Cranking An Amp + 70% Dissipation

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by iron broadsword, Jun 24, 2016.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

So I recently acquired a weber mass 200 and am now running my 4100 with the master full up and gain to taste.. now I realize I'll be going through tubes faster at this rate. I'm still on my first set of el34's so I don't know what to expect for longevity, but when I was running 6l6's at 65-70% I'd start to hear a set go south at around a 15months. The tubes I'm running are CP svetlanas.

Anyways, just posting this out of curiosity to see if any other crankers out there are biasing differently for running an amp that way.

2. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I run my 2203KK even hotter-

-GOLD LION KT88's 6+ years-

iron broadsword likes this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

What you can do is set 4100 for 40 watts (triode)...reduces the current and heat.
    What you can do is reduce the bias current to the point where it still sounds good, just as cool as possible.

Cranking up the amp sounds good...just like gas in a car, the tubes get you somewhere.
    Once in a while change the tubes...this is normal.

There is nothing wrong with cranking the amp to get a good tone. So, crank it.

If you want the tubes to last forever (cold bias), you are missing the good tone. It's always a compromise.

4. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah, 70% is where the goods are with this quad in this head. I actually don't like triode mode at all. It serves its purpose but it loses all the edge.. I'd rather do full power with the master on 1 than use that thing, haha.