Craigslist... Beatin' The Odds

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Moose Lewis, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

How many times have you heard it's useless to advertise for band/members on CL? Ever had any luck? Until now, I never did - but when I go hunting for band members I'll do anything from posting flyers to auditioning for other bands to find the right people.

This time we struck gold and found a kindred spirit with a great attitude and the chops to keep us tight without relying upon our studio sampled drums (or me having to play them). We are finally a solid 3 for live performances with our new found drummer (who plays a bangin' tight vintage solid maple Ludwig kit), and prepping for a blitz next Spring. Woo-hooo!

[​IMG]

I love it when a plan comes together. Got any GOOD CL stories? :D
    :cheers: Cheers!
    http://www.thegarm.com/mjk/Your Eyes.mp3

Far Rider, Bflat5, BlackSG91 and 5 others like this.
  2. 4STICKS

4STICKS Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhkOiWGSfM]Molly Hatchet - Beatin' the Odds - YouTube[/ame]

:hbang::hbang:

Moose Lewis likes this.
  3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Hey Moose - that's a really great guitar tone. What are you using that gets you that boxy sound? Sounds like an old PAF Les Paul through a small combo, not dissimilar to some of Bad Company's stuff, but yours is more pronounced. Also I really dig your playing style - kind of a mid-late '70s blues/rock vibe.

Opinions are like assholes and everyone's got one, so here's mine:
    Excellent song, but there's a lot of empty space. Seems like it could use some counter-rhythms in the background, like strings to create build-ups between sections. You could use clean guitar parts to or whatever, even a [slight] amount of tambourine (I know, I know, but if used subtly it can be very effective). Just fill in the empty space with a counter rhythm.

4. Moose Lewis

Thanks for the opinion and suggestions. All likely good advice. That's a down'n'dirty demo. We track 'em first to work from for personal practice while the arrangement develops further - but I am going for a 3 pc format that can be reproduced live, and do like open-ness in arrangements. Until around the mid-80s, I had a tendency to over-arrange and over-play everything. Now I'm more relaxed. ;)

That was a Jr. with P90's run straight through an Egnater Tweaker 15 (with 6P3S power tubes) into a 4x12 cab with Greenbacks; mic'd with a Sennheiser MD 409 into a Presonus ADL 600 preamp. Was going for a loose sound kinda like Free - Alright Now guitar (even tho that was done on an LP with humbuckers). And yeah - that was the era I was rockin' hard 7 days a week. Oiy!

Glad it evoked a response. Always... thanks, Vin. Oh - and I still love tambourines and cowbells. :D
    See what you think of this one: http://www.thegarm.com/mjk/Zone Trooper.mp3
    (Yet another Peter Gunn borrow... def demo)

5. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

my last band was built from craigslist.

we had a good run. about 3 yrs or so I think...and I still hang with the drummer and guitar player. actually, theyre probably the best buds ive made in yrs...

I think that may have been my one craigslist credit though, aside from them, its been all zeros as far as anything coming to fruition.

Moose Lewis and MartyStrat54 like this.
  6. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

In Phoenix everyone used the New Times newspaper. It was like a local Rolling Stones magazine. It has a huge circulation. We advertised several times for drummers and bass players. I'm glad to say we did find a bass player and drummer that came from another project and I played with them for seven years.

Sometimes you get lucky Moose.

Moose Lewis likes this.
  7. Moose Lewis

Isn't that what we're all counting on, Marty? ;) :D :cool:

BTW: Life is good with a live drummer. Just finished rehearsals for a party on the mountain this weekend. Floatin'.

8. gjohnson

gjohnson Well-Known Member

I'd have better luck finding musicians at Taco Bell than on CL here,total joke/waste of time!

9. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Really? In the Denver metro area?

scat7s likes this.
  10. Bflat5

Bflat5 Well-Known Member

So far nothing positive for me. A couple really cool guys that I had no musical interest in and vice versa... The rest have been like shopping at Dipshits-R-Us.

11. gjohnson

gjohnson Well-Known Member

Yep. Best way to find quality musicians is to go to a club to check out who can actually play and steal them away from the band they're in!Been doing that for many many years