Does an amps sound and feel change the longer it's on?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Buzzard, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I read a while back that malcolm young used marshall amps and for a short time mesa/boogie.He complained that playing live as the night wore on the amps got too spongy.He said he preferred 100w and wanted a very loud clean sound.Do amps actually sound and feel different the longer they are on? If so is it the older style plexi,1987,1959 2204/2203 designs?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Thar is some truth to that if a speakers and tubes heats up it can sound different

pulsonicsound likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

There is a warm up time. My black dot Mesa Mark III sounded terrible when it was first turned on. But let it warm up for half an hour and it became magical.

One thing about guitar amps, is that the transformers are not intended for continuous duty cycles. A few hours at time is what they're made for, and after that they start warming up and affecting the tone.

4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

When I was gigging my JTM45 JTMAC.JPG After about 4 hours it would start to have a little drive even when trying to get the sweet cleans out of it. Not much, just the crystal cleans the JTM is known for kinda goes away. Still wouldn't trade it for the world. Well maybe the world.

5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I swear that most of my Tube amps sound better after they’re on for a while. Either that or my ears adjust or something.

CraigP and twangsta like this.