Dating a 50 watt plexi head and 8x10 cab

nightbird

Reaction score
Hello. Last week I posted a thread on looking for a amp badge, assuming it was a 1969 50 wt plexi. Now I'm not sure.
The guts have a paper tag but no date, that i can tell. Both have serial #s. Here's pics of the head and the amp.

amp front2.jpg
amp back2.jpg

amp tag2.jpg

cab front.jpg

cab inside.jpg cab speaker.jpg cab serial.jpeg

Last edited:

Ned B

Reaction score
Beautifull early to mid '68 plexi 50W. This was before dates were listed on the tag. However, the same logo as a '69. I couldn't made out the speaker date code but the wood strip up against the baffle at the cab floor would indicate '68 manufacture. Let's see pics of the inside of the head. So far it looks very promising.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Cab is mid to late 68. You can date it by the strip of wood at the base of the baffle and the wider style of metal handles. Early 68 had slimmer handles.

FA might be the date code on the speakers - June 68. I should know, but don't when it comes to 7442's.

The grill cloth looks really clean (not faded), as if it's been kept under it's cover most the time. Does it still have a cover?

Looks like original castors poking out the bottom too. That thing is clean!

nightbird

Reaction score
Cab is mid to late 68. You can date it by the strip of wood at the base of the baffle and the wider style of metal handles. Early 68 had slimmer handles.

FA might be the date code on the speakers - June 68. I should know, but don't when it comes to 7442's.

The grill cloth looks really clean (not faded), as if it's been kept under it's cover most the time. Does it still have a cover?

Looks like original castors poking out the bottom too. That thing is clean!
Yes, still has the covers for both the cab and amp.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Looks great so far. The original Hunts capacitors visible suggest that maybe it's ALL original inside. I do note that the caps have label shrinkage, a little of it. That should be noted during checkout. They may have lots of years left in them. Or they may have already blown their vents inside the chassis. Whatever, they're original and thus they're 54 years old and owe nobody anything.

It may need some maintenance but it looks great from the photos.

Ned B

Reaction score
If the amp goes on the market the best concentration of potential buyers are likely right here and the online hassles of fees commission and possibly even shipping can be avoided.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need gut shots … look at the date codes of the coupling caps and the pots… that’s the closest you’ll probably get to a date … it is certainly before April - July of 69… when they switched to metal face plate.

Nice amp…and cab…

PelliX

Reaction score

Dating a 50 watt plexi head and 8x10 cab​

Yup, I'd date that pair. :io:

TAZIN

Reaction score
The electronics look nice. Someone added a bypass cap on both volume potentiometer and a cap or varistor at the input voltage turret board. Also the diodes for the rectifier have been replaced. The board layout & component types point to later 1968 as does the 'J8' pot code (September 1968).

neikeel

Reaction score
Looks like originally a PA amp. As mentioned caps on pots and a snubber cap on mains input.

nightbird

Reaction score
Are you saying this amp was converted from a PA to a 50 watt plexi?

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow !! This is very close to mine… I have many of the same components… only mine was built for export to Canada and has all the Canadian safety “Features” like fuse placement… stuff like that… and had the OT replaced (period correct part) ….and yours is very clean!!

Sweet spot is “6” … “8” starts to get flubby…

Yours is late 68 …early part of 69…

Mine has some caps that (I was told) date to 65…