Constant talk of volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jleftyy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Right. So a club with maximum 130 occupancy like we used to play here regularly, a 4x12 is overkill. With a lower power amp just to get that thump you can do it but an open back combo spreads it around better and doesnt beam out 15 feet.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Dave David

Dave David New Member

I Live in an apartment. I’m in love with the Two-Notes « captor » it’s an all in one tool box, to enjoy my Marshall amps, with or without cabs.

Dmann and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

My big iron amp is a 100w Twin Reverb and i can play it anywhere. I played a little garage jam on Sunday with it on 3, sounded glorious.
    This amp on 6 will knock stuff off the walls and I've never heard it all the way up (i need to try that):thumbs:

4. Rezamatix

Rezamatix Well-Known Member

luckily my neighbors haven't ever said a thing, and I frequently have had 3 half stacks blaring. I generally have done that during work hours so who knows. Maybe they are all at work. 20+ years of this too..

5. LoudStroud

LoudStroud New Member

I have two bands I play with occasionally where I can use my 50 watt 1/2 stack and totally get away with it, regardless of the size of the rooms. The difference?… Dynamics. Playing at louder volumes forces you to ride the volume knob on your guitar. Its also how you set the tone. If you dial it in fat without the shrill high end, you’ll have fans standing right in front of you wanting to take in all of the volume right in their face. No joke. Not many young people have experienced what we grew up with, listening to a nice fat vintage rocking Marshall blaring at them.

At home I use attenuators. All that said I never use anything more than 50 watters anymore. As we get older our ears matter! Also for at home I get damn good Marshall tones at a lower volumes through my 2553 Silver Jubilee 1/2 stk or the small Studio 15 combo.

6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

You have figured it out.

Sustainium and LoudStroud like this.
  7. groovenev

groovenev Member

I practiced in my apartment just only on a lower volume with a Tom Scholz power soak.
    I always used a 4x12 with 50w head, in every club! Maxs cbgb wongs, troubadour viper etc. and when in NYC I shoved it into a yellow cab to get there, after I carried it down 3 flights of stairs from my walk up apartment! must have been nutz... (sounds like old folks, I'd walk a mile for a camel....LOL)
    ...I agree that most clubs opened (or that used to be opened.. uhhh) today will bellyache about volume so I use a 1936/2x12 with 50w mkII nice full tones and doesn't kill the band or the audience, just smooth Marshall tone....open back combos 1x12 are ok but I always found something lacking in presence, not volume. I have buddies that will still not play a show without a 4x12
    I have a single family house now so I keep my 4x12s down below in the basement and when the other half is out I drag a JCM top down and crank it... the down side is I then have to go upstairs and straighten all the pictures in the entire house! LOL

Sustainium and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. classicautopicks

classicautopicks New Member

Read Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets. Even a basement of a house can be a problem as doeas any room for recording. I've lived in a house and am currently in a condo in LA. I have a KR100 Rivera and Marshall JCM 900 and some smaller tube amps and to overcome the loudness I use a number of Koch load boxes. One can go directly into a DAW without any problem if they put a load on the amp if you are not using the speakers. I use a Load Box to record and get excellent volumes and tone. I don't have to worry about waking the neighbors or room reflections though the room is treated, if I want to practice, record, and or mix. I know many musicians want to hear their speakers but that can be detrimental to ones hearing. Instead one can listen through their monitors even when practicing with others or listening to digital drums and keyboards using headphones, even at night.

Rick
    ameircanrockrevival.com

9. DeWayne Hyatt

DeWayne Hyatt New Member

How else do you proclaim yourself the King of Loud in your neighborhood? What do you do when your neighbors decide they want to keep the party going at 3 a.m.? 100w into 4 12" speakers will enable you to break up parties a half mile away, lol. I normally play through my little 1w DSL, but there have been late nights/mornings in the past where I aimed that 4x12 at the source of the noise and start letting loose on some heavily distorted power chords...stops the noise almost instantly. Been here going on 5 years and no complaints yet (actually the landlord likes how I keep the hood orderly.) Remember, it's "Marshall Amplification, Pissing Off Neighbors SInce '62."

10. Kidlargo

Kidlargo New Member

16032078572901933522775.jpg 16032080201467016849.jpg FB_IMG_1596124126920.jpg Any tone at any volume or the big gigs.

groovenev and Sustainium like this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum my brother
    Cheers
    Mitch

12. Broham

Broham New Member

Back in the 90's my band was kind of the house band for one of the bigger clubs in town. It was one of those places where all the washed up famous bands would pass through on their "intimate venue" tours. It didn't seem matter who the sound guy was, they always made our bassist and guitarists turn their amps down low and relied primarily on the DI and mic input so they could control the sound better. This cleared up the sound coming from the stage but was frustrating as hell for our guitarists because they couldn't get the same tone out of their amps.

This didn't seem to be a problem for the headliners, of course. They could play as loud as they wanted. *fist clenching*

13. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

The sound guy was a puss! I never-ever asked the players to turn down. I found that when the band and FOH turned down and lost all the power and intensity, the players would generally lose enthusiasm and everybody would start bitching that it’s too loud. It wasn’t too loud-it just didn’t sound good. Crank that FOH above the stage volume and dial it in right and the club owners are like “damn these guys rock” even tho it’s louder! Ive done that and proved it over and over and over.

Dirty-D, Jakeboy, groovenev and 2 others like this.
  14. Bat Pup

Bat Pup New Member

I live in a Trailer Park where your neighbors are about 6 feet from you. I have a JCM 2000 DSL 100 watt and a Code 100H. I mostly play with my Code 100H because I'm not blowing the neighborhood away! I put the Master Volume on 2 and I turn down the volume to .5 or 1 They can still hear me but they aren't complaining! LOL! I can't play on my DSL 100 too much without the Land Lord knocking on my door! LOL!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson New Member

JHS Little black box is an attenuator that runs thru your effects loop and works like an overall master volume. So you can crank both your Preamp volume & Poweramp Master Volume to saturated the tubes but keep it as caged beast LOL.. mine cost me $60 odd us plus shipping to Oz.

16. junk notes

@pedecamp lol

pedecamp likes this.
  17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

The JHS volume box isn't an attenuator, it's just that, a passive volume box (basically an aluminium box, two jacks and a potentiometer, plus some wires, dead simple). It acts as a master volume of sorts, when used in the FX loop, as it turns down signal coming from to preamp and going into the power amp. So no, it won't let you saturate power amp tubes, as the only way to do that is to input enough signal into the power amp to get the power tubes to clip.
    Keep in mind that in most amps (ie those that don't have some sort o power scaling) the master volume pot actually is an overall volume for the preamp section of the amp, and the power amp pretty much runs wide open all the time.
    Also, on NMV Marshalls (the 1959/1987 aka Superlead/Lead) both volume knobs actually are input gain knobs.
    If you want power amp distortion but at a lower volume (especially with NMV amps), what you need is an actual attenuator, one that's designed to be used between the amp and the cab. Which the JHS box isn't.

Adey1981, zachman, Bat Pup and 4 others like this.
  18. junk notes

Yes, quite right.
    "Our Little Black Buffer is one of many great buffers on the market."
    **WARNING** Attempting to place the Little Black Amp Box between the power section of your amplifier and your speakers will result in damage to your gear. Place it in a series effects loop only.

Jethro Rocker and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  19. w201

w201 New Member

Not as much volume as dropping a shampoo bottle in the bathtub.

20. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Or a lazy ass...

Mitchell Pearrow and trax1139 like this.