Convinced: Marshall builds 1960s with whatever is available.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned quite a few 1960a cabs over the years. Currently I own 3. Two are 1960 standard cabs, and one is the 1960 Vintage cab.

I always thought that aside from the Marshall branded V30 speakers in the Vintage cabs, they also were made completely with birch plywood.

The Silver Jube 4x12 (V30 speakers) I had and sold had a birch back panel.

The current Vintage cab I have has a MDF back panel. WTF?

A 1960a cab I purchased used several years ago made in 2010...G12t75s has a birch back panel.

My other 1960a cab from 2005 came with an MDF back panel. Several years ago I made a Baltic birch panel for that cabinet. I still have the MDF back panel under my stairs in storage.

SOOO..it appears that when Marshall does production runs they build the back panels with whatever is available. Personally, I think it's lame, totally. The MDF panels DO NOT sound as good... no where near as warm and punchy.

This Vintage cab is on the selling block. I don't feel like going through the hassle of making another back panel.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I've owned quite a few 1960a cabs over the years. Currently I own 3. Two are 1960 standard cabs, and one is the 1960 Vintage cab.

I always thought that aside from the Marshall branded V30 speakers in the Vintage cabs, they also were made completely with birch plywood.

A 1960a cab I purchased used several years ago made in 2010...G12t75s has a birch back panel.

My other 1960a cab from 2005 came with an MDF back panel. Several years ago I made a Baltic birch panel for that cabinet. I still have the MDF back panel under my stairs in storage.

SOOO..it appears that when Marshall does production runs they build the back panels with whatever is available. Personally, I think it's lame, totally. The MDF panels DO NOT sound as good... no where near as warm and punchy.

This Vintage cab is on the selling block. I don't feel like going through the hassle of making another back panel.
I don't blame you for being bummed (to be polite) or for selling it.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Back panels are stupid easy to make. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back panels are stupid easy to make. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.
I have actually made four! lol. Two of which were replacing the back panels on my Microstack cabs... Unfortunately, man, the cost of Baltic birch now has GOT to be insane. Have you priced plywood lately?? lmao...insane....

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Marshall went to the MDF back panel in about 1971. It wasn't until about 2010 than they went back to ply wood, probably for marketing reasons. All those 70's JMP and 80's JCM800 cabs were MDF back panels.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

what does a birch back panel cost to put on? where does one get a slab of birch that big?
i would think with the wood crunch we are having its gonna be a bit more than the last one you did?

Seanxk

Reaction score
Marshall went to the MDF back panel in about 1971. It wasn't until about 2010 than they went back to ply wood, probably for marketing reasons. All those 70's JMP and 80's JCM800 cabs were MDF back panels.

Lets not start this all over, insert Chipboard or ''Particle board'' as you guys call it where you put MDF and all should read correct, dates are pretty much correct.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Currently, the price of Baltic birch plywood is LOWER than the price of the low grade CDX exterior grade plywood! In fact the Birch ply is the CHEAPEST plywood I can get at this time!

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Lets not start this all over, insert Chipboard or ''Particle board'' as you guys call it where you put MDF and all should read correct, dates are pretty much correct.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what type of manufactured wood I should use. I finally decided that since the OP used the term MDF I'd use that. Thanks for the correction.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
All the 1960 cabs I’ve owned have had chipboard backs , thought this was the norm .

Seanxk

Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't sure what type of manufactured wood I should use. I finally decided that since the OP used the term MDF I'd use that. Thanks for the correction.

I think the OP is talking about modern ish cabs and these I believe could possibly be made from anything that was in stock, MDF, Chipboard or Ply.

Here's a VM cab. IMG_3518 (1).jpg

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently, the price of Baltic birch plywood is LOWER than the price of the low grade CDX exterior grade plywood! In fact the Birch ply is the CHEAPEST plywood I can get at this time!

Just checked it out and you're right. $70 for a 60x60 sheet of 5/8" Baltic Birch... All you need is a quarter sheet...which is about $25.00 plus tax. I'm doing it! I made actually four back panels..two for 1960s, and two 10" microstack cabinets. Much better sound imo...

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does a birch back panel cost to put on? where does one get a slab of birch that big?
i would think with the wood crunch we are having its gonna be a bit more than the last one you did?

What you want is *Baltic Birch* 5/8" thick plywood. It's 11 ply, and voidless. I get from a local lumber company called Owl Lumber. They can cut you a piece 30"x30" (quarter sheet). Cost is about $30. IMO a back panel constructed of this material is superior to MDF. The tone to me is tight and very warm..

baltic.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
What you want is *Baltic Birch* 5/8" thick plywood. It's 11 ply, and voidless. I get from a local lumber company called Owl Lumber. They can cut you a piece 30"x30" (quarter sheet). Cost is about $30. IMO a back panel constructed of this material is superior to MDF. The tone to me is tight and very warm..

View attachment 90850

always kinda wondered about this. thank you.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score

View attachment 90850
I realise you can make a ply back panel but all the 80’s & 90’s 1960 cabs I’ve owned have had chipboard backs . My current 4x12 ( Blackstar series one ) is void less birch .

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
European made plywood is usually actually spec'ed in millimeters. 13, 15, or 17 instead of 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". I assume this holds true for 1/4" and 3/8" thicknesses as well. But I've never looked for any of that.

This may sound like a sin but I threw out the MDF back on my 1960B cabinet after I made a 13mm birch replacement. But the MDF had been soaked on the bottom edge about two inches up and it was trashed as a result.

Side by side, the birch backed cabinet sounded better than my other MDF backed 1960B.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
European made plywood is usually actually spec'ed in millimeters. 13, 15, or 17 instead of 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". I assume this holds true for 1/4" and 3/8" thicknesses as well. But I've never looked for any of that.

This may sound like a sin but I threw out the MDF back on my 1960B cabinet after I made a 13mm birch replacement. But the MDF had been soaked on the bottom edge about two inches up and it was trashed as a result.

Side by side, the birch backed cabinet sounded better than my other MDF backed 1960B.

10-4 man... My 2005 1960a I bought new was always funky sounding. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great. I finally tore it apart and noticed how crappy the construction was with respect to the center brace. Apparently made on a Monday, went ahead secured the center brace more adequately along with it's mount to the front baffle... then with the help of a friend, constructed a new Baltic birch back and wow what a difference. I still have that cab and love it. In 2017 I bought a mint conditioned 2010 1960a from a music store...sounded great in the store...brought it home and to my surprise not only was the quality of the build decent, but it had a birch back panel. Now it's my favorite cab. Pulled out the 75s and replaced with both V30s and G12K 100s...now it sounds kick ass!

Latest posts