Dissing on Metalica

ELS

Reaction score
I just watched this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10765852/
and what a shit show... I refuse to believe that it sounded that shitty live, and the awful autotune, I'd rather hear Het sing half a step off than the aftermath of that being run trough autotune
and will someone tell the sound guy to lay off the compressor on the kick drum a tad? makes my ears bleed.
well it could be worse, like on of the metalica tribute/cover/whatever bands that I saw live once, impossible to hear anything except the orchestra, somehow that was clear. I saw some EQ curve for something on the digital mixer and it looked like the topography of West Virginia...

ELS

Reaction score
So they usually don't have an overly compressed sound? I know that it's always like a mid-cut tone for them but I mean like compressed as much as in that S&M 2 show?
When I saw that tribute band show I thought well metallica wouldn't have this shit of a tone but since it was the same in that movie I start to question if they do...

RCM 800

Reaction score
saw them on the AJFA tour and Black Album. They sounded great on AJFA not as good later. The guitar tones when I first saw them were much better IMO. Almost sounded like marshalls to me, way less scooped. Not really a fan of the symphony and rock band stuff to me it just doesnt jive well though I like Classical music on its own. Metallica has always been a pretty tight band live but you cant always get a great sound in every venue.

V-man

Reaction score
My last live show was ‘94 with Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies with Metallica being last on my list then. The moment I heard “until it sleeps” debut on the radio in ‘96, we were done for good and for decades thereafter, they provided nothing but fodder for indignation and contempt. By this point, it’s all water under the bridge… you either have some acceptance/enjoyment for their contemporary stuff, or you parted company as early as the 1980s.

The closest thing I have to interest over them is the fact that the Pantera (revival) opens for them on this tour, but given the distance and the cost, it won’t be remotely worth considering, especially with the preference of leaving after Pantera plays.

aikiguy

Reaction score
I saw the Master of Puppets tour with Cliff still alive. They were opening for Ozzy. They (and Iron Maiden) were the most influential bands on my playing back then. I played a BC Rich Mockingbird through a Marshall Master Lead Combo.

The drummer in one of the bands I play in currently plays in a Metallica tribute as well.

I pretty much stopped listening after the Load album though...