Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge PUP and what Neck???

stilllifer

Reaction score
Hey all. I have no experience with PUP swaps, so I'm leaning on you all!
Looking to swap out the stock hummer in my '96 Epi MIK LP for the Super Distortion in the bridge and something else in the neck... from what I have been reading, lots of great rock and roll peeps have been using the SD with great success for a long time... Davey and H from Maiden have had some pretty decent success with them over the years!!! :dude:
Wondering who here is using them in their LP's and what you have paired it with in the neck PUP. I'm running my LP into my JCM900 SL-X into a custom 4x12 with V30's and Greenbacks. Pretty sure the Super Distortions are going to kick massive arse with this setup...
Don't need super clean neck PUP but I would still like to retain that vintagey tone... Dimarzio PAF's seem to retain that vintage vibe...

Any feedback here is much appreciated!!!

Cheers!

Geoff

Sly Fox

Reaction score
I had a Charvel 750XL previously which was similar to an LP in the mahogany body and string thru design. I had the Super Dist in the bridge and I thought it was great and I balanced it with an Evolution neck for a high gain metal guitar. The Evo neck was super warm and not muddy on my Charvel.

LuredMaul

Reaction score
a PAF used to be the norm not the PAF Pro.......

do you want creamy neck or middle of the road or acoustic like neck tones.
Is your guitar inherently bright or even or dark?

stilllifer

Reaction score

Lured. Yeah I'm looking for that creamy neck sound... my LP is even to a little on the darker side... most of my time is spent on the bridge PUP tho, hence the upgrade to Super Distortion.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score

That's what I had in my 69 Les Paul, a Super Distortion and a PAF. Covered a lot of ground.

I have heard that a popular pairing was the Super D with an Air Zone in the neck. The Air Zone is a fatter PAF sound.

Lured Maul helped me out a while back. He is very knowledgeable about pickups.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm putting an SD in the bridge of my EC-1000 and for the neck I'm going with the Dimarzio Paf Joe. Personally I don't like a bass heavy or mid heavy nasally neck pup. Check the EQ on it. To me I think it will be right in my set up. The stats are on the page.

DiMarzio PAF Joe | Sweetwater.com

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
JOE-I lost my original comment. The cyber space monster got it again. Anyway, the PAF JOE is one of the pickups that DiMarzio recommends to be used with the Super D. If you look at the medium powered DiMarzio's, the PAF JOE is about the same output power as the Air Norton, but it is the opposite of the Air Norton tone wise. The PAF JOE has a bright top end, but it has lower mids and lows. The Air Norton has lower highs and more mids and lows. The PAF JOE should be a real warm and clear pickup in the neck.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want (mostly) true PAF tone, go for this.

If you're a fan of single-coilesque neck tones like I am, get the DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell or the EJ Custom. Otherwise, I'm seconding the 36th Anni PAF.

That EQ curve on the 36th Ann. looks real good. I may have to consider it as well.:hmm:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
JOE-I lost my original comment. The cyber space monster got it again. Anyway, the PAF JOE is one of the pickups that DiMarzio recommends to be used with the Super D. If you look at the medium powered DiMarzio's, the PAF JOE is about the same output power as the Air Norton, but it is the opposite of the Air Norton tone wise. The PAF JOE has a bright top end, but it has lower mids and lows. The Air Norton has lower highs and more mids and lows. The PAF JOE should be a real warm and clear pickup in the neck.

Yeah I was calculating a certain tone that the Paf Joe looks designed for. I know I don't like a nasally or bass heavy neck tone. Warm and sexy with bite when I dig in. Looks like the Paf Joe is designed to get bite when needed yet be clear/articulate & warm enough to sex it up if you know what I mean...LOL

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I considered the PAF JOE for my Explorer, but I went with the Air Norton in the neck with the Air Zone. This is a "bread and butter" combination for classic rock and blues.

I think back to when I first got that Explorer. That 500T was not what I was looking for at all. I'm not a metal guy. The Explorer kills the 70's rock and early 80's stuff.

And it does look good on me BTW.:D:D:D

LuredMaul

Reaction score
The Paf Joe to me has some wierd midlow lob to it like too much 500Hz-800HZ.........which is fine in a bright guitar.

LuredMaul

Reaction score
The Air norton is like thick molasses ......... a "FRED" in the neck is between the PAF Pro and PAF Joe..........Don't discount it. do you like soft attack for the neck or immediate?

LuredMaul

Reaction score
where do you want your highs to sit in a neck pickup?

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like clear, round & articulate runs that can get a bit chewy. I guess pretty even curve...you know one frequency doesnt over run the others. i want tone and dynamics not mush. I don't like scooped or too much bite...topend...although that can be dialed back. I just tried an EMG 66 which is the match to the 57 I have now and it was way too bottom heavy with a nasally mid. Yuck! The 60 I have in there now has been the most even out of the actives...which I'm not crazy about for what I play. I do like the looks(EQ)of that 36th.

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I love thick molasses. It sounds real good in that unfinished flame maple top with mahogany bottom Explorer. It's thick, but not muddy.

:D:D:naughty::D:D

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm off to work but I'll check in in the morn. Sorry to over run OP's thread but I think both of us can be helped here.

Thanks LM. Very insightful and ill try to find better words to describe what I'm after.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I need to go over this shit with you guys more. See you tomorrow!