Crank that Marshallboy

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Ebonyandpearl, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

Hey guys, I recently got a studio vintage 20. I live in a small apartment and it really limits how loud this can be (paper thin walls, you can hear people on the phone sometimes)
    I am using a -20db torpedo attenuator, and also a JHS little black box in the FX loop.

Using these 2 to control volume work, but with the normal on 6+ and high treble on 4+ it’s not all that satisfying. Sometimes I throw a big muff, boost, or overdrive in front that helps get me closer to the tone I want but I really like the sound best when it’s cranked all the way up.
    I have read people say that cranking an amp to 10 for low volume playing for prolonged periods with an Attenuator will mess it up. Is this true?

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

:welcome:

Ebonyandpearl likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Attenuators and other devices that allow you to play in an apartment with walls made of paper at least make it POSSIBLE but you are missing out on the experience of an amp cranked up and moving air. That's why some people get together with other musician friends and rent a space, maybe at the local rental storage facility, to use as a band practice room. Not so much for practicing for gigs, but as a place to jam and have some fun. You might want to look into that option. But be sure the place has GOOD security and at least the ability to double lock the door to your unit.

I'm very lucky in that I can crank up as loud as I want to at home and nobody will complain. This morning I did exactly that. With a 100 watt Superlead. Cranked all the way. Etymotic ear plugs in my ears. It was SO fun.

4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

You should’ve gotten the studio classic. You can get a cranked sound with those at tv volume without an attenuator. But, no amp is really satisfying to play at whisper volume.

5. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

Aside from it being less fun is there any problems for the life of the amp leaving it cranked all the way up with the attenuator all the time?
    I’m going to look into getting a studio lockout near by. I’m in Hollywood so there’s lots of options!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

No harm with a good attenuator, but your tubes are gonna wear out faster.

7. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

Awesome! Thank you all for the quick replies. I was going to sell this amp because I couldn’t come up with a good tone at low volume but with the gain dimed and a little dirt in the front it sounds great. I can live with it until I can find a good lockout near by I can make use of. Then I can finally get that speaker pushing some air

8. ricksdisconnected

sounds like a plan bro.
    you are gonna stick around and be a regular member here yes? :cool:

Ebonyandpearl likes this.
  9. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

Oh definitely! I’ve been creeping the forums for a while just reading but I’ll be coming to chat now and share. On Monday I have a new R8 coming and I think it will be a good time to take that and the plexi to a studio to get loud. I can update then

10. ricksdisconnected

good deal bro.

11. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

:cheers:

12. Matthews Guitars

I HIGHLY recommend that you buy a set of Etymotic High Fidelity earplugs. They're about 20 bucks from Sweetwater. Then, you can enjoy the full tone of a cranked amp without going stone deaf. They really work at reducing volume in your ears while letting everything sound the same as if you were not wearing ear protection, just quieter.

13. coughlinkelly

coughlinkelly Member

I know it's expensive but I'm having incredible fun with my SV20 and Boss Waza Tube Expander. I can crank my amp and get that juicy power tube distortion through my 2x12 and have it at any volume I want...it's just fantastic. I've tried other attenuators including Ox Box and the Waza has just blown my mind in how well it works with Marshall amps. LIke I said, expensive (same cost as amp if not more) but so worth it! I'm now using it with a 100watt handwired marshall plexi and I'm heaven!

14. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

Ok I’m sold! Attenuation is a must for the time being and this isn’t the first time I’ve read this. I have to try this thing

15. Ebonyandpearl

Ebonyandpearl New Member

I have some awesome ear pro but I’ll try these. I’m a Marine so I’m already half deaf

16. Matthews Guitars

Better to keep what's left of your hearing! We can't grow new ears yet!

17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

You might also consider the Bad Cat Unleash. It has the advantage of a foot switchable lead boost, and is also a re-amping device like the Waza, only without all the extra bells and whistles. I have the V1, like this one, works great with the SV20...

https://reverb.com/p/bad-cat-unleas...gwhFVAJPdqOBrHPNx7-BQSkKcUNmcSORoCPbYQAvD_BwE

Here's a V2...

https://reverb.com/p/bad-cat-unleas...H39DEP-WQ8cn7gWatBtk3q8QAAgyBibxoCOMYQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

TO THE FORUM OF LOUD
    We are almost neighbors
    Riverside area
    Cheers
    Mitch