Documentaries - Did you ever notice when .........

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

You watch a historic documentary and the voiceover quotes of the "great whomever.." play into the soundtrack saying something ..profound while they were completely in a place all alone or were the last one to die on a battle field? The "great whomever.." may say his last dying words just atop his breath to himself in a last profound and dramatic moment.

No one was there to capture their quote(s), or anything else for that matter. If there could have been, they were usually "nobodies" at that time, and would not have had a historian following them around to catch their last words atop their dying breath. Or, when they are abandoned on a boat lost at sea and we hear about decision they made and those "profound" quotes about them. If a historian was on the battle field too with them, was he bulletproof and left to be the real sole survivor of the war that ran back with his line for line notes in his little notebook to start working on a story about a person that he has no idea will be of any significance one day?

Please help me with this if you can. It drives me nuts when this stuff is on TV and everyone else is just eating it all up. I had to leave the room.

Sorry if I've ruined documentaries for any of you. Wasn't my intent. :shrug:

Dogs of Doom and DaDoc like this.
  2. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Lol.

DaDoc likes this.
  3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

SHIIIIIT!!!!!! The last words of every man who walked the plank..............

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

What you're watching is a genre of historical costume drama fiction which hides under just enough of a veneer of documentarism that you can still mock your wife for watching Outlander. Or, whatshisname, the PBS/BBC redcoat brit in the triangle hat.

...just barely, though.

Sapient likes this.
  5. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

It's entertainment, or an attempt at such.

I've watched a lot of those "rockumentaries" in which they have a group of music critics or whatever who hadn't even been born at the time speculating and giving their "expert opinions" about bands and musicians from decades ago, quite often with a negative spin of some kind..And I've heard SO much wrong information from these people presented as "facts" it's ridiculous..Hell, I was there when it happened! :nutkick:

Sensationalism and negativity seems to be the rule these days, rather than facts.

And while on the subject of music critics..

Everyone knows that music critics are for the most part full of crap..They're the ones who panned every Led Zepplin album as soon as they came out, and then they all went platinum! Again..:nutkick: :lol:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020