Constant talk of volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jleftyy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. 80sTone

80sTone Well-Known Member

Well I dont buy Marshall to play at home - its for beer parties or pickup-jams......I dont live in a 1-room APT (anymore - well many moons ago) but have other amps for that purpose.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

It’s not about being “heard” over the drummer. I can be heard over the drummer with a Fender champ if I want. It’s about sounding pleasant with the drummer.
    And yes, I use it everywhere ... remember it’s only 30 watts. It’s no louder than most of combo amps out there. Just sounds natural along with a good acoustic drum kit.
    I just hate to hear way too loud, thin sounding bands when you can see they have real talent to offer.
    Whatever

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

There are two separate occasions, that a certain Plexi half stack sounded incredible during a Live band mix. Both were on Letterman's show!

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

IME it doesnt matter what size amp you have as long as its quality and the sound guy doesnt suck ;).

5. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

At Home at whisper volumes or live at concert volumes, I use the same stuff-- just set differently :shrug:

El Gringo, acevh00, steveb63 and 2 others like this.
  6. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Now I have to try my JTM45 on a 4x12. I’ve been running everything through a 2x12 as it’s easier to move around. But I do have a 2203 half stack just sitting in the man cave....... Come to think of it, I’ve never even plugged my 1987x into my 4x12.

7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Right on.

I have been trying to say that you can use 100w Marshall Superleads to play in a normal Live band setting. Exactly this one that was broadcast twice Live in 1985 on national television:
    [​IMG]

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Oh I don't doubt that! Anytime there is a backline provided, which is rare these days, I will take the halfstack! I do use a 2x12 closed back with the JVM and well, now the JMD1 too. If there was more stage room amd It was easier for me to haul that 100 lb monster up the basement stairs and into the garage...
    That JTM likes to be up volume wise I would think too!

steveb63 likes this.
  9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I should add. I live in a house but the wife is home mostly too as we are retired. She only has one good ear followjng brain surgery in 2016 so we are careful with her hearing. I have had some times to turn up an amp or two now and then, granted!
    I wish I coild have a large space to crank her up amd go. Nothing like having floor shaking volume!

10. trax1139

Amp loves to hang out around 7-8
    The guitar is my Master Volume

11. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

my unsung hero & attenuation..(my ISO closet & door) close for tracking & open to what degree i want to cut it down but not loose impact, Also write on a Mesa DC3 cause it gives it up early & lower. Can noodle & mess around to get the song going then to whatever is needed for the song.

I play loud at kick level cause thats where my amps are made to sing & thump..but have seriously learned to respect my hearing as i age. many years of stack..stack & fridge...respect the ears but always work the amp in the zone vs making it something its not.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

It’s been a good long time since I’ve played out, but when I did it was always a full stack, and so was the other guitarist’s rig and the bass player had a very competent big rig as well ( Acoustic, Sunn) and we were told to turn down, before we ever turned the amps on , lol
    Cheers
    Mitch

13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

the good ol days for sure..miss em buddy !

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hell yes

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I agree, I wouldn't want to haul a 4x12 to every gig, even if I had room for it. A good tone from a mic'd 1x12 combo, or even a direct signal from a good modeler (Axe Fx...), can sound just as good (dare I say, sometimes better) than a mic'd 4x12. After all, most of the time you're close-mic'ing only one speaker in a 4x12 anyway. If your amp sounds like crap or "a toy poodle", then nothing will fix that, but you don't need "big" to sound "big".

CraigP, KraftyBob, steveb63 and 2 others like this.
  16. trax1139

Unless you’re in the studio, you do need big to sound big. Otherwise you’re just loud.

17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree, but that's OK, everyone has their own approach on how to get "there".

FleshOnGear, steveb63 and trax1139 like this.
  18. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Playing my JVM at conversation level and loving it.

zachman, SkyMonkey, steveb63 and 3 others like this.
  19. trax1139

Just wondering...has anyone done any sound reinforcement gigs for rock shows both big or small rooms and outdoor venues? Any thoughts on what you’ve experienced?

20. trax1139

I’m not what you’d call a fan of absolute floor shaking volume...just a fan of a well rehearsed, big, full, round sounding band. It just so happens that goes with a certain amount of volume.