Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Yea, too much gain can surely be an issue. The main Marshall sounds I tend to gravitate toward are early AC/DC. And it's easy here to get brightness and gain muxed up. For this sort of sound, I like to be able to get clean when playing gentler and really crunchy when digging in hard. I do like a little spring reverb for blues playing, but just enough to kind of fill in the complete silence gap between phrases. But I'm fine playing a Marshall style amp without it, not so much a Fender blackface amp.

2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Another thought here. Judging and rolling tubes with an attenuated amp is a very bad idea.

3. Zado

Zado Active Member

Yup, the "damn fat tone" of yesterday becomes the "muffled"of today!
    Yup, the "damn fat tone" of yesterday becomes the "muffled"of today!

What happened with that attenuator??

4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I only meant that judging tubes with an attenuator running is bad because the sound can definitely get changed enough to diminish any differences, making them all sound the same.

Zado likes this.
  5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

So far this amp is the closest I have owned or played to the core sounds I love. It can do SRV territory with a strat using essentially the same bright and crunchy starting point that I use for getting early AC/DC territory sounds with a humbucker loaded guitar, and also a raucous sort of low gain punk rock sound that I was never able to satisfactorily get from other amps but was always searching for.

I think most people probably wouldn't think SRV with a plexi, but it's pretty convincing at getting the spirit of that sound to me ears. I'm hearing someone on youtube right now doing the same with an SV20.

Zado and Sustainium like this.
  6. Zado

Zado Active Member

So it's a worthy amp in your experience?

7. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Yes, but I think it is the 1987 circuit in general, not so much this specific amp. It is nice at times that this amp has the various switches, but that can also be a big distraction. I could leave all of the switches at one setting and be happy with the sound of the amp. Also, I'm finding that I have gravitated toward using my attenuator while leaving the PPIMV at full (bypassed). I mentioned in another thread that I would be content with the JTM50 circuit without all the extra options. One thing that I will play with is a different bright cap value. Of the 3 switching options, I leave it at 1000pF with the high control below half. I think I would prefer a value between 250pF and 1000pF.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Zado and 2203xman like this.
  8. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review and testing.I am testing a pile of old 12ax7 tubes this morning.I need to order the GZ34,and will most likely order nee EL 34's.I ordered my amp without tubes to save a few bucks.I will most likely use the Tung Sol EL 34 Bs,they have proven to be a reliable tube for cranking your power amp section for me in the past.But.....this wait sucks.

9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

The wait is excruciatingly long. Mine was about 4 months. As time goes on, I'm digging this amp more. There definitely has been a learning curve with it, not having owned a non-master volume Marshall type amp before. I'm really digging it right now with a strat.

Zado likes this.
  10. 2203xman

Yeah,the strat works great with a plexi.Helps to uncluttered that bottom end.

11. Zado

Zado Active Member

Any further experimentations? :D

12. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I just got a cable in the mail the other day that I needed for my audio interface, which took weeks to arrive. It was stuck at USPS in LA, if you know about what has been going on with the U.S. postal service lately. I'll have some time off in another week and will see if I can get some half decent recordings. I did some playing around yesterday and today with recording, and the differences really stand out between an attenuator and the PPIMV with certain settings. I tried to record it before with my portable recorder (Zoom H4N) but the mic preamps on the prortable recorder crunch things up so much when recording higher volumes that I couldn't really demonstrate the differences well. Anyway, I suspected that the mic preamps in my portable recorder weren't doing me any favors, and I was right. The mic preamps in my old firewire interface sound quite a bit better. I'm not finding that portable recorder to be nearly as convenient and useful as I thought it would be. It really needs to be mounted to a mic stand to keep it from moving around when plugging mics into it, there is too much menu diving involved for very simple things, and now I'm realizing the mic preamps aren't so good for recording guitar amps.

Any hoo, here is one of the throwaway recordings. Super bright and crunchy strat stuff. I had to do some eq'ing to knock back the highs and mids some. It's really bright and aggressive in person and comes across too mids focused in a recording. And I added a small reverb just for a bit of stereo imaging. All to try and better represent what I'm hearing in person. https://app.box.com/s/x2p5gxa9hdoifgfgylcoc8ym0729yei4

No way in hell I could get that sort of sound out of my DSL50. The DSL50 green channel with an eq pedal can get chimey and very bright but not nearly that aggressive and dynamic.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Zado likes this.
  13. 2203xman

Great tone.It's bright,but I still hear those lower mids.Good sound for Thin Lizzy,AC/DC,all my favorite stuff.

14. Zado

Zado Active Member

Ok that's definitely a great, Impressive sound. In real life it must be really something to die for.

15. malice95

malice95 Active Member

Just emailed Nik to upgrade my Plexi51 to a 101 and changed my 2204 to a Molecular 100. Very excited!

Regarding the wait...
    "Currently, we're at mid-late July orders for the amps. We could be running slightly late on them, but shouldn’t be that long"

So I'm still 2-4 weeks out (ordered Aug 17th).

Buzzard likes this.
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Damn. And I thought my wait time was long. 7-8 months is a looong freaking time. I guess Ceriatone is getting alot of orders this year.

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Most of there “modded” style amps are so very versatile, I’m still discovering new stuff from my Chupacabra. I just found out how to run it like a non master volume amp, you set the drive-2 to 9:30 and dime the MV then adjust the volume with drive-1. Very Plexiish. Some of the settings they tell you to use are SO loud.

I’m ready to order my 100w Chupa, not sure I like the sound of 7-8 months! Dame, and I want a special order one so I’m sure it will be way longer.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Ha ha. The Plexi 51 absolutely sounds it's best in person when not using any attenuation or the PPIMV, just straight cranking it up and letting it do it's thing unimpeded. There is more overall detail in the lows and elsewhere that way. I guess it would be similar for the Chupacabra set for classic sounds. Personally, I don't find the Plexi 51 to be all that loud, but I'm sure others will disagree. To me, it's output level is about right for getting engaged with the sound. The only way I could see myself needing more headroom with a 100 watter would be for playing outdoors, and not for small parties. When I set up a 50 watter outside and let it rip, my neighbors tell me that it sounds like a rock concert in a stadium. Ha ha. They don't know what loud is. Both my DSL50 and the Plexi 51 are loud enough though that playing live with a drummer without any attenuation would require miking up the kit and using a sub to get the drum levels up to par.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  19. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Coming from a high gain amp player like myself, switching over to lower gain, plexi style circuit, it took some adjustment playing and hearing-wise....

20. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric New Member

They’re currently delivering orders placed 14-15 weeks ago, and they’re quoting 14 week max if you order today. That 7-8 months was a misreading of a post above (when Nik said he’s working on “July orders” he meant orders placed this July, not orders to be delivered next July.)