Do you modify the wiring in your guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Alligatorbling, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

I rewired my HSS stat so that is has one master volume and one master tone. The 2nd tone knob is a dummy with nothing wired to it. I used a random pot I found in my parts drawer. The two functioning pots are CTS 500k audio taper. I have a .033 orange drop capacitor.

What about you? Do you like to modify the circuitry in your guitars?

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

3. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I do not

Sapient likes this.
  4. kebek

kebek Active Member

Same here, except pickup upgrades sometimes

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Since every guitar I currently own is one I built, I'd say that the answer has to be yes. No two are wired in exactly the same way.

6. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I wish I was skilled enough to do wiring work.

7. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I do fairly often. Though I started just buying drop in wiring harnesses for my more expensive guitars. I don't really have room to work with a soldering iron safely and get annoyed with not having three hands. My newest strat has a Neck/Bridge blender pot, universal tone and volume pots From SmokeyB's ebay store and I really like it.

If I have hot humbuckers, especially something like a JB in the bridge I always add a coil split to the inside coil furthest from the bridge to get a nice kind of stratty sound. My last HSS strat had a small push/push switch that added the neck to whatever 5 way switch setting you were using.

I guess I just like having the options, sometimes I do use them. Mostly when I'm using a humbucker guitar, feeling lazy and don't fancy digging out a strat.

Sustainium likes this.
  8. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

No, for two reasons:

1. There are no wires in a Parker Fly.
    2. Rather than modify equipment, I buy what I want to begin with.

9. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I started playing in the early '70s just as the modding craze was taking off. And my dad was an electrical engineer who taught me what all the components are, what they do, and how to solder long before I picked up a guitar. So yeah, I enjoyed experimenting and tried just about everything over the years.

My second guitar was a Les Paul Deluxe. I removed the pickup covers and converted the pickups to 4 conductors, then made a new control cover plate with a bunch of slide switches for splitting, phase, series/parallel -- and discovered I didn't particularly like any of the different sounds. Had other guitars after that with various switches already installed and felt the same, so I don't bother with any of that stuff.

Tried all the cap types. I actually prefer ceramic disks -- they seem to add a little growl. Not enough to bother changing if a guitar has something else, though. (I do change cap values if I don't like the stock voicing -- my Strat came with a vintage style 0.1 that was way too dark and had to go.)

I like the way the tone darkens when I roll down the volume, so I've never bothered with treble bleeds or '50s wiring.

I've tried neck + bridge on Strats and don't dig it.

Pretty much, the only mod that's 100% a winner for me is Strats need a bridge tone control, with a no-load tone pot so I can still get that brash wide open tone on the occasions I want it.

Recently got a 2013 SG with the "dreaded" pcb and the tiniest, littlest, cutest ceramic caps I've ever seen. I don't feel any urge to change a thing.
    -------------------------
    Pickup changes are a different subject, I think.

Sustainium likes this.
  10. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I generally don't mod, unless I'm swapping pickups. I did, however, rewire my HSS strat so that the rear tone knob controls both the middle and bridge pickups. Otherwise, the bridge humbucker was way too ice-picky. It is a very easy mod.

11. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I don't have any guitars without my own wiring mods! its part of the fun for me.

My two best are a 1991 Gibson LP studio, and a 2010 Fender HSS Strat. When I got these, I'd previously rewired a few beater guitars, so I put in exactly what I liked best, and haven't changed them in quite a few years now.

12. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

:coffee: What exactly did you do to the LP?

13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

14. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

15. roycaster

roycaster Well-Known Member

I like to wire the neck position to bypass the tone control on Telecasters…

16. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I have re-wired one guitar, my Squier Strat. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Hot Rails. I replaced all of the pots and the 5-way switch with American Strat parts. I wired the rear tone knob to the bridge pickup. Pretty typical things to do to a Stat I guess.

17. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Currently my old mij stratocaster has HSS....master volume....1 tone for middle and neck 1 tone for bridge a coil tap switch for bridge HB and another toggle to turn the neck pup on independent of the switch....allowing bridge and neck in position 1 and all three in position 2.....has a Duncan JB in the bridge and two formvar dimarzio singles in mid/ neck that I peeled windings off to make them more vintagey sounding crl switch cts pots orange drop .022s

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  18. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I do my own wiring and have experimented with a few mods.
    My HH guitar with 2xVol & 1xTone is wired with 3 Push/Pulls for coil splits (simultaneous) and Series/Parallel (individual).

I have wired SSS Strats in the past with a 3-way for neck and bridge.
    One Vol for N+B & Tone for all 3, and the middle knob for Middle Vol.

I have a HSS I tried a selection of pickups in and decided to install terminal connectors in the cavity to avoid loads of re-soldering.

It's all good fun. :)

KraftyBob likes this.
  19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its not a matter of like, its a matter of necessity to get the tone and functionality you need in a guitar. Most all of my guitars are rewired I cant say I "liked" doing it though. :yesway:

20. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

Its easy bro, just print out a diagram and follow it to a T. Think of it as paint by numbers.

Learning to solder doesn't take long.