Does a full sized Marshall head really weigh too much ????

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I’m a little bit surprised that people keep saying they are downsizing from ‘proper’ Marshall heads to a studio series of sort just because they’re lighter , really???? A full blown head is what , 50lbs roughly , that’s not outrageous is is . Maybe if you had to carry it for half a mile or so , but I doubt many do in reality . Come on guys man up , 50/100 watt heads with 4x12’s , you know it makes sense :flex:.

2. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

Ha! How weak the mortal frame, we all get older and can't quite lift things like we did in our youth. Vintage Marshall heads - heavy yes. Those big transformers really bring da weight!

For the record, I gig with a full size head and typically a 4x12 cab. I can't say that I have not been tempted to get a giggable small combo amp for ease of transport, setup etc. Most folks watching me are drunk off their ass and couldn't give a hoot if I have the "Brown Sound" or not :)

3. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Ain't the heads it's the 4 x 12s....

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

um... ever try lifting a vintage modern 2466 head.Holy shit is what my back and neck said when I picked one up.By far the heaviest marshall head I've ever had out of the 20 I own. Plus the transformer weighs a metric ton. Like picking up a cinder block that also tilts to one side.

GIBSON67, ibmorjamn and matttornado like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

The heads are kinda heavy. And you're severely limited in speaker choice if you want to run a 2x12. Furthermore, a lot of people aren't very knowledgeable and just think it needs a 4x12, period.

There's actually plenty of speakers that you can run 1x12 with a 50-60w head or 2-tube-pulled 100/120w, but hardly anybody even sees that as an option

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. donwagar

donwagar Well-Known Member

The thread I posted is probably one that you're referring to. The answer, of course, is: it depends.

As I've gotten older (I'm 69), my back has gone, I simply can't carry heavy shit anymore. And I intend to keep gigging as long as I can.

Saying 'man up' is nonsense.

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I get this stuff, pretty simple to understand,… When people get a little older they don’t want, or need, to carry around a full size head and a 4-12 cab anymore, if they don’t have to.

Especially if you’re always toting it around by yourself! Downsizing seems to me as a natural progression in the industry, it’s been happening for years, hasn’t it? Venues are smaller, stages are smaller, and there are smaller crowds too.

At least that’s what I’ve been seeing the last 25, 30 years or so. On the other hand maybe my experience is anecdotal and doesn’t reflect the bigger picture.

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Get thine scrawny ass to the gym! Find a weight. Pick it up. Put it down. Repeat until it's easy. Find a slightly heavier weight. Repeat process until muscles have appeared and you are no longer scrawny and weak.

At 56 I'm at the strongest I've ever been in my life. And still increasing my strength, because I am active, because I won't slow down, and because I'm hitting the gym regularly with a plan.

The trick to carrying heavy amps is to carry one in each hand so you're balanced. :cool:

9. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Word brother! I go to the gym with the motivation to keep moving my gear and not be a fat, old, lazy ass. ...but I bought an SV20... NOT for the weight but because I wanted that Plexi vibe without the massive volume! ...but I hear ya!

10. tidbit

tidbit Well-Known Member

I still gig my 2203 and my 4x12 (I have a gig tonight with it) for larger shows and outdoor venues but I have switched back to various combos for small gigs, pickup jams and anywhere there is no easy load in. It’s just easier.
    The days af hauling the 4x12 around for every gig or jam, without exception, are long gone.
    It’s not the weight but the overall hassle.

11. Blokkadeleider

Blokkadeleider Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for me there is no amp like the Black Flag. So that means lugging it around and staying fit. But then I'm only 50 so it's probably not a big issue for a long time. :D
    No! We have not been able to profile the amp with a satisfying result on Kemper, Bias etc...
    Sometimes I am jealous of my bass player. 900 Watts and great tone from this Darkglass thingy weighing less than 3 kg.

Gr,

Gerrit.

12. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying about profilers/modellers. They're making a 2D sonic picture of a 3D sonic object. And when examined carefully using 2D measuring equipment, it looks (sounds) exactly the same. But there is a dimension that is being missed.

Just as the best photograph can't capture "being there", neither can a modeller or profiler, not until they figure out how to do the equivalent of making full color holograms with a camera.

I think modellers are great. But they are not yet exactly the same thing as the amp being modelled. That being said, I have no motivation to sell my Fractal modeller. It gives me access to tones that come out of amps I don't own and don't want to seek out, buy, and store.

Tyler Cielen and donwagar like this.
  13. dodona

dodona Member

when I was young once I had to carry my Marshall 100w head from the shop to the bus station (<500 meters). At the station I thought I would die.

14. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, just from reading posts on the forum, sounds like most of the guys buying the small amps don't gig, and probably rarely move them. I didn't have a problem using my 100w head and 4x12 playing out, at least not due to the weight, that's what band members are for. I switched to an Axe FX for live, primarily for it's versatility and requiring less "physical space" (not due to weight). I also supply the subs and mains (powered mains for smaller gigs) for our band, so I have all that to haul, which leaves just enough room in an SUV for the Axe FX. Even without heads and guitar cabs, we still have heavy mains and subs to move when playing out, so you're still moving heavy stuff around (again, what band members are for). Playing at home, I couldn't care less if an amp or cab weighed 100 lbs., as I rarely move them. I do get it, for the guys still gigging with a tube amp and cab, wanting to keep it easy to transport.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I still use my full size heads and I’m a senior, but try lifting an AC30 combo. It’s not that much of a problem lifting heads in and out of the car. But I had to stop using my 4x12 after I sold my van, they don’t fit into the car that easily. I now use a 2x12 with wheels on it to get the heads in and out of gigs and rehearsals. I admit that I bought my 2204 at a time when my back was giving me problems and I felt like I could no longer carry my 2203.

Yes, staying in shape is obviously helpful. But to you younger guys, after you turn 60, stuff starts to hurt no matter how well you take care of yourself.

16. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

Picking up a 100W head is easy using both hands. Picking up a 4x12 is hell.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  17. andrus108

andrus108 Member

Boys need to man up... and finally visit a hardware store, where they pick up a dolly.

With that it's easy to transport all kinds of heavy stuff, cause the only time you need to exert yourself is when dragging up the stairs; down the stairs is more of a balancing act. And on flat surface it's holiday.

Edit: Also I will be singing praises for removing two speakers from a 4x12, and replacing with plywood covers. 1/4 of the weight gone, and you might like the sound. Find demos comparing traditional and oversized Mesa 4x12, and the difference in sound is basically what happens when you give speakers more room to breathe in the box. Of course it only works with high powered speakers, classic 25-30W models will be on edge 50W heads, and blow up with 100 watters...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  18. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Seems like it would be a little different for each person to me...

I used to be able to lift a fully assembled Mercury V6 outboard motor off the floor and move it (325 lb. and hard to grip). My next door neighbor struggles with a sack of taters.

I think amps are trending smaller because modern PA systems are more powerful and efficient and because some of us are more mindful of harmful sound levels than we were in years past.

Everybody has their own preferences in tools. Whatever makes life livable for you. One guy might want to gig a Pro Jr and the next guy might want to gig two full stacks. What difference does it make which the other guy brings to the party?

19. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Not to stray too far off topic, but I think society in general has evolved into one of "convenience". When I was young, our family car didn't even have AC, and we thought nothing of driving around in 95 deg. weather with the windows down. I bucked 75 lb. bails of hay all day in the Summer heat, sweating like a pig. Now days, people think they're dying if the AC on their car goes out. Marshall heads aren't any heavier today than they were when bands were using nothing but 50 and 100 watt heads and 4x12 cabs, we've just gotten a little softer and use to "convenience" (IMO).

bigbadorange, Ivan H, nkd and 7 others like this.
  20. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member