Did I PARTIALLY FRY my amp ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jupiter89, Jan 12, 2015.

1. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

:ugh: Not long ago I purchased a 1 watt Marshall head (it has on/off - no standby). As usual even though no standby, I give the tubes a while to warm up before plugging in. For the very first time using the amp, I returned in 5 - 10 minutes after warm up, and plugged in the guitar, but there was no sound. Well never before this incident ever what I failed to do was insert the speaker cable fully into the amp's output. It has the normal, slight 60Hz hum but a low volume static sound sometimes, not always which is heard before playing and sometimes during low volume. I did also notice a crackling/static sound when playing low open E and A, but I think it may be my guitar cable. (shut amp off came back an hour later and it did not occur after unplugging and plugging back in)

It seems what I failed to do was akin to not connecting an amp to a load before turning it on. What does it do to the amp other than from what I read possibly fry the tranny ? Sound like this little amp is messed up now ?

2. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

It'll be fine. Just don't ever do that again.

3. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

Never again ! Can't even begin to tell you how careful and anal I am about my amps, so I was so pissed off at myself !

iron broadsword likes this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

which amp?

5. rich88uk

rich88uk Well-Known Member

I done a similar thing with my DSL15 head the day I got it. Thankfully no damage. It was only about 60 seconds before I realised. I would imagine a 1 watt head you would probably get away with it?

6. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

If you're new to cranked low wattage tube amps, you'll notice that until the speaker is really working there will be some static in the notes which is most noticeable at lowest volume settings. If you have any fret buzz it will amplify that right out too if the power section is working..

I chased that problem with my class 5 for way too frickin' long before I figured it out, and there is very little info around about it. You should find that it's less of a problem at higher volume levels, and if you don't then the power tube might be in need of replacing.

I found that the stock EL84 (a JJ) in my Class5 and all other JJ's I replaced it with were kinda making it stand out even worse, but I switched to a TAD and it really helped. Plus it just sounded better. :D

7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

An open load can
    toast the output tubes, fry the sockets, or melt the output transformer.
    It will leave a huge crater, sometimes. :nono::nono::nono:
    And that is why you need a good speaker cable, too.

8. stalefish

stalefish Well-Known Member

Does the amp work now?

Real talk, modern transformers aren't that fragile. No, don't ever run the amp with no load ever again, but you can slip up and catch it in time and *usually* be fine. Go to any guitar center and look at how many amps are on, trying to be played, with no cab connected. It happens constantly in retail stores. They don't have amps blowing up all over the place. Don't make a habit of it, but if your amp still works, you're probably okay. :yesway:

9. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

Thanks for the responses ! It felt like the speaker cable was plugged all the way in but it wasn't. The amp is a 1 watt head, Marshall CSJTM 145 made especially for the 50th anniversary of Andertons in the UK. Don't think they were offered here in the US. I had to buy a step up voltage converter for it to run the voltage at 220. By the way as far as speaker cables are concerned, why do all the amps regardless of manufacturer come with those lame speaker cables ? I toss them and buy the Live Wire 3 ft 16 gauge cables.

10. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

Why do you ever take the speaker cable out?

11. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

It was the very first time it was hooked up to the cabinet. It will stay hooked up now because it is in my daughter's former room. After she moved it became my man cave ! lol Unlikely it will be removed from there. Even if it did, hell will freeze over before I make that same mistake again I described in initial post.

12. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

ah ok....that sucks......:erk:

13. USAPatriot

USAPatriot New Member

I have no idea if this is at all pertinent, but I never have an amp powered on without the input jack filled, even if it's just a plug. -Rod-