DiMarzio PAF Master Bridge Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Adrian R, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Thinking about trying these out in my white LP... currently has 498t and 57 Classic. Reviews are good, A4 magnet...strange..but maybe interesting.

Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

It never ends man... Ha! I just replaced a Suhr humbucker I bought a couple of years ago with a Seymour Duncan 1959. The Suhr replaced a Burstbucker 3 in my LP. At the moment I'm digging the 1959. I bought it because of the "original PAF" design and so far it's good. ...but it never ends man.... Good luck and I wouldn't mind hearing the Dimarzio.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I have the neck model and it's a good pickup. It's a little "cleaner" than the 36th Anniversary PAF stuff. Try it and see if you like it.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What is it you think you want to change about your tone with this pickup swap?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. Adrian R

My favorite pickups have always been PAF style voicing....hence why I have been using the 498t and DiMarzio Tone Zone pickups...my favs. But recently been liking the lower power pickups....for dynamics, voicing, clarity and warmth. Realizing you don't need high output with a more modern amp. Don't like ceramics either....luv the warm, natural sound of Alnico magnets. Incidently, imo, u can get good metal tones with these pickups...I have no problem bustin' out pinch harmonics all over the fret board with....plenty of drive and grind... especially with a pedal of some sort. Turn it off, back of the volume...and even in a hot channel get great cleans. Been a revelation of some sorts

Kinkless Tetrode and johnfv like this.
  6. Adrian R

Dude, I have DaMarzio PAFs in two guitars, they sound great and makes me wanna keep jamin'! Their articulate, yet smooth.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  7. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm totally with you, I realized long ago that I prefer lower output pickups. The PAF Master should be a good choice. I will also mention Lollar Imperials - the best humbucker I've ever played. It has all the vintage output benefits that you mention, in fact I suspect the PAF Master is DiMarzio's "answer" to Lollar (and others). Be aware that Lollars are pricey (and addictive), I have them in 3 guitars and just love them. Nothing at all against the DiMarzios which are outstanding bang for the buck.

8. Adrian R

Ewwww...those Lollars are pricey.. how do they compare?

9. pedecamp

A 498 is too hot and honky sounding for my likes so a change to anything vintage sounding will be an improvement in my opinion. I still like the 57C+ and 57C alot and the burstbucker 1 and 2 combination. Since you have the 57C in the neck have you thought about trying it in the bridge to experiment, I have one in my SG bridge with the intention of changing it out but have grown to really like it so its staying. Alnico 2 is my favorite.

10. Adrian R

In the bridge I didn't like the 57+...sounded too single coil to me...I do though like the A5 magnet...more metal sounding imo.... The PAF Master uses an A4...strange...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. pedecamp

57C+ or 57C you didnt like? I dont remember you ever having a 57C+. That SG you had was loaded with a pair of 57C I recall, just like my SG Standard. My SG faded has the 57C+ in the bridge which I like very much, nothing single coil about it what so ever.

wntbtw likes this.
  12. Adrian R

My white LP signature T came with them stock. It still has a 57 in the neck...but the 57+ I sold off...It has a 498t in there now which works fine, but after playing with the lower output PAFs I like those more...especially for their dynamic nature. The 498t is kind of a PAF voice...so it has that classic rock sound...but yeah, for cleans it's bad...

pedecamp likes this.
  13. pedecamp

Wow I love the 57C+

14. Adrian R

I meant the 498t was bad for cleans...lol I just like the A5 mags better...more ballsy...

15. pedecamp

I was just commenting on that you sold your 57C+, I think they are a great pickup, love the A2 magnet over the A5. :yesway:

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I like A4's in a neck humbucker. They can firm up a pickup that is a bit flubby in the neck, or if a pickup is boomy in the neck they help tame that too. They are supposed to be more neutral sounding than either A5 or A2. I haven't used A4 in the bridge PU. The BK Mule PAF type set uses A4.

wntbtw likes this.
  17. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

The Lollars are awesome, but certainly not twice as good as the DiMarzios. Once I played a friend's 335 with the Lollars, I had to have them. So my suggestion is, avoid them unless you are ready to pay the price :)

18. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The pafs are great you have to watch the gain on the amp. To much you get fluby . You get the tone of a single coil with a little more drive . Just enough to want more

19. Adrian R

I might try the PAF Pro.. it's hotter....but still reasonable.

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I agree with you @Adrian R, I also prefer PAF inspired pickups. I have no experience with the Dimarzio Master Bridge PU so I can't really comment on that.

I did put a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups in my Gibson LP Studio, but for some reason they sounded thin and weak in this particular guitar. I removed the 36th Anni. bridge pickup, (DP223), and I put it in the neck position, and it sounds sooooo much better in that position,... full, rich, clear, never muddy.

So now I need a new bridge pickup, after doing some research I decided to try a Dimarzio DP224 AT1. Its based on the technology of the 36th Anniversaries but a bit hotter and more focused. It compliments the 36th Anni. that's in the neck position, they sound great together, and the hotter bridge pickup sounds phenomenal!

The DP224 is crisp, and articulate with a deep tight low end. These two pickups have really made this Studio come alive!

[​IMG]