Dimed Marshall, who's done it and for How Long?

richieG

Reaction score
did it for years. Keyboard player had the wall of sound from hell. Road cased b3 with moog and everyother thing.. 6 ampeg, heads maxed out.. bass player had 3 ampeg svt's with the matching cabs.

I used three 100wt marshalls 1 jmp, the other 2 were modded jcm800.. keep them dimed everytime we played out/practiced.. never popped a tranny, had no problems with them , other than having to retube them a little more often.. The volume jump was quite a bit from 1 to 4 or 5,, after that the amp didn't really get louder, It just got a lot punchier, fuller fatter tones, sustain for days. The leads sounds were great. Running 6 cabs with three marshalls full tilt boogie, is inspiring. We wrote some of our best stuff back in them days.

Edit: your bands timing becomes incredibly tight.. when you can feel every note,....you get out of time.. it really sticks out.

That's a good post, I agree with all that.

Do you find delay kinda sucks at high volume? Maybe not for a searing solo, but for general play and regular soloing.

richieG

Reaction score
I think it's something you should do on a regular nasis. I think it actually makes you a better player. You get less sloppy and errors stand out like dogs balls.

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine sounds to muddy dimed, I think 6-7 is the tone spot with the C5. None of my amps sound the best dimed, I do run my 2466 and TSL100 at 8 all the time. Lot of times for a hard on I will run four stacks at the same time, but even I can't stand that for to long. I have no neighbors.

Mine did sound muddy dimed, but after finding the right tube combination and keeping an eq on full time to cut some bass it's much better.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Well I tried it last night, pinned the SLX 2100, both preamps on 10 and 20, Vol on 10, it was wayyyyy too loud, I stood in the next room and everything was rattling, there was a lot more bass than at lower volumes! It didn't seem to be much louder than at 7. I then tried some delay and reverb in the loop (Tc G Major 2) and it was uncontrollable, I did a few dive bombs and horsie harmonic sounds..just screwing around, it seemed much louder with the effects in the loop.

I tried with my anniversary cabinet at 1st, then with my other cabinet combined, 70's and 75's both angled cabinets, it was real powerful feeling, like a kick in the chest...till stuff started to fall off the shelves!!

I can't imagine how loud a few stacks must be!!!

How do the pro's control an amp pinned like that? As soon as i stopped trying to play ALL sorts of noises were coming out of the speakers!

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
GDH...how did you control the amp???? I only tried one and it was outta control...jeez....3 heads and 6 cabinets!!!:headbanger::wow::wow:

Mine is in a 25 by 20 room.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Yes on 10 it becomes a little muddy, so when I crank it's usually to 7 to 8. I really like what my GBs sound like when adding their distortion to the Marshalls, nice...

Whenever I have the house to myself, I'll crank it...screw the neighbors nobody has complained yet! This is when it's nice to get out my SG with patented HBs...

bvoris

Reaction score
My 2203 is way to fucking loud at most with ear plugs and a pair of firing range ear covers I can get to about 8. No mush just really fucking loud. Avg is between 3 - 6.

I got my Mosfet Lead up to 10 about went deaf so it stays low.

My VS65R stays at about 3 -5 but when I play in the front/backyard its at 8-9.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
LOL that"s funny Bvoris, I did the same thing, put in my ear protection from the firing range, yellow inner ear buds and the Ear muffs on top, and still VERY loud and a crap load of hiss, my SLX is noisy!

gdh1532

Reaction score
The Keybord player ran a business (slice speaker service) reconing speakers and building pa cabs, and custom cabs for a bunch of different clients..The Room we practiced in was the main "A" room of the studio...the room abviously was treated, and had great acoustics.

We ran everything almost full tilt, or very close to it. (my shit was always on 10 .. wasn't muddy, just more punch,, when you plucked a string you could feel it.

It was around this time that I stopped using the top boxes.. Sounds kind of stupid but, I'd take all the cabinets, but only used the bottom B cabs. I didn't like the top boxes blasting my head off on stage.

As stated before ,, you practice with those amps cranked up, your timing becomes extremely tight. You hit wrong notes, or don't play in time with the band,, It really stands out

We practiced in recording studio that went broke. Cavern Sounds was the name of it.
I don't play nearly that loud now days. Any more if I can use my H&K combo , I take it,,

My Marshall cabs haven't been used in over a year (other than be plugging in to dust them off, and run jome juice through them.

Roadburn

Reaction score
7'ish on the MkIII for about 5 minutes (a few weeks after the checkup it got when I bought it).
That was the loudest setting the other bands in the other studio's next door could stand :dude:
That was 9 years ago though...

10 on the Class 5 for just a few moments... The elderly neighbours I have are just too nice to upset.

gdh1532

Reaction score
GDH...how did you control the amp???? I only tried one and it was outta control...jeez....3 heads and 6 cabinets!!!:headbanger::wow::wow:

Mine is in a 25 by 20 room.
Yikes. I would never dime my marshall in such a small area... you'll fry your hearing , and get tennitus

WE took over a defunct recording studio, it was cool cause it was in a cave.. The original studio I think was called Cavern Sounds. Big "A" room, very high ceilin plus the room was treated.. Gigs were usually big enough to get by.. Back then you had Rock clubs, and lounge clubs,, we stayed the hell out of the lounge clubs.. booked strictly larger venue clubs.

Just a month into the tour, I decided to not use the top boxes.. went with just the b cabs...... and as was stated before.. If you have a mud,, clean it a bit with EQ, or do like a lot of us guitar players did,, drop some EV SRO 12's in a a few of the boxes. They can really take the punch on the low end without breaking up, and getting muddy.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
If you have a mud,, clean it a bit with EQ, or do like a lot of us guitar players did,, drop some EV SRO 12's in a a few of the boxes. They can really take the punch on the low end without breaking up, and getting muddy.

i can never seem to get this point across....

EV's are the cat's ass.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I am actually running my 2203 with the master on 10 and about 8 on the preamp for work within my band. Here's the thing though, I use the Low input and I am on the guitar vol knob all the time. Rarely does it go to 10 on the guitar. I also have a sd1 plugged in the front end with the gain off, just to warm the amp up a little. I have played for a few mins on the high input with the same settings but It was un controllable. I also ALWAYS wear ear plugs. Can't play without em now.

Latest posts