Constant talk of volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jleftyy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar....

This guy knows what he's talking about! :yesway:

Sustainium and junk notes like this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I was thinking more like confused. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    scozz and Sustainium like this.
  3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

But you know how to rock those Marshall's @pedecamp!:cheers:

4. pedecamp

Quietly.......

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. pedecamp

:orly:

6. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member

I have my shop in the backyard. It’s 25 x 35 and I build the amps there. It’s got all my cabinet building equipment, welder, my test equipment and tools. I keep my amps, cabinets and guitars. Because it’s separate from the house, I can blast 100 watt stuff no problem but it’s loud even in the large space but it’s better than in my previous home. I had a spare bedroom 15 x 20 and a 50 watt was loud there.

Mitchell Pearrow and Sustainium like this.
  7. Giblespaul2001

Giblespaul2001 Active Member

Ah... the subjective subject of sound & volume, small or BIG amps.

Sometimes I take 50 watts sometimes I take 20 watts I have played shows with amps on 7 watts and still it ROCKED.

Getting a good sound takes lots of practice in all kinds of rooms. Especially when there is no sound man and a lot of them suck. Don’t think just because they have the title of “sound man” they know what they are doing. I have had many sound man’s that
    Must have stayed at “The Holiday in Express the night before” They can take that Marshall 1/2 stack or that 20 watt Friedman and make it sound like ass.

A big factor in sound and volume is how many people are in the room and what the room is made of (floors, walls & ceiling) that can determine greatly how loud and how good it will sound. Now I am not talking about playing in arenas. Not many of them have good acoustics. They were built to have sporting events, Monster Trucks and rodeos and any thing else that comes through.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Never lived in an apartment. Not since I reached the age of reason. When wife was looking at houses in the Midwest. She would send me pics of a nice little house. maybe 1500 square feet or so. Then she would get mad at me when I would Nix that idea. Told he she needed to look for a place that will fit all OUR things. Never had to buy a place to house my equipment. I always had a separate place for the music. All my gear stilll packed away. But it's here.

9. Roach

Roach New Member

I have a Marshall dsl401, in my bedroom, and I mostly use the DI out, (401's have 1/4" out), to a focusrite scarlett solo, and use headphones from there. I only use the speaker in the cab less than 5% of the time, partly because I am not that good, and partly because I do not have the proper place to crank it.

I got a Marshall because that is the sound I am looking for. So this dsl401 with 3 preamp and 4 power tubes, is awesome. That is why I bought a Marshall. It is the sound. Without Marshall I would have gave up on playing long ago. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 3.0 to build drum beats at various speeds.

Also Marshall has many amps that are smaller than my 401, but just in case I get with a real live drummer or ever perform, I can always use my sm57 mic in front of my 401 if needed. I would love to have a full stack, but I still get the Marshall experience with my combo and my playing skills are not yet at that level.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

“OOOOOF”

11. OriginOfTheSpecies

OriginOfTheSpecies Member

Power scaling on my Origin lets me play at non-neighbour bothering volumes, torpedo captor attenuator/load box and/or OD pedals let me play in silence or quiet enough to not wake the kids.
    I bought the 20 because I wanted something I could push the power valves on live rather than dialing back a higher watt amp (ultimately 20w isnt that much quieter than a 50+ watt). It's overkill for home but fun when I get a chance,
    and obviously useful for jamming or gigging when the opportunity arises like I assume most people have non-practice amps for.

12. Revv23

Revv23 New Member

With big amps you can turn them down; small amps you can't make them grow.

I never understood the obsession with the small amps. A big amp at the same volume of a fender champ sounds HUGE.

You want have cranked marshall sound that way... but you wont have that on any 10w combo either.

I have two small amps that I like because I can carry them from room to room with one hand.

axe arsenal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Any reasonable guitarist, especially a Marshall user, understands a 50 or 100 watt amp is the best thing going tone wise for a big sound. But not all playing situations are suited for that. Let's take the company picnic type scenario. I don't need a 1987X and a 4x12 for that. Yeah, it can be used but I'd much prefer to go lower wattage so i can at least turn the amp up a little more.

I don't know why opposing wattages are debated so. Maybe I'm just different because each end of the spectrum has advantages and disadvantages to me. The only way to make it work is use each to its strengths. We got players all over the place trying to make a small amp bigger and a big amp smaller.

It's like the guy that just needs a minute with a screwdriver and he's done yet you have somebody telling you you should be using a 100psi compressor and an air ratchet to do it "right". Kind of hard to disagree with that suggestion technically but if you do this kind of work you already know the latter is your best tool but we have screwdrivers for a reason.

14. obx351

obx351 Active Member

All of my amps are loud at most volumes according to my wife and 13 year old. But like in the quote above I use a Aracom attenuator for my JMP50 running through a 4x12 cabinet. Even attenuated it sounds much better than any other lower powered amp I've ever heard. You can see the set up in my avatar. In 30 years or so if my wife puts us into a nursing home, I plan on taking this attenuator, head and cabinet with me and I will be playing it there!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and machinated like this.
  15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Better start building up that retirement account, you'll need your own wing.

16. Ric Moore

Ric Moore New Member

IEM's.
    They are awesome.
    You get everything in your mix and you control the volume.

17. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Responding to BftGibson....
    I have setup 3 full stacks in a practice room with some smaller Marshall tube amps down in front. Doesn't have to be turned up much at all, and sounds unbeleivably awesome.
    I call it my big big fat set of headphones for guitar practice.
    A total of 8 Marshalls all gping at once.
    The stacks are powered by AVT heads which mix well with the DSL, Origin, Haze, and Valvestates.
    Since I run a studio, this stuff never moves much.
    Jam on!

18. rsjd41

rsjd41 New Member Gold Supporting Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for someone who wishes to use a 4×12, that is also up to them. I've played smaller venues with both my 30th anniversary and my Yngwie signature model through a 4×12. Especially with the Yngwie, which has attenuation built in, it sounds quite good. If you aren't hauling it, you have little right to complain. Nothing worse in music than someone DEMANDING others must or can't do something.

obx351 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. wayne856

wayne856 New Member

i like the 4 cab 100 setup and so do my neighbors but i also like kiss" idea go big or go home show up with 3 full stacks each no matter how big the place is. .intimidate the other bands ..yeah they used one,,,the rest were empty cabs .. back in the 70's i didnt know what a marshall was saw pictures with Hendrix using them..went in a music store IN AC NJ saw marshall head with a 4 'cab turned it up to 10 hey i didnt have any idea.. i hit a open E cord and i was marty Mcfly. fell off the bar stool i was settin on didnt hurt the guitar or myself...the store clerk says dam things loud isnt it i say i guess the F+++....i be back with some money

nkd and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

:bowdown: