Diy\ Custom Amp Head Cabinet

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Stemiles90, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Stemiles90

Stemiles90 Active Member

Hi,i have an orange tt head that sounds great,but have never really liked its appearance. Anyone know of any U.K based companys that could build me a tolex covered wooden one?[will be taking the top off the tt]
    Or,i could ask my joiner brother to build one,but wonder if its hard to cover in tolex? Another option would be to leave it bare and stain it, maybe put some amp grill cloth on the front and a leather handle,cheers.

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

There are some instructional type videos on doing tolex on YouTube. Do a search and see if it is something you want to try. I would agree with Dogs' on building a nice cab out of an exotic wood, as I really like the way some have turned out.

ricksconnected likes this.
  4. Stemiles90

Stemiles90 Active Member

cheers to both,think am gonna keep the wood light and put a light varnish on,maybe some basket weave speaker cloth on the front panel to match my orange cab,chicken head knobs on the tt,and some air vents and a leather handle on top,also some kind of protection on the corners.Was thinking about drilling through the bottom of the new cab straight into the tt's chasis to keep it in place[there's four rubber things there already screwed on the tt]and make it a bit bigger than the chassis to allow air to circulate. Need to decide how to allow access to re-tube occasionally,maybe just a removable back section,any input is gratefully received! Many thanks