Deftones and the legendary JMP-1!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Deftones fan here. I've tried to capture Stef's guitar tones (especially the ones from his early JMP-1 era's) for a bunch of times but since I have a JMP-1 and LTD SC-20 I thought it would be fun to try again. The signal chain is explained in the video but I tried to keep everything as basic as possible.

The basic chain is:
    -ESP LTD SC-20 Stephen Carpenter guitar (Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge)
    -Marshall JMP-1 Preamp
    -Marshall DSL 50 poweramp (into the fx return)
    -Fractal LB-2 Reactive load
    -OwnHammer IR's from the Legacy Studio Mix Collection (412 MAR V30-CH)

I really did my best to absolutely minimize any post-processing but some very subtle eq helped the guitars to sit better in the mix. Anyway, all the details are shown in the video.

The JMP-1 still is one of the best sounding amps in my amp collection and as of now I have about 28 tube amps. There is something magic about this amp. I think I need a spare one because I would cry if it ever stopped working! haha!

I'd love to know your thoughts! Check it out:

2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

The JMP does it all. It nails the classic Marshall tones and apparently even handles the brutal modern stuff. Great video.

Guitarjon and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

That sounds really good brother. Thanks for sharing your work on a great set of guitar tones.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. mrp

mrp Member

How come they can't quite get back there to 1992 with the current lineup...

Jim mentions in the manual that his "design team...have had a free hand in making this preamp sound quite simply the best", and rightfully so.

And they did this with one tube at a time, one half being a cathode follower.

Now imagine that, and with full tube gain stages.

I tend to think that it records much better than many full tube heads as well. Instantly
    sounds like a record through the cab sim out, FRFR speaker and any cheap mic. No way there isn't a certain secret ingredient in the signal path.

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

JMP-1 is not all tube...

6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Yes, this amp is very very good and very underrated! IMHO it's JUST as good as a Friedman or something. If they'd make new ones I would get one, right away!

7. JacksonCharvelAddict

I totally agree. If it was reissued I would buy one in an instant. I have wanted one ever since I heard it on Megadeth's Cryptic Writings. You can instantly tell that record has the JMP-1 on it.

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

:headbanger:

Guitarjon likes this.
  9. mrp

mrp Member

Hate to admit, but the 100 watt JVM on a bunch of latest Megadeth albums is just not quite there. As if it's striving to get there but fails every time. Something to do with the negative feedback probably. Could well be a poor recording technique, but it seems that the JVM410 just doesn't translate to recording equally as good as a JMP-1 or a JCM800.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

I agree. I think Mustaine agrees to as he doesn't use the JVM anymore. The Dystopia album was recorded with the HJS model and for leads he used the Randy Rhoads signature. That Randy amp sounds amazing. I still think the bet album tone Megadeth ever got was with the CAE3+ into the VHT power amps and the JCM800s on Peace Sells and So What sound killer too.

Guitarjon and mrp like this.
  11. mrp

mrp Member

And which particular albums were CAE3+ into VHT?

Offtop: shame Fryette dropped the GP3, it was easily on par with the JMP-1, minus the Presence control.

12. JacksonCharvelAddict

Countdown to Extinction, and Youthanasia were CAE3+ VHT. Some of the tracks on Hidden Treasures were recorded with it too. That is my favorite Megadeth Tone. I do really like the tone on Rude awakening too which was Rocktron Prophesy into Marshall 9200 poweramp.

mrp and Guitarjon like this.
  13. mrp

mrp Member

Wonder if the 3+ destroys CAE heads the way JMP-1 does with Marshall's.

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

i have heard the CAE heads are more versatile but that isn't always a good thing. The CAE pre-amps are amazing. They literally do everything I need. I would love to have a rack with a CAE 3+, ADA MP-1, JMP-1 and maybe a Tri-axis. I think that rack would do everything. Honestly with my Kemper I basically have that in a smaller package. I would still love to have the old hardware at home though.

15. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Active Member

Rust in Peace no question is the best recorded Megadeth sound. IMO of course.