Constant talk of volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jleftyy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. jleftyy

jleftyy Active Member

Does everyone on this forum live in a 1 bedroom apartment? If so why by Marshall Amplifiers.
    Seem like torturing yourself to buy something you can't actually use.
    I didn't buy a Marshall Head until i bought a house with a basement.
    100 watts and 2 4x12s the sound is glorious.

2. machinated

machinated Member

tbf, there are some amazing reactive load boxes available right now that allow the head to respond very accurately to the way it would if it was directly connected to a cab. Some MV (either on new amps, or mods) are more effective than others, and as always it totally depends on what people are shooting for. and lastly, I don't play in any bands any more, but I'd imagine a lot of people are taking their amps to rehearsal rooms (and once upon a time gigs) and getting to grips with them there.

Im only using my amps and cabs in a studio, and even still my 1959 is BEYOND LOUD compared to all my other amps so I tend to use it with a reactive attenuator to dial in the sweet spot while still maintaining my sanity. Once that thing is cranked, it really isn't enjoyable being in the same room as it.

SiCoul, obx351, FogDweller and 3 others like this.
  3. What?

What? Well-Known Member

No. I live in a house. The rooms at home where I typically play are on the small side and can be easily overpowered by cranked up amps making the sound worse - muddy and pingy buildup. In a bigger room volume is definitely more satisfying. And some neighbors complain at some hours, and family in the house makes for playing full bore not always practical. I like to play alot, so that means getting the volume down at home is a necessity more times than not.

4. Stefan Cristea Olaru

Stefan Cristea Olaru New Member

I live in a house with a lot of windows and glass doors.
    So even tho i use a combo tube amp of 40 w i can t cranck it up even to 3 it s kind of sad and i always thought about an atenuatoe but never got my hands on one cause they are soo expensive at least the ones that i ve seen.
    At one point i was actualy thincking about seling my tube amp but than i talked with my mom and we decided to isolate a part of our living room so i can cranck it up higher
    you can also buy some sound proof foam and putting it in a box with a hole on top just to hear the max volume and max gain tone.The thing is if you realy want to you can find a way to play crancked up and not on max volume even on a budget

5. MaxFrames

MaxFrames Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, it's probably stupidity ;-P

Mark Collier likes this.
  6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I can run my amps full bore sometimes. I'll take what I can get and keep it down when I have to rather than settle for lesser practice amps.

7. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Man I love this guy! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...you cannot play with full dynamics in a band situation without a big loud amp. And that goes especially for bass players. If you gotta play in the bedroom why not just crank through some cell phone app and be done with it? You have every sound under the sun at the touch of a keystroke.
    I ran sound for a few years at a couple of top rock clubs in St. Louis. The worst sounding bands were mostly the ones coming in with the tiny combos and bass players with the 2x12 cabs. That’s more than fine for the studio-not- for live. I don’t care how little the room. Aw...just stick a mic on it! Yeah, let’s amplify that squeaky little thing. That’ll help with the volume problem. Did the drummer show up with
    a Fischer-Price kiddy set? Hell no! As a sound man, I was always glad to see a Marshall 1/2 stack and an Ampeg SVT or big Fender Super Bassman rig.
    Keep the neighbors happy...use a Casio and headphones!

Mikee57, axe arsenal, dro and 6 others like this.
  8. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Because it sounds like ass. My amps with reduced volume kill anything that I can get from a modeler. Been there, done that, for years. And I don't play at bedroom levels even when I'm playing in a bedroom. I just knock back the volume enough to work in the room and not get too many complaints. I would have to spend a hell of chunk on a very linear and adequately powered sound system to get a shitty modeler up to par volume wise, and it still wouldn't be as good. If you ask me, people who play through modelers are the one's fooling themselves. I get a reduced volume of the same gear that I play full bore when I can.

tygr1, Hogie34, Geeze and 4 others like this.
  9. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER Member

a dialed down 50/100 4x12 can sound great...
    I can EQ, master, pre and sprinkle of overdrive peddle my half stack into a tone zone at bedroom levels....It’s a bigger sound system, fuller sound.
    And the look of half stack is amazing to me...MUSCLE!!
    And every now n then, late at night, when least expected...
    I put the Balls to the Walls....Man

10. trax1139

A 40 watt combo tube amp is louder than [email protected]&t! But it sounds like dick Compared to a 30watt JTM45 w/4x12 cab or a 1987 50 watt. They’re no louder...just waaay bigger sounding.

11. trax1139

I’m being extra sarcastic when I say use a cell phone app or modeler!! THAT is the epitome of shit! I’ve played all sizes of rooms and never showed up with anything less than a 1/2 stack. I now always use a jtm45 and 2 4x12 cabs. Big sound-not much louder than a 15watt Fender Blues jr.

tygr1, dro and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know where some of you guys live, but in the bars/clubs where I live, and also when I was in Nashville last, 1/2 stacks a non-existent. The biggest I've seen was a 2x12 combo - the majority are 1x12's and modelers. Club owners want the music but they don't want it so loud that servers can't hear and patron's ears aren't ringing when they walk out of there. Plus, unless you're going to a show, most people nowadays want to talk over drinks and food with music in the background, so if the music is drowning out their conversations they are prone to leave. I think it sucks but these are the times we live in. Outside festivals are a different story.

I have the DSL 40C and it can get really loud in my house. The only time I turn it that loud is when I'm home alone. Since I don't have the room for multiple amps I bought a Helix and can get some great tones out of that thing and at low volumes. Plus it makes recording a breeze. I look at it as I have the best of both worlds.

CraigP, SiCoul, Mark Collier and 4 others like this.
  13. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yes, it does suck. We played a small club last weekend, and I no sooner turned the mains up to do a sound check, and the bartender said "that's too loud". We struggled with the scenario, as the drummer's acoustic drums (not mic'd) were competing with the lead vocals (or visa versa). They want a rock band, but they want it at lounge music volumes. We still had a good time, as our monitor volumes were set to "Rock".

Jakeboy, dro, KraftyBob and 1 other person like this.
  14. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I live in a neighborhood but all residents have acreage and it's wooded so no issues there. I use a Helix into a laptop and monitors for when my Wife is home just out of respect for her. 26 years together don't just happen. I have several tube Marshalls ranging from my 50th Anniversary collection to the new Studio Series SV20H and 2525H. Several cabinets and speakers. Been playing solid for over 35 years. I've had 50 and 100 watt amps before.

I get what you're saying. I can't help but wonder why but It's not my money. It's just my Wife and me. We have a pretty good size house but a tube amp is a bit of a struggle to use like i prefer with her there. Even the 1 watts in there zone is going to be heard all over my house. I've never been sold on an attenuator for bigger amps. Yeah, you get to set the amp anywhere you want but there is no speaker push playing at the levels some describe in the normal every day home environment. I can understand a knocking down a couple db's live but other than that no. It's still a compromise and not money well spent to me. I'd rather play around with different speaker efficiencies or diversify my amp's power. I've been using my Studios lately with some guys. They work well for the most part. Sound great but I've noticed and even was told i could be louder. That 1987X I've been jonesing for might just happen.

It is much less frustrating imo to just embrace some of the latest tech. I don't and won't use a modeler with a band but it's good to know i have that option at home for when it's appropriate. Life keeps you busy so when i sit down to play it's about playing and not equipment.

KraftyBob likes this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Most venues here don't do really loud, they need to hear drink orders etc. Manynof the stages don't bode well for a 4x12 either and while bigger sounding, is totally overkill. The 6101 with matching closed back 1x12 cab makes a great little stack that sounds awesome amd takes up no horizontal space. It is already overkill in most venues here.
    I am not a fan of NMV amps, I like multi channel, generally, amd they can sound very good at lower levels.
    When I can get out to a larger venue, absoultely it is fun to turn it up, within reason of the venue.
    Do you play out with NMV 50 watters run up to the top anywhere?
    Also, for OP, do you gig out with yoir full stack anywhere? I mean, great if you can. First ts too much shit to haul around for me.

CraigP, WellBurnTheSky and KraftyBob like this.
  16. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'll propose some common ground, from experience. I used to live in apartments but now live in a single family home. I can tell you that the DSL100HR with its dual Master volumes can work just as well in an apartment, at home, or on stage. If any of the other amps in the current DSL line have the same dual Masters, I assume they would work well too. I can't overstate enough how useful they are. I do have other amps I prefer over it but as far as versatility it's very good and sounds very good.

CraigP, KraftyBob, EL 34 and 3 others like this.
  17. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I only use my 4x12 for very large venues or outdoor gigs and even then most of the time I just mic up a smaller cab and let the PA do the work. I do like it loud enough to be able to monitor myself with my amp without it having to come thru the wedges but that can be achieved with a pretty small setup. Especially if you have the amp tilted right at you. I can play as loud as I want at home but I rarely play much over a loud TV volume. I want to preserve what I have left so I can continue to play hopefully till I croak.

18. trax1139

Now your getting somewhere with the last sentence of your post. It’s too much trouble...it’s too big...too heavy, etc., etc.

It’s not only about being fun just to play loud. It’s about sounding correct in the relationship to the drums and bass. (as long as the bass player has a descent rig...most show up nowadays with a teacup rig too) The problem is
    These guys turn that little stuff up so high just to get anything out and now they’re offensive sounding...no balls just all stomp pedal distortion fizz. Now the club owners are bitchin everybody out. People tend not to crab if the sound is good, fat, balanced and a little loud. Go to any pro show and see. The little amps sound little...except when you mic them up...then you get the toy poodle syndrome. Mic up a barking toy poodle in the PA you have a really loud barking toy poodle. That’s what people bitch about. Plus it’s impossible to play a soft, low musical passage with a little rig with any feeling and inspiration.
    Nobody asks the drummer to show up with a Fischer-Price Kiddy Set or throw a quilt over his kit. No- he’s too loud for you now and the cymbals are way out front and offensive sounding. People hate that- you and I hate that.
    You have to blend not only by volume but also by tonality.
    And yes, I use a NMV JTM45 no pedals other than a 6db signal boost and an analog tape delay, 2 4x12 cabs everywhere I play. Even in the small rehearsal area in the basement. I always have and never got thrown out of a place. Well, maybe once, a long time ago! 15017B2D-D77E-4A83-BCA5-F6F66D941643.jpeg 7414613F-DC33-49A1-AC89-F9F5750B67FF.jpeg

19. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Great for you if you can. So you run a 30 watt amp up high enough for balls out tone and 2 - 4x12s in every club? I got no room here in most places for that at all. And no, you dont need that to be heard over a drummer. My TSL122 2x12 combo sounds plenty fine , thank you. It is not a toy poodle at all. If I am using maybe 10 watts in most venues here then any amp with 2 - 4x12s is useless. For me. I also don't get fuzz pedal thin distortion from my amps.
    And yes, hauling a 4x12 solo up my basement stairs amd cramming it i to the back of an SUV for a gig where I cannot utilize it fully is a pain in the ass for me. Let alone 2 that I dont have room for. To each his own

20. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Wanna hear “Volume”???

Piss of your better half....

THATS VOLUME:agreed: