Delay Pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Rufuskyote, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Rufuskyote

Rufuskyote Member Silver Supporting Member

I was looking to add a decent delay pedal...leaning toward the sound of Analog instead of digital.

I don't need any looper functions or radically looong delay times...just something relatively versatile to cover the basics.

Looking in the $150 range, willing to go up to $200 if its worth it.

I liked the Sweetwater demo of the basic MXR Carbon Copy ($150)...the Deluxe version had a bit more capability (added a digital chip I think?) for $199.

Strymon stuff is nice but WAAAY overkill for what I'm thinking...

any rec's??

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Carbon Copy or EHX Deluxe Memory Man are good analog units.

Headache and jmp45 like this.
  3. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

TC Flashback 2 Mini

• Tiny legendary delay pedal returns with innovative pressure-sensitive footswitch and a fresh batch of TonePrints

• Secondary footswitch functions: MASH and Tap Tempo give you powerful real-time parameter control

• Next-generation delay algorithms give you ultra-realistic analog and tape delay tones with warble and flutter effects

• All new mesmerizing Crystal delay utilizes polyphonic octaver engine from SUB 'N' UP OCTAVER for otherworldly tones

• Craft your own delays and customize MASH functionality with free TonePrint Editor (PC, Mac*, iPhone*, Android* and iPad*)

• TonePrint-enabled to let you beam the new FLASHBACK 2 presets into your pedal with the free TonePrint App

• Extra-small enclosure easily fits on any pedal board

• Simple, easy-to-use controls let you focus on playing

• Works flawlessly with guitar and FX loop signals

• True bypass allows for optimum clarity and zero high-end loss when the pedal is off

• Analog-Dry-Through maintains integrity of analog dry signal path when the effect is on

• 3-Year Warranty Program*

• Designed and engineered in Denmark

4. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

If you go for the Carbon Copy, make sure it's more current. Original versions have issues, mine crapped out, MXR knows about it.

HOT TUBES 70 and anitoli like this.
  5. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

Guyatone digital delays are really good, like the TDX, it's got a dual-triode valve in it, a parallel blend control, a treble cut, and doesn't compress the signal. Just clip the diode pair next to the opamp, and maybe adjust the feedback trim-pot, replace the valve with a 12AU7 or similar for more headroom, and perhaps stack a volume pedal right before the input to keep from overloading the input when using dirt. Nails Floyd-tones. Mono operation.

Or if you want something more updated/ software programmable, Pigtronix has the Echolution Filter Pro 2. It is a true stereo (dual-channel) processor. You can further process your effect with modulation and what not, then store your settings for later recall. Pretty accurate repeats. Software updates might be a hassle. True stereo operation.

For analog, I find the DOD FX96 Tape Echo (the MN3005 version 2) to be the best analog echo out there, the Guyatone PS-006 (MN3005) a close second place. The one thing I don't particularly enjoy is the tone filter circuit (trim pot adjustable) on that unit, but running it 9V you get some excellent "tape warble" going, just don't expect clean repeats. The Arion SAD-1 is ok, but not if you stack pedals. Jump the DC jack resistor (or replace it with a link) to use your PSA type adapter @ 9V. If I can get one, a Maxon AD-900, methinks would be the cream of the crop, yet all that I find are the 4xMN3008 boards, so the wait continues. The Maxon AD-999 I have I got before they incorporated the compander in it, so the repeats are always "clippy".

Bottom line: if you want clean and accurate repeats, go digital. If its tape warble, or warm and echo-y repeats, then analog. Bear in mind, a MN3005 can run at 15V, which translates to more headroom, whereas MN3205 run at 9V, which equates to less headroom, and why they don't stack well with other pedals. Or you could go hybrid: digital through an analog stage for coloring. Depends on what you want.

Good luck!

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

A Boss Waza DM-2w may be something to look at.
    It's an all analogue reissue of the DM-2 from 1984.
    Standard mode gives 20-300ms of delay like the original DM-2.
    Custom mode has a warmer voicing and more than twice the delay time available.
    BOSS - DM-2W | Delay

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Justin Whitstine likes this.
  7. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Blown Member* Gold Supporting Member

:agreed: This...

8. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

I've just spent an hour or so with a BOSS Waza DM-2W. Lovely pedal. Well worth trying.

What is versatile for you, may not be versatile for me. My Vox Timemachine is more versatile(digital, very warm but still digital) but the DM-2W has a certain, unmistakable analogue characteristic which almost makes it a modulation pedal. Try it and see. The buffer in it is pretty good, but do consider if you need one/another buffer in your signal chain.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. assquatch20

assquatch20 Active Member

I've gigged a bit with the Carbon Copy and the Deluxe model. I have the Deluxe on my board now because it's a lot simpler than the Echosystem I have, and I wouldn't feel as bad if someone spilt beer on it. The tap tempo is handy live. The "bright" setting is also useful for a little more clarity. I maybe should've went digital but the warmth of analog is still nice. The bright setting is a good balance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  10. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Catalinbread Belle Epoch is a nice delay.

Rufuskyote, harleytech and jmp45 like this.
  11. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I use a TC Electronic Flashback X4. Not the newer "2" i think it's called. I use it because i can control it remotely using a simple MIDI switcher and an Expression Pedal. Keeps my cable run in my effects loop short. I just store it in a rack drawer near the amp.

12. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

That gets my vote. Cat Echorec is another.

mirrorman likes this.
  13. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I use this:

[​IMG]

The "Waza" ...Custom, mode gives you analog delay up to about 1 second. That's huge.

14. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member

A little below your price range, but an interesting choice is this one. Fully analog, made in Japan. I think I paid $80-90 new. I believe it goes up to 600ms, and it seems to add the tiniest bit of warmth to the tone, so if it's full transparency your looking for I'd rule it out. It's the Animals Pedal Relaxing Walrus Delay. Seems well built and a good choice for someone looking for something a bit off the beaten path. I like it a lot.

20201127_222037 (2).jpg

SkyMonkey likes this.
  15. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I was told quite some time ago about the carbon copy but I do think I might try something different someday.Maybe this :

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  16. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm sure that name makes perfect sense in the original Japanese!

17. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

Another vote for the TC flashback mini. I love mine.

Also any of the EHX memory man,boy,toy work very well.

18. Goodguy

Goodguy New Member

IMO, the Catlinbread Belle Epoch is by far the best for what you describe (the Deluxe model is even better).

Rufuskyote likes this.
  19. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The entire pedal market has really upped its game in the last ~10+ years or so. Sounds generalized, but I feel like everything is pretty good these days and its just a matter of preference. There are so many choices it will make your head spin.

I really like my BOSS DD-7, especially its Analog mode which emulates their DM-2. Yes, it's a digital pedal. Since you're leaning towards analog I'd also recommend the Carbon Copy. I go back and forth between each of them.

steveb63 likes this.
  20. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I use this ...
    If you look around , these can be found for around 150$ aprox .
    This pedal is hard to beat for that money imo .