Craigslist BS

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Maggot Brain, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Alright I want to ask your guy's opinions on some BS I'm dealing with from a Craigslist transaction.

Over a week ago I had an ad up to trade a guitar for a bicycle. I got an offer I liked but for about a week the dude flip flopped on wanting to do the trade. I told him twice to just forget about it but it would insist he was still interested in trading. He isn't knowledgeable about guitars and seemed to be hesitant as to whether it was a fair trade, I provided a page of "sold" listings for the exact same guitars in the same or worse condition which were selling more than what he valued his bicycle. I was actually getting the short end of the stick value wise but I didn't care, I liked the bike and it was worth the hit to me. We meet up and he inspects it like crazy, pointing out every little detail that the human eye could barely possibly and I'm thinking "dude isn't comfortable with the trade". I insist 3 separate times, clear and detailed that if he is not comfortable with the trade then I suggest he NOT do it. All 3 times he says he's good and he likes the guitar and wants to do the trade. I ask again "are you sure?" He says yes, we shake on it and exchange items.

Days later he replies worried about the value of the guitar, says he can't play it and it isn't working out for him... insinuating he wants the bike back. After we shook on it and parted ways my business with him was over. My conscious is clear both because I A: advised him NOT to do the trade and B: the guitar's value is more than that of the bicycle.

He is blowing my up, swearing at me that I ripped him off, he shouldn't of "trusted" me and now wants $200 cash from me.

Worst part is the dude lives about 15 minutes away from where I live... so annoying.

Part of me wants to just give it back and say "fk off" and get out of my life but ... fk that! We did the trade, we shook on it, deal is done and I KNOW in my heart and soul I did not decieve or rip the guy off.

Fk Craigslist and the weird people man

*edit*
    I forgot to mention he said he took it into Guitar Center and said "a bolt is messed up on the next and they need to do crazy set to fix it".... Which is complete BS. The guitar was nearly immaculate and was obviously a case queen. The guitar was like new with zero defects, issues or problems and this part is BS unless he fked with it.

I traded a '86 Charvel Model 1 +OHC for a 1996 Redline RL480 in fair to good condition.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Tell him you'll take the guitar back +$200 in exchange for the bike.

3. Maggot Brain

Yeah for real haha

I was about to sling some BS back at him but his BS is just that, he just regrets the deal and is trying to get out of it any way he can... life don't work like that.

We shook on the trade, thats the seal of the deal. It aint fking Walmart and you just change your mind a week later.

4. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Too bad, so sad
    Deal is done

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Block his number and email and forget about it. I hope you at least did the trade in a public place so he doesnt know where you live so he doesnt end up at your front door to harass you some more.

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I have a standing policy of never doing trades. All deals are buy/sell with cash. This was there's never any question of value given for value received.

And if someone acts just a LITTLE bit flaky, the deal is off. Period. I can find another of....ANYTHING...with a little work and patience.

C-Grin and Maggot Brain like this.
  7. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry for your experience - sounds horrible. And I agree with you - no chance that you ripped him off in any way.

8. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

:funny:

I had to clean my screen after reading that. Effing BRILLIANT!

9. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

Tell him I have a Specialized Hardrock bicycle with disc brakes I would trade him straight across for the Charvel Model 1. I'm in Kansas City area..! :dude:

10. Maggot Brain

Right? I find it beyond immature to throw a fit a week later after any done deal. To harass, swear and insult me directly be it email, phone or text is just classless and petty.

Yes, I would never do a deal at my own residence for this exact reason, people are crazy and tbh I'm pretty sick of people.

Good point and very true.
    I've never had a problem trading and always preferred it but at this point I'm pretty burnt out on the weirdos on CL and the world just in general. I am frustrated with myself only because my gut told me this guy would be a a pain in the ass from the first time he backed out of his offer. I got fed up with him and just told him to forget about it and take care. He quickly replied insisting he wanted to do the deal after researching the guitar. I should have just gone with my gut and ignored him from that point on.

Thanks, people are annoying and rude but my conscious is clear. I gave the guy every opportunity to back out and gave him every bit of information I could about the guitar and it's value. I told him not to do it if he wasn't 100% comfortable multiple times so I was caught off guard he had the nerve to come at me like he is.

11. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

This /\ /\ /\ deal is done.

12. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Guy sounds like a dick. Your conscious should be clear.

13. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

I don't have time for clowns like that. You're good.

F that guy.

14. Maggot Brain

I appreciate all you guy's input!

The irony is he got the better deal but the dude came off a little eccentric to be polite... I don't know what his motive was for the trade. I'm starting to think he was solely trying to "trade up" as he offered me to buy back the guitar at the price of what he valued the bike or else he was going to ask top doller for it. He then listed the guitar on CL about a day or 2 later. He only blew up when he said he took it to Guitar Center and "they told him it wasn't worth what I told him" which I'm sure he took it there to sell and they low balled him. He also claimed "a bolt on the neck is messed up and requires a bunch of crazy work" which I have no clue wtf he is talking about. I went thru that guitar top to bottom. He claimed they said it was only worth what I said "to the right person"... which is obvious for anything.

Oh well not my problem, sucks for him. Since he insulted me and swore at me I am tempted to troll with him but the adult in me will prevail.

15. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Fuck Him, tough fuckin shit. You went way above in this trade. I see your in Seattle... I don't expect anything better!

16. Maggot Brain

Seriously!

I lived in Mexico and Arizona and I swear coming back to western WA makes me sick. People up here are so arrogant and out of touch I swear.

Also funny part, I found his profile on a BMX forum and he stated he got the bicycle for pretty much "free" so fck this guy to hell.

17. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Total jackwagon. Every single time I've traded service for service of like $value (allegedly) I've gotten fucked, so I would never do one for gear. Now that it's done, you're going to have to make it clear to him that if he doesn't piss off, something terrible is going to happen.

18. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Tell him that you took the bike to a bike shop and they said the bolt on the goose neck is all messed up and will take all kinds of crazy work to fix it.

19. Maggot Brain

Dude haha! I had this exact idea!

I've been so tempted to throw his logic right back at him. *the bike shop said it wasn't worth what you claimed, they said maybe to the right person... you owe me $200 now* etc etc

Shit both tires went flat the day after I got it, dry rotted tubes, I had to spend $8 on new tubes! Dammit!

Oh and ironically during the meet he advised me not to take it to bike shops as "bike shops just fk up BMX bikes"

20. Maggot Brain

Just for shits n giggles here are the SOLD listings on Reverb : https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Charvel model 1&show_only_sold=true

I advised him to reference the link above and explained to him how to view sold listings on Reverb for his own future reference as he was uneducated on guitars. The guitars are selling consistently for $600 + and some are fetching up to $1,000 here and there for the exact model, color and condition as the one I traded.

So this dude just makes no sense.

*edit*
    Also the Bicycle Bluebook values the bike at $128 at the top of the scale, I believe that is probably fairly low to actual prices. I haven't found the exact same year and model for sale but similar year and models are LISTED around $300. This dude made out like a bandit if he was smart and patient but he's obviously a complete fking moron.