Difficult 1st gig for ORI20H(not amps fault)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

In another thread I said i'd post how the 20H(using borrowed 1936 cab)performed on it's 1st.gig.
    Unfortunately the gig was moved to OUTSIDE & the 20H really stuggled for volume & tone,sounded thin & weedy,but i'm not panicking (yet !) :D,i'll get it to band practice to get a more realistic idea of it.
    I ending up running my spare Amp(THR100H) with it & got a pretty decent sound then.
    For anyone interested in this,the Band(we used to call them groups,when I was young ;) ),is a 3 piece playing old fashioned rock & blues,but with a fairly surprising amount of energy for 2 old people,the drummers only young(about 52).:band:

2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

If you weren’t mic’d to a PA, I would say that 20 watts is not enough amp for an outdoor gig.

3. Graham G

Yes,in my own tin pot way,that's sort of what I was getting at,i did mic it,it was just a bit lost on the bandstand:)

Chris-in-LA and netlocal like this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I am not saying you are wrong for using that amp or that there is anything wrong with your amp, but whenever these discussions come up about big verses small i always side with big even if you don't need the power in most cases. There may be a time as in your instance that you find out a 50/100 watter would have been nice to have.

5. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

tce63 and netlocal like this.
  6. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

Almost need it pointed at your ears outdoors, especially if your in close quarters to a loud drummer.

I'm using an ORI50H and did a dive bar gig last Thursday with a very loud rock band. I used the 10 watt setting, 1936 cab with G12H30's, and set the rig up on an amp case to get the cab up closer to my ears. The 50w setting is more than I need for most applications. But I got the 50, because I used to have a 20w 2061x, and had the under-gunned issue on at least one occasion. Still, I'd like to try a ORI20H. It looks like a neat amp.

A lot of those 1936's have G12T-75's in them, or G12M-65's. Both are speakers with a sensitivity of 97db. The 75's are somewhat mid scooped as well, I believe.

Ifn' you get a chance, try some H30's. 100db sensitivity (they're noticeably louder speakers). Big old fat mid honk/kerrang sound too. Those speakers, and that bad boy up off the ground, and your rockn':hbang:.

7. Sabbathu

Sabbathu Active Member

I bought the DSL40CR a few months ago, and although it is a completely different amp than youfs, it took me 3 gigs and about 6 to 8 rehearsals before i got a live band tone I actually liked - now love!
    My point is, you will need a couple of more gigs and rehearsals before you find the sweet spot. But if the 20w wasn't enough and especially if it was windy, then a bigger amp might be the solution.

netlocal, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

And that’s why I typically go with 50 watters. You never know when you might need the extra power!?

9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Yeah you need 5 times the amp for that gig. 20w is perfect in a small to midsize room. Need 4 big bottles outside.

10. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

Get a Bugera 1960 for a quick cheap fix for the issue. Then send that 20 watter back for a 50.

netlocal, Lance Chambers and tce63 like this.
  11. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You also need the wattage if you need headroom on the clean channel.

netlocal and tce63 like this.
  12. Graham G

Thanks for all the replies(I think:D).
    I think i'd better defend myself a bit;),in the header in my original post I did say"not the Amps fault".
    I'd best explain what happened at the gig which made it obviously not the gig for a 20w head.
    It's a small pub we play at a lot,we play in a small confined space in the Bar area,but it also has quite a big outdoor "beer garden",we where supposed to be playing in the Bar area,so I thought perfect place to try out the ORI20H & my small 1x12"Mesa cab.
    But when we arrived a small coach party had settled into the beer garden,so the boss asked us to play outside.
    So we set up outside & I used the 1936(which is resident at the pub ?)with the 20H,obviously it struggled,so in between sets I set up my Yam THR100H(my spare amp)to use with the 20H,the Yam sounds shit on it's own,hence linking the 2,i used my guitar tuners parallel out to get the signal to both amps,a bit noisy & hummy,but it worked & using both actually sounded pretty good.
    I do have a Marshall JVM215C(which I don't really gel with,hence the "new"20H),which is really overkill for the normal playing area at the pub,but would obviously have been "better" outside,although I have to say we played a Marquee a couple of weeks ago & the JVM stuggled quite a bit there & didn't cope as well as the "dual set-up" on Saturday.
    So I learned(or relearned)a couple of things from Saturday always use the right tools & 2 amps are usually better than one:),IMHO.
    On the bright side I stumbled on what might be a good working combination with the YAM & 20H,they complemented each really well in a difficult location,i'm going to try to find my old crappy amp splitter & get them working without the ground loop noise.
    Once again thanks for the replies,some really good advice,to the extent that I've tried to explain the situation a bit.
    Finally(you'll be pleased to know:D)i'm really pleased that at my age i'm still like a kid with new toys(amps) & can't wait to play with them.
    Sorry about the book:).

eljay, netlocal, John BNY and 5 others like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Excellent story, and I too love running my origin 50H in a dual amp set up!
    Only now it’s 3, as I have purchased a second 50H to go with the first one, and the lead 100 mosfet,
    I set them up as 2 full stacks!
    Cheers Mitch

14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Your neighbors most love you lol!!!

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

And I’ll bet your happy as a clam! When I sell my house we’re going to relocate to another state into semi retirement. The wife already knows we’re building a large detached all purpose building for jamming , parties etc. I’m done with playing out and dealing with volume and band issues. Just have people over and jam.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

That I am brother, its just cool as hell to hear what you really have coming through the amps!
    Cheers Mitch

netlocal and tce63 like this.
  17. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

You, Sir, are an inspiration.:hbang:

tce63 likes this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

They do, I am not as obnoxious as you would think!
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 and MarshallDog like this.
  19. Ascension

Ascension Active Member

Is that not the little 20 watter that runs EL 34's? If so would think it would be ok.
    I picked up one of the little PRS MT 15's a few months ago and it is flat loud as heck!! Has a ton of clean headroom and with the big iron and 6L6's it runs keeps up with any 50 watt amp I have ever owned including the Carvin X50 B and Mesa DC 5 I now have. Would think the little Marshalls would do the same so?