Cork gaskets

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by easy, Jan 23, 2021.

1. easy

easy Member

I recently stripped an old Selmer combo which had at some point had the drivers replaced by mid 70s blackbacks. There were no problems with them at all, but upon removal I found that the cork gasket on one of them was completely absent, presumably ripped off when a previous owner ripped them from the donor cab.
    Anyone know if replacements are available?
    Thanks

2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Wow... So your cone relies on the glue on the basket, not a good thing. What kind of dummy puts a speaker like that in a cab. Anyways...

They can be bought from any speaker repair shop, just look for 12" cork replacement gaskets. I don't think there are really different sizes to consider. Or buy a blown speaker for next to nothing, and swap the gaskets. I would say new is the best, because the seal is best the first time it is used. Some people have screwed in their speakers so hard that the gasket is at the same level of the ring of the basket, and then of course it's not really doing it's job as a seal anymore.

easy likes this.
  3. easy

easy Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I may be mistaken... I had assumed the cork gasket was missing, but there does seem to be some kind of hardened black foam gasket which has possibly become so compressed that it is now flush with the basket. Either way, I'll check out some speaker repair places as you suggested and try to get hold of something to stick over it.
    [​IMG]

4. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

That black foam gasket is original. I've had blackbacks with that type of gasket in the past.

easy likes this.