>

Converting Younger Players

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by trax1139, Aug 21, 2020.

1. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

4796C7EA-828E-4791-88D9-9453909F9E1D.jpeg 6AAF83FA-D2F0-4496-8B91-7862B57188F8.jpeg 422234CD-43CD-4272-8D3A-72FD0F5AB5CC.jpeg A468778F-9F05-4BED-A696-7560882F415D.jpeg 450E65C6-C9D7-4FCE-A95D-E71E318802FC.jpeg 0B5F8A0D-44F6-4AB0-ABD3-CC0ED0B9E227.jpeg I haven’t had so much fun with my music hobby in years! Believe me. I’ve been doing this for a long time. Since 1959 to be exact. As a roadie, light show tech, performer (guitarist/singer) and sound co. owner/tech.
    At 66 years old, I recently got a call from one of my music buds who asked if I wanted to get a Hard Blues group together. Well, hell yeah! He said we don’t need a guitar player though. Ya wanna do bass? OK, I’ll have to gear up. So, $4000.00 later I’ve got an American Custom P Bass and Fender 300 watt Super Bassman head with the 6x10 cabinet.
    1st get together I meet the young (to me) guitarist. 29 years old. Excellent player-a lot of feel and heart in his style- knows where he’s going and how to get there. Likes all the 60’s and 70’s style classic rock. An old soul indeed! I’m thinking BINGO this could be pretty good.
    His gear was like many (most) modern players. He shows up with a Fender Tweed Blues Jr. 10” speaker (or something). Nothing wrong with that...nice amp...sounds great. Fender American Strat...great guitar.
    OK...let’s start off with something easy and not too heavy. ZZ Top’s Blue Jean Blues. He couldn’t believe how quiet, big and fat that bass rig sounded at such a low volume during the verses and how big and dynamic it got for his solo.
    The thing he noticed for the first time ever was that his rig sounded like a toy even though it was screeching loud. We mic’ed it up. I knew what the results would be... an even louder screeching toy. Here’s a teaching moment. I yanked my original 59 Fender Bassman out of the closet and said try this. He was amazed at the difference without really being louder. I couldn’t help myself... Dude, you haven’t seen anything yet! I began to tell him about how a Marshall JTM45 w/ 2 4x12 cabinets would transform his playing, dynamics, feel and all around inspiration. I told him about loosing the pedal board and using his guitar volume (after all it is a volume control)
    and assured him he would NOT be too loud.
    So, I hooked him up with my Germino JTM45 and 2 4x12 cabinets a couple practices later. By this time we had a few tunes down and were comfortable with each other.
    We kicked off the Allman Bro’s. Whipping Post. He was real timid at first... not near loud enough and just sneaking up on the volume. Amp’s on 8 or 9, bass nearly off, treble and presence up and plugged in the high gain channel. He found the sweet spot for rhythm and you could tell he was finally “getting it”. On the solos he said he had sustain like never before ( no pedals) he could “feel” his guitar.
    The SPL meter PROVED it was no louder than before and in some cases much quieter like during the verses where you can back off with dynamics and still be full and warm sounding.
    He’s got the dough and he ordered his new rig last night!
    Another happy convert!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    SkyMonkey, LRT#1, BftGibson and 4 others like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

That is to cool my friend, great to see the young ones getting a feel for the real deal.
    And showing the way as gracefully as you did is fantastic
    Cheers :cheers:

trax1139 likes this.
  3. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I could tell the first day he would be receptive of the idea after he was so surprised how controllable that Fender Super Bassman rig was. That’s a 300 watt pro rig suitable for stadium rock shows. And were in a small jam room in my basement! I remember just blowing out Robin Trower’s Day of The Eagle then with just a slight change of volume pot and light touch I hit a low open E and said see how quiet,big, fat and sustained that is? You could NEVER get that with a little combo bass rig. That sparked his curiosity and I took advantage of the opening!
    I’ve tried that with other players and they’re just too convinced that they’ll be way too loud. That’s not so!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have 2 budget Marshall rigs in my garage that consists of 6 amps and 8 MG cabs, I can play loud, or just over TV volume and get all that I need from them.
    But if I was to haul it out to a local dive to set up just the smaller Dsl40c’s rig . I would be told I am too loud before I hit the first note.
    Love your conclusion..
    Cheers
    Mitch

5. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I remember one gig we did a quick sound check I wound up my DSL401 to fit the room. Owner was like "what do you think this is, Carnegie Hall?". He was the one who hired us and he knew we were a rock and blues band and not a f#$%ing jazz trio. I guess loud is relative lol.

6. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Loud is also visual to club owners and non musicians. We used to haul around horn loaded pa cabs we had a good engineer with a good sense of volume control as well as just a great ear. But many 1st time clubs we were yelled at for volume as soon as one side of the pa was being rolled off the truck......fast forward now for clubs I have a single stack eaw front loaded setup with 5x the power behind it and a higher spl sensitivity.....but not a word is said about volume ....go figure