Constant talk of volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jleftyy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. machinated

machinated Member

Fully agree with this; every amp below 50w I’ve owned has ended up being sold and replaced with the 100w equivalent (aside from the orange micro terror but my expectations there are different). The Power Brake I had did weird things to the amp’s behaviour - for some the compromise may be fine but there’s much better options available now that do a great job.

obx351 and Dirty-D like this.
  2. Brewski

Brewski New Member

i have the 100w EVH with matching cab. i have the 50w EVH 1x12 combo that I took the head out of. - it has an attenuator built in and lets you enjoy the preamp tone and still have teeth. i have a headrush pedalboard that has l amps within and an frfr for tiny gigs but does not equate to the EVH tone. i have the fender Mustang iii v2 and Gt200 for hand carry stuff too. you have to have more than one option

obx351 likes this.
  3. fingertied

fingertied Member Silver Supporting Member

i always play at least half stack
    there is always room.. if you can fit your twin on rhe stage you can fit the stack

Attached Files:

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah me too! It’s amazing to me how many people think these little volume boxes, (in the loop), work like attenuators.

These boxes are in reality a master volume added to the amp, and they work great for non-mv amps,...but they do not perform like an attenuator.

Jethro Rocker and danteschall like this.
  5. Mikee57

Mikee57 New Member

A guitar amplifier is only as loud as you make it. That said, there is a lot to be gained with a 4x12 slant top or even double 10 or 12 vs a single combo amp, any single combo amp. Loudspeakers beam at high frequencies and adding more speakers decreases that beaming and spiky sound. 4x12 slant top addresses that more by slanting the 2 12" speaker on top. This is not up to debate, its science. Started my sound reinforcement business in 1981 so I do have a clue.

6. usednabused

usednabused Active Member

it's usually the vocalist complaining about the volume cuz he or she cant get up over it. then a band mates family member telling you that you are too loud!

lately my rig is comprised of at least two to four amps running all at once, and being able to jump thru sounds. Marshalls first, then others... very enjoyable to have a wider array of sound at my disposal.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Dirty-D

Dirty-D Member

Damn Right! l've also dealt with turkeys trying to put what they mic up in your monitors and fool with your tone in the the house like add trebble, or reverb or push high mids just destroy your tone to their liking and you can't tell. You gotta have someone's ears in the room you trust. l've always had the policy of (with a house sound guy) "your job is to make what comes off the stage sound well and balnced. Mix what we throw down NOT dictate what my tone is".The caviat being l'm not going to put my 100 watters on 6.You gotta be realistic and treat that house sound guy cool and like a fellow pro.he does hold the fate of your mix in his hands and most of them know the room they mix well. Maybe make suggestions but those are pros not turkeys. l usually put my master between 3-4 and l'm always bringing a full stack. Takes up the same ammount of real estate just way cooler. Some stages l have to unplug the top cab if my bass player cries.One could play the Forum with a lead 12 honestly however (for me) if your amps don't push enough air they don't feel right, you don't play the same, your dick doesn't get hard and ultimately you give a mediocre performance. At that point l'd rather stay home and play with myself . . wait that's what l've been doing all year nevermind l guess none of this really matters right now.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am with you on all the above.
    I took my Dsl40c to a jam where I sat it on the concrete floor of a parts supply store, in my garage I play with 2 of them, on top of mg 4-12 cabs, in my garage they sound great, at the jam the single amp on the floor sounded like ass.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Clockworkmike, SkyMonkey and scozz like this.
  9. OriginOfTheSpecies

OriginOfTheSpecies Member

This was part of my reasoning going with a 20 Watt, I'll hopefully be able to crank the master and get it ~*in the zone*~ easier. Haven't had a chance to try in a band context yet, but I *think* it will be ok based on how loud it is in isolation, old band memories (guitarists not getting to wind their 5150 and Dual recs out) and the 10x power for double volume equation. I use a sealed 212 arranged vertically, so size wise the whole thing is closer to a half-stack than the average combo amp (and head being same width as cab, looks pretty neat imo).
    To differentiate between small power and small size, I think I would rather a 15 watt amp on a 412 than a 50w 1x12 combo for the heavy stuff I play.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

Don't gotta have 100 watt amps and 4x12's cranked loud to make them sound big

11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Gotta bring your own guy man!

Honestly I’ve never had a sound guy ‘tweak’ my tone...it’s hard enough to get them to lay a mic down in front of a cab lol. Which is why I go direct through IRs even when I’m playing amps. Even with a guy we trust, it’s best to make it idiot proof

12. OriginOfTheSpecies

OriginOfTheSpecies Member

Thats sounds right - is that a weber mass on top?

13. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't think I am never going to be good enough to play live. So don't understand big volume.

But lately, I have rested my SV20, and Blues Junior and practice through my DSL5cr. With 1 delay pedal. It is such a good little amp, if a little highly strung. But seems to be better on the ears.

14. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

THD Hot Plate

15. Gain Man

Gain Man Active Member

That is what I always do.

And let's not forget, what was correctly mentioned on another thread here: we want to let our guitars sing and for that we need some amount of controlled feedback. The only way to get that is volume. The increased levels of distortion we see today are quite often just the attempt to compensate for having to turn down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go for insane volume levels, but I want it loud enough to be usable without the FOH guy being not amused.

WellBurnTheSky and Dirty-D like this.
  16. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

So, to make sure I've got this right, you do want the FOH guy to be amused? :scratch:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  17. Carlos G

Carlos G Member

I never get into a house if I don't have a designated place where I can play anyway (or almost) that I want. Usually's got to be something with a space apart from the house and as much apart from neighbors as possible

18. Gain Man

Gain Man Active Member

I want the sound guy to not be like

[​IMG]

19. David Bazin

David Bazin Member

My god, I wish the sound guys up here in New England were like you!! I used to get the worst crap from sound guys showing up with just a jtm45 half stack lol, at EVERY place I played, even outdoor festivals up here. Always asking me to turn down...

I ended up getting a 2x12 Bluesbreaker with an oversized cab, NOS parts handwired etc... absolutely killer amp, but even with that I still struggle with sound guys if I want to get the amp to break up at all... So, I’m using Fryette PS2 and while I love it, I’m simply not pushing the same kind of air...

Anyways, come do sound for us up here in New England please lol!!

Lastly, I live in a small house with close neighbors, and while I can get pretty loud when no one is home, I have the PS2 to get down to reasonable levels and still enjoy the feel/tone enough, or if I have to get to tv volume levels, I then use a spark practice amp or a katana...

trax1139 likes this.
  20. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

I believe attenuators make the amps sound better. The kill the noise and remove some of the harshness. And they are not that complicated, just a couple resistors and a rheostat.

The idea that you have to get a certain amp to a certain volume to get it to sound good is just ridiculous. That's why they have load boxes and attenuators and even reamping via solid state power amps.

Which may all seem as unnecessary to someone who is happy with some other kind of solution.

But the biggest limitation is human hearing. Volume is the enemy of good hearing.

So that's my theory. Take a good circuit, attenuate it down to a volume that works.

Most small amps have bad sounding circuits. They are designed badly, probably intentionally. If a 5 watt amp sounded amazing no one would spent the $$$ on a 100w huge amp. The little amps usually need the most attenuation because they sound the best being run almost full out, but some modern 100 watt heads have great master volumes, resonance controls, sound the same basically at any volume.

Most good sounding amps are 100 watters or variations of the same circuit. We are only just starting to see the makers take the tried and true circuits and pair them to smaller power sections.