Disapponted with Marshall MG30GFX

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Justin Whitstine, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

Just got a brand new MG30GFX combo 30 watt with 10" speaker, the overdrive sounds very digital and muffled. No presence or bite to it. I even tried hooking it to a real Celestion 12" speaker in my DSL40CR and that didn't help.

I have a little MG15DFX combo 15watt with 8" speaker and it absolutely destroys the new MG30GFX in tone. Sad how we seem to have went forward with technology and the nice foot pedal with presets but way backwards in tone.

I wish I knew how to add an effects loop to my MG15DFX, all I'm looking for is a way to change the delay/reverb while I play with a small combo amp. Does anyone know some older solid state combos that sound good with footswitchable delay or an effects loop?

fitz288 likes this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Return it and try a Boss Katana.

Iron1 and Justin Whitstine like this.
  3. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Or try the 50. That's pretty nice. I've got the 100, 50, and 30. The 30 is sort of a turd, like you say. 50 is not.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I agree, the MG15 is a little monster. I heard an MG30 and wasn't impressed, but my MG15MSII head plugged into my 1960A full of Greenbacks is way more fun than it has any right to be.

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For $239 bucks what did you expect? For $200 more you could be in 4100 territory, a REAL step up. JMO.

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

look into 1 watt tube amp's...

a lot of them have effects loops & for home playing, 1 watt is plenty...

7. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Got a MG10 some years ago & got what I paid for. A Orange Micro Terror now sits on top of the gutted cab. I don't know but have a sneaking suspicion Marshall may be doing a bit of R&D on SS to deliver something special??? After all everyone else's doing it or done it for years .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Mk II Valvestate VS65R. Cheap. FX loop. Takes pedals great.

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake New Member

Marshall Code 25, cheap, plenty loud (actually a bit too loud) and has tons of options and features.
    Ok, I admit it has a few crap sounds, but it is just so much fun, especially if you like messing around with settings, there are lots of them to get the sound you want.
    I've a Katana 50, Blackstar ID-Core 40 and a Fender LT25 but I always plug in the Code 25

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  10. fitz288

fitz288 Well, Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The Code25C is actually quite versatile if you take the time to set it up AND get the 4 button footswitch.
    With the 4 button, you can scroll between 30 of the 100 available presets, and turn on/off the effects in the preset (od/mod/delay/reverb).
    It also works better when used with the gateway app on a phone/tablet as a touch screen control panel.
    Most people hate these amps and are giving them away, so yeah, they are available cheap.

11. Jethro Rocker

And yet, I hated my Code. Cause I like to be able to change settings on the fly at times like any amp and return to them from another preset without saving first.
    As in, Katana. Run it like any other amp and use presets only for special things like clean or solos. This is for live rehearsal use, tho.
    I hated dicking with the code forever only to realize some patches needed to be louder when I got to practice.
    Boo urns.

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake New Member

You can easily edit patches on the fly with the Code as there is a physical control for all the normal amp functions. Also technically on the Code if you use the bluetooth connection you can have 200 patches. You can have the 100 on the amp and the 100 on the phone/tablet. You can then edit the patch on the tablet without affecting what is saved on the amp. Then you can switch instantly between the same patch on the tablet and the amp to see if you prefer your changes. If you do you can save it to the amp, your phone or both. I've never seen another amp that has this ability.

You are right, there is a LOT of dicking around with the Code, but once you get what you are after is just sounds more like a real amp than my Katana. However it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing, and to be honest you can get great sounds out of both.

13. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

I have one of those little guys sitting here! That amp is an absolute blast to play for what it is.

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

My grandson sold his MG 30, and mine has been on loan for 2 years now, but my gain channel didn’t work, I punched it with the Vox Tone Lab on the clean channel.
    Sorry no help here.
    But I can say that by going high on the volume, and using gain to set the level gave a better tone to me.
    Cheers

15. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

I've had 2 different MG amps, one sucked something fierce, the other was really nice - especially if you pushed it with a pedal or some such. The first one I think I pawned years and years ago, the 2nd I sold to Drinking Death a while back.

If you have access to the store where you got it, maybe go try another one - could be you just got a bunk model. If that doesn't cut it, go DSL or, as mentioned above, a Boss Katana.

16. Jethro Rocker

Firstly I just wanted an amp that was small and SS with some options, I don't need it to try and emulate XYZ amp.

Secondly, I know there are physical knobs. They aren't necessarily showing you exactly where the patch is, that is displayed on the LCD - NOT knob position. If I want to lower gain a bit on a patch at a band rehearsal ( I had the 50) and turn it down a touch, when I switch presets to get a solo sound and back again, gain will be where it was set previously. So NOW I have to overwrite the existing patch or save as a new one.

On the fly? At a band practice??? Renaming the preset with a rotary dial for letters???

Katana sounds very good, doesn't matter what amps, they don't list specific amps it is modeling and I can just use the Panel setting and run it like any other amp. Lower the gain, keep playing. Go to a preset for solo. Go back to panel and it is as the knobs show. All on footswitch. The CODE literally needs every single tone you want to use as a preset.
    Not convenient at all.
    As for phone apps, well, I am never gonna dig my phone out at a band practice and start farting around to get my amp set.
    Nope.
    I am trying to play guitar during all this.

17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake New Member

Jethro Rocker, I wasn't trying to suggest you were wrong, or that the Katana was bad.
    As the original thread is about an MG30GFX I thought a Code 25 would be a comparable alternative size, volume and price wise that has good sounds but with many more features. Katana and Code are 2 completely different design ideas. Katana has no modelling and although good sounding does not have as many options to shape your sound. Code is essentially PC amp models integrated with an amplifier. At the end of the day its what you want from the technology. I am used to using multiFX and in a live situation the code is no less convenient that using one of those.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  18. Jethro Rocker

Oh I realize that, just voicing my personal opinion and experience on the Code. I use a multi effects as well. Code aint anywhere near the same! All those issues I mentioned cannot be foot controlled with the Code. Code presets are lkke a snapshot in time. Change any parameter and it must be saved as a new preset or overwritten in order to return to that setting later. Avroyal pain in the butt to deal with while playing with a band.
    Katana can be run with the panel settings and returned there with a footswitch. I am not saying Code is bad, just not suitable for me. Had I known all that ahead of time, and I did read the manual up front, I likely would have passed on it. I also don't need a gazillion different voicings. Code may well work for the OP but I find the Katana a much easier product to use live. At home? Whatever works!

19. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

MG30 is a pedal platform - literally any OD pedal will lift the blanket off the sound.

20. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

I would say a Valvesate 40 , 65, 100, all great sounding amps. I have had several different MG amps. Some of them sound way different from each other, yet they are pretty
    much the same amps.
    I got an MG50DFX, sounds good, but the DFX effects are not that loud. I got an MG30DFX and the DFX effects are loud. Both amps still make pretty good tone.
    The 50 has an effects loop. I didn't know that until the other day, and I have had it for years. I liked what came out of the amp sound wise, so I never even looked.

The best of all those solid state creations Marshall made is the Valvestate 2000, or the AVT series. Get an AVT 50 combo or an AVT 20 combo.
    The AVT 50 has an effects loop.
    Going back in time you could seek out something from the lead series amps Marshall made.
    Lead 15, Lead 12, Lead 20. All good.
    Lead 20 is one of the most unique solid state amps Marshall made. A little crude in design, but wild sound.

Bottom line, even the same model Mashall amps side by side can sound completely different. Not sure why. Many different reason for this.
    Be careful with some of the ss stuff, as Marshall had production issues with circuit boards for a couple years.
    If you get a solid state Marshall, and it is making extra noise or crackling sounds while you are playing, you may have one with a faulty circuit board.
    Some guys figure how to fix, at that point I sell for what I can get and get another one. They will not get better on their own.

Good luck with your search!