Creamback G12M 65’s & G12t75’s ?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by crossy67, Nov 22, 2020.

1. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Hey guys I have a 4x12 JCM800 Cabinet with the original English 75’s in it and just cannot gel with it. I’ve had a couple of these cabs and am trying to like them but they just lack something imo! I have an opportunity to get hold of a pair of creamback g12m65’s for a good price and wondering if this would be an ok speaker to pair with the 75’s? I know it’ll give the cab more presence and punch but do these 2 speakers work well together? Anyone tried it? My first option before the Creamback’s became available was maybe to put a couple of V30’s in it, thoughts?

I play classic/hard rock....Cheers

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Creambacks would be good for classic/hard rock. I'm not a fan of mixing speakers not usually if ever. V30's I really dislike. You could stack the creambacks on one side and keep the remaining 2 75's disconnected for a 2x12 to see how you like them and eventually get another pair of creambacks to fill it out. Make sure you get proper ohms so you can do 2x12 now and eventually do a 4x12, not sure what that would be though I dont use 4x12's.

MarshallDog likes this.
  3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I have the DSL40C with a G12M-65 Creamback and a 1x12 closed back cab with a G12T-75. I personally think the compliment each other really well.

The Creamback provides the mids the T-75 lacks, but is not overly spiked like a V30. And the T-75 (especially being in a closed back cab on the floor) gives me the bottom end that the Creamback doesn’t have as much of.

I’m really happy with this setup. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. Report back and let us know.

Rod and crossy67 like this.
  4. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Active Member

My experience with running only 2 speakers in a 4x12 is that the bass sounds hollow. The disconnected speakers suck in whenever the active speakers push out and it makes the low-end sound weird. You won’t get an accurate idea of how the Creambacks sound if you run them that way, IMO.

crossy67 likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Take the 75s out and temporarily tack a board over the holes.

FleshOnGear likes this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, not the the G12-65, but the creamback 65. The 75s sound killer, as do the 65's of that era, with a 50w or 100w.. *but you have to move some air which is not conducive to most players these days. The vintage 65 has ported driver and the CB is covered. The creamback frequencies are a little higher in spec than its predecessor, and reported as warmer. *Guessing that they could sound better at lower volumes?

7. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

That’s what I was thinking would be the case, thanks for your comment.

KraftyBob likes this.
  8. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

I read tons of reviews and listened to clips and ordered and installed a Creamback 65 in my DSL 40CR... lots of people love this speaker I didn’t however. Not to say you won’t tho. I couldn’t try one without buying it. I play hard rock and mostly heavy metal. For hard and light rock it’s great, for heavy metal I thought it sucked, lacked real bite in my opinion. The store actually took it back with my receipt after I played it for 2 weeks trying to like it . I also have a 1960B cab I then ordered 2 V30’s for and installed those in an X pattern with the stock G12T75’s that came in it and that cab is a monster now. The G12T’s I found have tons of bottom end and the V30’s mixed with them and balanced that out with cutting mids it’s great. So now I had 2 spare G12T’s... I sold one for $50 and put the other in the DSL40CR and it’s the best match in that DSL I’ve tried it’s awesome. So the only way to really decide what you like is to try it yourself.

KraftyBob likes this.
  9. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Had the M65... I found them dark sounding for Plexi-style circuit.

10. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I've paired Greenbacks and T75's before and that was a great combination. I've never played a Creamback so I can't really speak to that one (no pun intended).

11. Rod

Rod Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Or, you could take 2 speakers out(the top ones) or one from the top left and one from the bottom right....and leave it as is.. no speakers in the 2 empty holes.
    it’s called an infinite baffle...Very interesting tones from this setup......

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    pedecamp likes this.