Cool way to organize and store tubes

rolijen

Reaction score
BA82E29D-DBCF-48A2-B78B-5BD75A8EC744.jpeg I have kept my stash of tubes/valves in a few odd cardboard boxes. Each time I go digging, in have to rummage a bit to find what I’m looking for. I asked my wife for a recommendation and she suggested craft boxes. So, off we went to Hobby Lobby. I came home with two ridiculously perfect solutions—one for power tubes, another for preamp tubes.

Now I can see exactly where every tube is and keep the stash stocked. (I may need to purchase another box for my vintage NOS tubes…)

Hope this provides some inspiration on a cold December day.

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 98958 I have kept my stash of tubes/valves in a few odd cardboard boxes. Each time I go digging, in have to rummage a bit to find what I’m looking for. I asked my wife for a recommendation and she suggested craft boxes. So, off we went to Hobby Lobby. I came home with two ridiculously perfect solutions—one for power tubes, another for preamp tubes.

Now I can see exactly where every tube is and keep the stash stocked. (I may or may not have purchased another box for my vintage NOS tubes…)

I like it.

Old Punker

Reaction score
You are lucky that you asked your
wife where to put your stuff.

If you'd asked Cpt. Koons where to
put it he would have told you a heartbreaking
story about a golden watch.:p

View attachment 98959

I remember that scene. I definitely wouldn't touch that watch, at least not without surgical gloves on! :wow:

Old Punker

Reaction score
View attachment 98958 I have kept my stash of tubes/valves in a few odd cardboard boxes. Each time I go digging, in have to rummage a bit to find what I’m looking for. I asked my wife for a recommendation and she suggested craft boxes. So, off we went to Hobby Lobby. I came home with two ridiculously perfect solutions—one for power tubes, another for preamp tubes.

Now I can see exactly where every tube is and keep the stash stocked. (I may or may not have purchased another box for my vintage NOS tubes…)

Good idea, and my wife spends a lot of time (and money) in hobby stores.

So far I've just been piling tubes on top of each other in their little boxes on a shelf. A few days ago when I went to get one a couple of them slipped off and fell off the shelf. Luckily those little cardboard boxes actually protect them.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Meanwhile NewAge Aquarius 2000++ kids have
all their virtual tubes stored on their
non-heat leaking, blue LED flashing apple
devices...FCK em'! :p

Yeah, I feel like one of these guys nowadays

07xp-oz-dinosaur-02-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

rolijen

Reaction score
Ended up getting two more of the power tube sized boxes. Now I have EL34s in one, 6L6s in another, and 6V6s and rectifiers in the third one. Being clear, no labels are needed. Should have done this years ago. Oh, and while cleaning out the tattered old cardboard boxes I had been using for years, I found a few forgotten gems including a set of RCA Blackplate 6L6s. Will have to break out the tester tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

EADGBE

Reaction score
Which do you like best? The Tung-Sol EL34b or the Electro-Harmonix EL34?

rolijen

Reaction score
Which do you like best? The Tung-Sol EL34b or the Electro-Harmonix EL34?
I like The EHs a little better but they are pretty close. I had a set of new production Mullards in my SV20 that were smooth and gorgeous. In fact, the Mullards and EHs might be made on the same production line. They look and sound very similar. So, for me it’s Mullard, EH, then Tung Sol.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have an entire steel utility cabinet dedicated to tubes. It's ALMOST full. I store them in industrial plastic bins of the types used
in electronics manufacturing facilities. I need to get off my duff and complete the sorting and organizing of them and the labelling of the bins. And, of course, run every tube through the tube tester. But will I bother to put each used tube in a white box with test results? I should....but that's a lot of work.