Crazy train

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Phony iommi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Man. Nice guitar track. Dig it.
    Legit tone.

2. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

It sounds so simple but not all easy. Not sure why people treat this song with such lack of respect . It is a classic metal riff !

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I think Randy nailed it.

not a fan of Ozzy at all, but I love that tune. Awesome tone

4. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I can play like that...but only IN MY DREAMS!

Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

Totally agree. When I see cover bands butchering this song, I wanna open a can-o-woop ass! Seriously, this is one of those songs, if you can't play the solo note for note, don't perform the song.

6. ibmorjamn

I wish I could play it , I have tried . I might try again in the future but I have more trouble with the descending chord/chug riff.

7. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

Song is not easy by any means.
    I learned it but I F up a few parts in the solo sometimes. The verse chords are hard for me, the riff is easy once you practice it a million times.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  8. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

love his playing/composing but always thought he could sound a lot better. Ive seen vids of him where he was playing live with his amp juiced and less distortion and it sounded so much better. Almost brown sound or AC/DC like.

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I have a hard time imagining the track with any other tone tbh. It's a big part of what makes it stand out of the crowd, so unique. Is it a tone I'd chase ? No. And I prefer his Diary of a Madman tones by a lot. But still, at this point I can't even imagine that album with any other guitar sound. I wish I had been old enough to experience what it was like to hear this in 1980...
    And his ability to double-track parts was breathtaking. So precise. Listen to these 16th notes on the verse riff, and all the small lead fills. Super hard to double that kind of things. And that accurately ?
    But hey, he's a HUGE influence for me, Mr Crowley on Tribute is one of the main reasons for me trying to become a full-time musician.
    And for the record, Crazy Train is probably one of his "easiest" tracks, to me his live rendition of Revelations (Mother Earth) is much harder to play, the way he relentlessly goes from incredible lick to incredible lick in the solo at the end of the track...very hard to pull off cleanly.

10. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

His studio tone caught flak with many for the thin buzziness. Maybe it’s a signature sound, maybe a blunder in the chaos (hell, their tuner wasn’t even working in DOAM).

The “Real” mark of his tone is on the tribute album- same fingers, same gear, vastly different results

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

The only song off of that first album that I ever attempted to butcher was I don’t know.
    Loved it , my buddy Delfin and I used to argue all the time about who was the one
    EVH - RR
    And I did see them on the Blizzard tour.
    Cheers

Headache and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  12. ibmorjamn

That’s why I have not totally learned it . I have to spend some time with it . Well that and the skill level might be more than I can do.

Headache and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Greg70

Greg70 Member

Definitely a track that's more difficult to play than the tab looks. Randy does a lot of those pulloffs from the first or second fret onto an open string. I've always had trouble getting enough "snap" on the string for it to ring when I'm that close to the nut. Despite that he was a huge influence on me when I was a budding guitarist in the mid 80s. My buddy had the tab book that covered both Rhoads/Ozzy albums and I learned most of it. Not that I could play any of it very well, but I learned a lot of licks from it. Years later I was in a band with a beginner bass player. He was one of those "play whatever low note the guitarist is playing" kind of guys. We attempted Crazy Train and he started following me up and down the neck and it sounded terrible! The bass line for that song is a thumping quarter note with an eight note run at the end of the riff, totatlly different from the guitar part.

14. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

been a long time ago but I had to learn the bass line to show my bass player lol. The galloping descending rhythm part during the solo is cool too.

15. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Bob Daisley is a genius, and one of the greats. I mean, Long Live Rock n' Roll, BoO DoaM BatM and NRftW, Victims of the Future and Wild Frontier...not too shabby ! Monster player, monster songwriter.

Headache, ibmorjamn, Greg70 and 2 others like this.
  16. ibmorjamn

Definitely a genius and all time favorite lyrics .

17. ibmorjamn

I just wonder , so many people don’t like Randy’s tone . It has to be the Altec speakers right ?

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Could very well be, but I am in the minority here as I liked his tone, especially live !!
    Cheers

ibmorjamn likes this.
  19. ibmorjamn

Me to Mitch but knowing we are the minority on that. I don’t want to start who vs who but we all know the most sought after tone ever was and is EVH and I think that may be reference for many people.
    I did read that he used a MXR distortion plus and their 10 band eq . It could also be eq’d with a lot of treble. I saw video where some guy nailed his tone.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:44 PM