how I never knew that morbidly obese chick was actually hot and sexy until the media told me so.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The JCM 2000 DSL is an interesting beast. As all of you know that have one, or had one, yourselves.

2 basic channels, but really 4 channels, with Green Clean/Crunch, Red Lead1/Lead2. Then, add in Tone Shift and Deep options. Plus, the volume difference on the Green channel between Clean and Crunch.

I've got a 1998 50 watt JCM 2000 DSL. I mostly use the Green channel on Clean with it turned up for clean tones, obviously, but also as a pedal platform. I like the Crunch tones on the Green channel, but the volume difference is a pain. I use the Red channel for my Marshall crunch. Since I'm not a high gain player, I don't use a lot of preamp gain. Just a mix of both sections, preamp and power. I attenuate with a Torpedo Captor X so I can crank it and not blow out my ears.

But then again, at lower volumes, I can also use my SC20H that sits next to it. Love both of them.

I've bought and sold a few Marshall amps, but I'll never get rid of either of these. Even when I add more Marshall's again.

Two MarshallAmps202209.jpg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I was having some issues with both my TSL and DSL, wierd popping noises and a strange ca chunka ca chuka sound, then a brrrrruuummp. Said the hell with em both and gave em to my tech for $400 for both. Tech calls me back a month or so later, says there is nothing wrong with either of em??? Got both amps back, as it turns out it was a bad circuit the electrician installed onto our circuit breaker panel!!! I took a heavy duty extension chord and ran it to another outlet in the room and all the noises went away!!!! Both amps are now quiet with no odd noises.

Still wondering how a new outlet could causes these noises?????

Very happy they are both fine...
I’ve had virtually the same thing happen.

There’s a certain outlet in my music room that some of my amps don’t like. They will hiss and crackle and make noises, but some other amps are fine.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
LOL I was having some issues with both my TSL and DSL, wierd popping noises and a strange ca chunka ca chuka sound, then a brrrrruuummp. Said the hell with em both and gave em to my tech for $400 for both. Tech calls me back a month or so later, says there is nothing wrong with either of em??? Got both amps back, as it turns out it was a bad circuit the electrician installed onto our circuit breaker panel!!! I took a heavy duty extension chord and ran it to another outlet in the room and all the noises went away!!!! Both amps are now quiet with no odd noises.

Still wondering how a new outlet could causes these noises?????

Very happy they are both fine...
Funny that you should say this... I've always had a low-level hum from my DSL. The power cord that GC shipped with it seemed a bit wimpy to me, so I recently ordered a more heavy-duty type off Amazon. The first time I powered it on with this cable, no hum. I was also getting a very quiet, subtle "thump" every several seconds. I didn't think to listen for that, so I will next time.

LCW

Reaction score
Maybe the key is buying a used DSL you know is solid lol. I bought one from GC used section. Had a 2020 build date on back sticker. Figured it was good. But knock on wood... .I guess you never know what you're getting from a used amp - someone else's problem, or something that is proven to be solid.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Maybe the key is buying a used DSL you know is solid lol. I bought one from GC used section. Had a 2020 build date on back sticker. Figured it was good. But knock on wood... .I guess you never know what you're getting from a used amp - someone else's problem, or something that is proven to be solid.

About a month before I got my current amp, I bought another one from the GC used section, listed as "Great" condition. I had to return it within a few days. My current one was listed as "Good" condition and they even specified that it was a 1999 model. I haven't had the first problem except for a busted speaker jack.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I think like said previously the sheer number of DSLs out there have a lot to do with it AND you'll mostly see or hear comments from those having issues. For everyone 1 person posting about issues with a faulty DSL there are probably 50 happy customers with proper functioning amplifiers that have no reason to post etc.

The only new Marshall I ever had issues with was a Haze40c and after 2 back to back amplifiers with issues I decided to just move onto something else. Just an observation but I feel possibly the JTM60 and JCM600s might be plagued the most because I don't ever see them all that often leading me to believe the few I do see are the lucky ones that skimmed by without major failure... Or they just weren't that popular to begin with.

Ironically my DSL40c is one of my favorite Marshalls I've ever played and I used to avoid them all the time due to believing they were inferior Marshalls.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Love my DSL100HR and DSL40CR! And I have played through alot of amazing Marshalls. Can't beat the versatility, effects loop, dual master volumes, external bias points, reverb (not the best, but it's there) Also, with the use of footswitch PEDL-91016, the sky is the limit! The amp has great tone, and excels with the right combination of speakers and tubes.

Last edited:

don550

Reaction score
I have a couple of Marshalls, vintage and new… I purchased a new DSL 100H in 2015 and my amp is 2014. While I Love my Plexi and my 800. I mostly leave them in our studio and take the 100H out to gig. In my band we cover a lot of different genres so versatility is a must and I’m playing Les Pauls and Strats. I’ve learned to bias my amps and I change my tubes 1-2 times a year as I’m gigging my a lot.. Changing 2x a year maybe overkill but since I’m gigging 3-4 times a week and getting to play my amp at medium to large venues it just gives me peace of mind that I‘ve got fresh tubes and my amp is biased.

I‘m playing the 100H today at a outdoor venue where I’ll get to put it thru it’s paces thru a 4x12 ..

I must be one of the lucky owners because for the last 7 years I‘ve rotated the 100H into gigs a lot and never had any issues.

Knocking on Wood besides Heavens Door!

JamminJeff

Reaction score
Ask 9 musicians a question and receive 13 opinions, including my 2 cents, which is 14.

In about 10 years, the DSL series will be on Reverb listed as "vintage" and for insanely high prices, just like everything else.

If I look back and my amp isn't on fire, I'm good 2 go !

Play what ya got. Upgrade when ya can. Fire extinguisher, optional.

V-man

Reaction score
In about 10 years, the DSL series will be on Reverb listed as "vintage" and for insanely high prices, just like everything else.
Well, “Reverb…”

The problem as I see it is the break from UK. There are many 2203 iterations (JMP, JCM, X, Sigs, 1Ws, Studios) but everything is UK-based, somewhat costly out of the gate, and consequently lower production numbers. Once DSLs were made overseas it has got to be the case that 3-5 years (pre-plandemic/supply-chain days) production has likely matched or usurped the JCM 2000 production numbers.

I wouldn’t bet the farm, because I can envision a scenario where a Slash Van Bonamassa could conceivably rise to prominence in the ‘30s and sorted the DSL out to a specific HR range or a JCM 2000 + choke, putting a surge on one specific line and maybe some others enjoy a collateral uptick in value, but absent that, I wager the DSL is too oversaturated to ever surge in the market like that.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Touch wood, my 2009 build, purchased new in 2014 JCM 2K DSL100 has never missed a beat through years of regular gigs & rehearsals.
Still stock, only ever had regular tube change & bias checks.
I actually should do the speaker ground mod though now. Always only used 16ohms 4x12, but increasingly now using 8ohm also

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well, “Reverb…”

The problem as I see it is the break from UK. There are many 2203 iterations (JMP, JCM, X, Sigs, 1Ws, Studios) but everything is UK-based, somewhat costly out of the gate, and consequently lower production numbers. Once DSLs were made overseas it has got to be the case that 3-5 years (pre-plandemic/supply-chain days) production has likely matched or usurped the JCM 2000 production numbers.

I wouldn’t bet the farm, because I can envision a scenario where a Slash Van Bonamassa could conceivably rise to prominence in the ‘30s and sorted the DSL out to a specific HR range or a JCM 2000 + choke, putting a surge on one specific line and maybe some others enjoy a collateral uptick in value, but absent that, I wager the DSL is too oversaturated to ever surge in the market like that.
I wouldn't be so sure. There will very possibly be ads that say things like:

[email protected]@K!!! DSL100H! VIETNAM MADE!!!!!

Latest posts