>

Disapponted with Marshall MG30GFX

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Justin Whitstine, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Jethro Rocker... you seem to really like the Kantana amp. Are there different model Kantanas?
    I have never tried one, but you are churning my interest.
    Roland/Boss guitar amp products I have tried in the past he all sounded horrible to me. Roland makes good keyboards and other digital stuff.
    Boss makes good peadls etc.

Can you dscribe some of the tones I could expect to get from a Katana or what you like about the amp?
    I would like to be open minded and maybe get into a Katana.

Thanks for your input.

2. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Which Katanamodel would you reccomend?
    Thanks

3. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Head or combo?

4. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

You wanted marshall tone out of a SS amp, sorry it's just not gonna happen. Looks like your ears are telling you it's time for a tube amp

GregM, Jethro Rocker and anitoli like this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had an 8100 and although the overdrive channel sounded really nice the 100w SS power section was impotent, but if that works for ya.............

6. Lespaul48

Lespaul48 Member

And you expected something else?

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Firstly, an AVT would be way better than MG IMO.
    The Katana is NOT a tube amp. I was after something small, light versatile that sounded good for jamming. I don't want to have to haul my 6101 30th anniversary up there all the time. Working on songs for maybe 2 hrs is a waste to me to haul a big 2x12 combo or worse yet, a head and 2x12. If they had a generic everyone can use it cab there, I would bring just a head.

I go for hot rodded 800 at minimum for distortion tones and up from there. An MG, which I considered, has clean n dirty, I see the new ones have presets. I use the Katana (I have the new 100 watt version but only cause it has 4 presets at once) like any other amp. Pick a mode, usually Crunch which gets quite heavy or Brown or Lead. Set the controls on panel like any othet amp.
    Then I use presets for anything different I might require mid song - clean, solo (louder) and saturated solo (louder).
    Simply use footswitch to switch feom panel layout to say Clean amd back. Then to Solo. Etc. Channels are presets. Panel reverts to amp settings on the panel. Ch1 is clean, 2 is solo, 4 is saturated solo, etc. 2 banks of those. Second bank is similar but acoustic, solo amd some effects solo modes.

[​IMG]

Effects are built in amd can be accessed via footswitch or programmed into a preset. Using a computer you can set nearly any parameter and also save your presets to reload if required.

You might think it sounds like ass, I dunno. It is not a tube amp, I don't expect it to be. The 50 cannot use the nice 6 button footswitch either.
    I can see of I have any live recordings from up there using it. Depemds on your style too. I am not after ACDC tones, I want heavier for the most part. Apparently a speaker change can help but haven't seen the need.

8. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

I really just wanted the new MG30GFX to sound as good as my little MG15DFX, just with presets. I would have been totally happy!

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will start researching those!

9. Jethro Rocker

Sounds like the 50 is way different!

10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Small non-tube options and cheap: Peavey Vypyr

11. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Yes, I know it is solid state. It looks like the 100 watt version is more versitile using the footswitch. Is the footswtch included when purchasing new? Do I get the same features getting into the 100 watt head?

Do you know how different the Artist version is from the rest of the Katanas?
    The Artist write up states that it has 10 amp selection vs the 100 or 50 watt Katanas having 5 amp selection.
    Sorry for all the questions, but of all the amps I have tried and used, this one I have not had a close look at.

I like heavier sounds, metal, hi gain etc. I guess I gravitate to a creamier tone vs a scratchy or shrill tone that most Fender hi gain channels produce.
    It is nice to have full tone, as dark sounding amps lack tone.

At this point, I am curious to see if the Katana produces tones I don't have with the amps I already have.
    Thanks fo your input.
    Any other comments are welcome as I contemplate, Katana or no Katana, and which one.

12. Jethro Rocker

The 100 watts should all be the same. Switch is extra here. May want to check with your dealer. I never looked at the Artsist, I don't need a whole bunch more settings. Each of the 5 amps also has an Alternative tone mode for a total of 10. Don't even uee half of them!

I don't find it overly harsh, I think the Artist has a different speaker?? An open back small combo won't have gut crunching lows to begin with.
    You have to try one. I can't make that decision dor anyone else!! I will look through some recordings to see if I have anything that might fit the bill.

13. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Same, got rid of the 30, and got the 15, was puzzled at the difference.

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

once upon a time, I tried out the MG30CFX & I thought, for what it was, it rocked...

Maybe it was the faux carbon fiber... :)...

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

IDK if the CFX is the same as the DFX?

I think they used some modeling in the chip, maybe...

Not sure what the difference would be to the FX or the GFX...

16. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I EXPECTED a $1000 amp with a 100W output to at least in the very least not get drowned out by a 50W amp on 3 while the 8100 is dimed...................I think this was a reasonable expectation, no?

PS, that was a $1000 1991 dollars not $239 2021 dollars.

17. L.A. Nights

L.A. Nights New Member

18. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Jethro, thanks for your input. I am going look into the Katanas and try one. I like the idea of the 100 watt head with the 5 in speaker.
    One of my main uses would be in line recording. The small spraker would serve as a good reference and then line in for recording.
    I have cabs here to use.

19. Jethro Rocker

Your mileage may vary!!! What it sounds like direct in I can't say...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.