>

Dokken in 2021?

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Dogs of Doom, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Funny how the two guys who hated each other the most are the only two original guys in the band. Lol. Glad to see them out playing at least. And after all the years of tone chasing and gear whoring, George sounds just fine through a JCM 2000. Ha!

2. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

GL looks like a fit Steven Segal

3. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I played some of their songs back then in the band i was in. I didn't dislike them but I wasn't a big fan even though their heyday was my high school and early 20s. Way more into the Brit thing. Good to see them still getting out though.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

No shit, seems hes rather lost it!

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I loved Dokken back in the day but was never really a fan of this song!

6. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Whoa , my how we hate . I never liked EVH (I can see the torches and clubs from the mob) after the first album but I never followed Dokken. His early work seemed best . I knew Dokken when he played clubs before George Lynch and was a great performer back then.
    Most bands are ghosts of their former selves.

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

actually, I think that Mick was the most spiteful towards Dokken. Jeff, probably wasn't too far behind. He's been busy doing all kinds of other stuff anyway, so, he probably just sees it as drama, that he doesn't need...

Lynch, seems like a guy that wants to work w/ just about anyone. He had his niche' w/ Dokken & probably feels indebted to the ideal, even if not the man. Anyway, he probably figured that, if EVH & DLR could do it, so could he... :shrug:

8. Dogs of Doom

I think it was because the show wasn't over, & didn't know if it was worth the trouble handing it off & back...

Mitchell Pearrow and Deftone like this.
  9. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

He also had a back surgery that has left him with some paralysis. Dude is 66 yrs old.

Comparing Don & Vince isn't really fair, IMO. Vince's problems seem to be self inflicted.

10. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Another thing about cancer treatments is that a lot of times steroids are given which can also cause bloating.

11. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

just stumbled upon these videos a few days ago, pretty cool seeing Lynch still has great chops and imo still looks like he can be taken seriously unlike a lot of washed up rockers.

I've never cared for Dokken but I can appreciate Lynch, I'll tolerate a few songs to hear his playing.

Mitchell Pearrow and StrummerJoe like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I had always liked Dokken, and wished I could play like George.
    He can still play well in my book, and I still wish I could play as well as he can.
    Cheers

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  13. drag_slick

drag_slick New Member

Spent some time BSing with George after a Lynch Mob concert a few years ago. Was a great show and he was a super nice dude.

IMG954127.jpg

14. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

I met Jeff Pilson in early '83. He was playing bass for Randy Hansen at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, and a few of us were talking after the show. He said he was leaving for LA to join a band down there (Dokken). Within a couple of weeks he was with Dokken on American Bandstand.
    Anyway, nice guy, and very calm temperament is what I remember. Very professional.
    I absolutely loved Dokken back in the day. Lynch was one of my favorite players through the '80's.
    Don Dokken I noticed has seemingly lost his voice. He doesn't hit the upper register notes anymore. I likely wouldn't go see Dokken, though I would go see Lynch Mob any night.

15. Dogs of Doom

I've never met Pilson, but, right after Dokken split up, he had ad's out in all the local magazines "bassist for hire", etc. Now, he's been doing a lot of production, so, he does that & keeps busy & plays for projects he can have fun & enjoy. He picks & chooses...

So, he's a pretty busy guy. Generally, to be busy, like that, you have to be personable...

I've met Don a few x's & he definitely is not personable. He's all into himself & whatever is in his sights, at the moment, nothing else matters...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

I saw Dokken once in about 2001ish (?) opening for Y&T. Never was interested in them in in the 80's but they were great, all the trendiness gone, no dopey clothes or stupid hair, just straight rockers. Don't know who the guitar player was but it was a really great show. I'd go see them now.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. stefann

stefann Member

Don has definitely lost all of his upper range. He seems like he has just barely over an octave of usable range. This is much more tolerable than a few years ago when he was still trying to go for higher notes though. He could make this talk-singing thing work, his timbre right now is in that Lemmy vein of raspy/smokey/throaty. He actually sings some decent melodies that fit the song for the most part, it's just that he's mixed way too low and his voice has lost a lot of brightness/resonance/ping, so you can't hear him over the music.

Definitely a far cry from Vince Neil, who is not only in denial like Don used to be, but also sings only half of his syllables, and even those he does sing, he mangles.