Discussing Marshall's quality over the years

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by d3vCr0w, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

The power tube sockets on my dsls are fastened to the chassis, as well as soldered to the pcb..Idk about all amps, but mine are.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  2. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

I started in the 80's with MK IV SuperLeads, a 50w and a 100w.
    I took care them on the road as much as possible, but both still had transformer burnouts, grounding issues, etc.
    I now play DSL100H heads. Other than standard tube replacements none of them have given me any trouble...yet. Up until the virus shut everything down they were on the road most weeks.
    I also bought a dsl40c and have had no issues. I did replace the speaker with a celestion neo creamback to lessen the weight, but that wasn't a repair.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  3. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

And no one has mentioned Dudley, viva la Dudley Craven

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons for the poor build quality is mass production by a machine, not people. Those boards are put together by a machine that works like a sewing machine and will populate the circuit board in seconds. I used to watch them at APC (American Power Conversion) when I made a bunch of their test & assemble equipment. Pretty neat to watch, a camera under the board looks at the hole and makes spit second changes as the machine jam's the component in, it can do an amp board like a DSL in 10 sec. or less! It then goes down a track to a "wave solder" machine where it ties it all together. Sometimes each board is tested, sometimes they wait until it's in the box. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not, nobody cares. If you knew what a $800 DSL cost to make you would cringe, my guess without the cab and speaker.... maybe $20 - $40. Today they have it down pretty good and consistent so most stuff works ok. When I was messing around with them they would have huge tote's full of bad boards everywhere.

5. tonefinder

tonefinder Member

Should re-title this post:

"Marshall's quality through the very recent years"

6. jazzdj

jazzdj Member

I've alsways felt that all these were the best quality and most reliable Marshall's made over the years, never fail to produce what they are:

Fake Marshall stack.jpg Marshall 2 Fake Head Fronts and 2 Fake.jpg Black-Veil-Brides-fake-cabs-300x300.jpg Marshal Refrigerator.jpg

While I have a Marshall JCM 800 50W 2x12 Lead Series combo I love the sound it makes, like any Marshall .... it's not reliable.

I'll take ANY Vintage Fender amp - Head w/ 2x12 Cabinet or Combo over a Marshall, Orange or Vox ANY DAY!

My 1965 Bassman head, 1967 Bandmaster Reverb SF head and two Vintage 1964 2x12 Cabinets (and my 1961 Gretsch Country Gent.) They NEVER fail me and reliable day after day .....

Bassman Bandmaster Reverb 2x Cabs Gretsch CG.jpg

7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So elaborate a little, what goes wrong with the 50w 800? Is is always something different or the same shit over and over?

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

So how does the reissue Marshall 2555X's fit into this discussion as far as quality and durability for the long haul ? I have 2 half stacks that I use every time I play . The first half stack I got in July of 2015 and runs like a champ . The second half stack I got almost a year ago and runs like a champ .

9. Glynex

Glynex New Member

I got a 74' mk2 50 watter 4 hole one of the 1st pcb. unmolested original trannies that just roars. Cost i little bit but not plexi range. Any feelings on this discussion?

El Gringo likes this.
  10. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

My Marshall use began in 2015 with the 2555X and so far it's a homerun , and I don't see why it wont continue to be . I am not a technically say person so I couldn't really give an analysis of the guts to save my life . All I know is they work very well for me .