Delays

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Sg-ocaster, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Whats the dealio with Delays and how YOU use them.
    Ive allways been a pretty straight player I use Wah and OD/Dist/Boosters often but thats my mainstays.
    But whats with delays?
    I have an analog delay(had a digital befor that with a tape echo sim) but really what the hell do you do with it?? I mean I set a faint 1.5 repeat trail and I can get a nice spacious comfortably numb thing, good for minor scale soloing.
    But what else is there??
    I mean......I seen the dotted eighth thing but really have no use for that. And the rockabilly slapback thing, cool for The Hollies Long Cool Women(which I only play at home)
    But what else??
    I think Im trying to justify a pedal I use 2x a night 3x tops.
    I see these delay station ordeals with presets and cant even fathom WTF you would ever do with all that.
    That said I have a Lexicon unit in my PA system and besides 1 delay 1 chorus and 1 or 2 verbs I barely use 10%(if that) of what it does.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    matttornado and IOSEPHVS like this.
  2. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I always have a small splash of reverb/delay on to give a little body to my guitar sound.

I use an EH Oceans 11 at times in the "shimmer" mode for some panoramic vibe to add some "movie sound track" feel.

Neptical likes this.
  4. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Delay is really just a form of reverb so with a full-featured reverb pedal you might not need a separate delay. Although, most reverb pedals are digital and you might want an analog delay. Personally, there are two effects pedals that I can live without - delay and solid state distortion. I do own an EHX Cathedral stereo reverb pedal that has an Echo setting (0~2000 mS Delay) that I sometimes (rarely) use in stereo ping pong mode, but I usually just use my stereo pan pedal for that effect (without the nasty repeats).

electro-harmonix-cathedral-stereo-reverb-pedal-205081.jpg

5. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Or

Great uses of delay

6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

7. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Very good review (as usual) here from Don Carr. One pedal I wouldn’t want to be without.

Edgar Frog likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

I have a TC Electronic Nova Repeater followed by a Fender Marine Layer Reverb. These two are always in my amps effects loop, never out front. How do I use them? Usually a little delay for solos to bring a little spacy atmosphere and the reverb always on to keep the sound from being too dry.

wakjob likes this.
  9. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Those things sound so good. If my Ibanez DE7 ever kicks the bucket that's what I'll be getting to replace it. :)

Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  10. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

If you don't get an 'oh wow,' feeling from the delay straight away, its probably not for you.

There's a few pedals I'll never use, like tremelo or phaser. Just not for me.

tce63 and Edgar Frog like this.
  11. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

I hear ya there man. I do like delay....BUT really only for minor scale "sad" soloing for a spacious trail. Its just it seems like such a limited window to warrant a pedal. Im pretty straight forward southern rockish dry player.
    I could find a place for any pedal.....its just Id have 20 each that gets used for one section of one song a night....why bother.
    Its like I use my wah on 25% of my leads and 1 or 2 rythms....so yea. I use a boost on 75% of my leads and 90% of the time to boost up when using single coils so I dont have to alter my amps gain setting.... so yea. But others effects I dunno.

tce63 likes this.
  12. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I only use delay as an echo. I don't want anything delayed and then playing at the same time I am playing something. Here are a couple of examples of how I use it:

The ping pong single repeats starting at 1:21 in Live for the Music

The repeating "in the bush" at the end of No More Tears

13. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Well, Slash uses his delay less than that. The intro to Jungle wouldn't be the same without it though.

So it depends on how important that part of the solo is to you.

Sounds like delay isn't going to be an integral part of your sound though, as it is for me.

If you've got your sound set up just right, bear in mind another pedal in the chain may throw it off, require more tweaking.

14. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

I always have a delay on just not way out front just enough to give me a little extra. I was actually thinking of getting another one and doing what Satriani does and has one set short and another set to a longer delay.
    I think they sound good if used correctly otherwise they just mash up your sound.

15. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

fitz288 likes this.