Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

If I start beer time too early, nothing happens but more beer time.

Zado likes this.
  2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

@Zado apologies for the delay. Since I first noticed the difference between the E34L's and winged C's in my DSL50, I went back to that for testing. I hate to say, but trying to be objective about it, I'm not confident in saying anything about the differences. The problem here is having to wait fifteen minutes or so between tube swaps and time to bias them. I used the Apex matched E34L's from the Plexi 51 for this, and they wouldn't bias lower than 40.5 mA per side, where the winged C's were sitting at 38mA. And I did think of recording it, but getting something out to where the amps are set up means using a portable recorder for now, and my confidence in it's abilities to not screw up the sound right now are pretty low. I have a firewire cable coming in so that I can use an old firewire interface for recording with my laptop. As long as my interface works with my laptop, I'll repeat the test and record it. I know that interface captures good quality sound. It's just a matter of whether my laptop is compatible with it, since firewire interfaces are picky about the host firewire chipset.

I also tried using a sound pressure level meter app. But with big changes in volume I was seeing barely any difference in the meter app, so I'm not confident that it has any kind of accuracy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Zado likes this.
  3. Zado

Zado Active Member

Wow I wasnt expecting this kind of test, more something out of sensations :D
    I appreciate your effort tho! No idea if db meter apps are somehow accurate, but honestly I guess it doesnt really matter what devices say at this point, in the end it's what you can actually hear that's really relevant, maybe it's not even a thing of volume but frequencies, and there's definitely and audible difference between powertubes at band volumes, some of them givin more troubles than others when it comes to mids. It's still an interesting experiment to do tho

4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I'm letting the Plexi 51 cool down right now, and will swap in the winged C's shortly. Report back within the hour (no beer today :) ). I'm in tube sniffin' mode right now.

Bluesrock and Zado like this.
  5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I set the Plexi 51 up for the breaking clean Malcolm thing. Man, I dig that sound. Bass channel has to be up past half, treble channel down pretty low. Still damn bright as you might want it and the treble channel volume is real touchy down there to find just the right balance. The winged C's are loud, but not crazy call the cops loud. No attenuator. Cooling down now for the E34L's to go back in...

Zado likes this.
  6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Without being able to make a trustworthy recording or measurement right now, I would say that the E34L's are probably a little more scooped and lower in volume with the amp cranked up. Not astronomically so. My very unscience-able perception here is that the winged C's sound a little better. But with so much time inbetween, I don't trust myself to say anything absolutely. So don't put too much merit in anything here.

Zado likes this.
  7. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

I’ll never understand the point of buying a Plexi style 50 or 100 watt head and then talking about MVs and attenuators.

8. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Attenuating alot surely has a bad effect on the sound to my ears. At least it does with my Weber Mass 200. But less attenuation isn't bad at all really, and it keeps the neighbors happy. In other words, playing lower volume with an attenuator is much preferred than either not playing at all or playing through a 'practice' amp. Also, a PPIMV gives similar results at higher settings, and it allows for a wider range of sounds at lower settings where there is a little more preamp gain and brightness than when using an attenuator for the same volume level. But if I could, I would play wide open all the time because shear volume is more fun.

9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I would talk to Marshall about their PB-100 ;-)

10. trax1139

How ironic...an attenuator made by Marshall!

11. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

What amp are you using at home?

12. trax1139

Germino JTM45
    1960AV
    1960AVHW 872873A4-06C0-4D3D-9D02-0991997085C0.jpeg

Zado and Sustainium like this.
  13. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Nice rig, thanks for the pic! So do you just turn it up loud for tone and suffer, wear ear pro or just find acceptable tones at low volume?

14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

JTM45's and JTM50's actually aren't as loud as some people think. But even a champ can be loud to someone who isn't doing the playing.

Bluesrock, trax1139 and Sustainium like this.
  15. Zado

Zado Active Member

Well it's confirmed then! Doesn't really matter how scientific it is, music is a matter of feel afterall. I do believe myself that the E34L are a bit more scooped than your regular El34s due to the overflowing low end, and in fact they quite shine for modern rock genres, but didn't expect a volume decrease honestly.
    I'm considering a swap for some EHs, I'm usually not a super fan of their 12ax7s (not in other amps at least) but their EL34s should serve right in a rather bassy amp like the Yeti, givin less boomy low end, more high mids and rawer highs. Well that's the theory anyway ;)

16. trax1139

Bingo

17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Audio can be a tricky muthasucka though. With the exact same setup and settings, one day I can be really liking what I'm hearing. The next day not so much. That tells me that my perception changes from day to day. A more scientific approach can sure help to clear things up sometimes.

Zado likes this.
  18. trax1139

Never suffer...amp always cranked to a nice breakup and use guitar volume. A 6db boost pedal for little extra on solos and an analog tape delay. That’s it.
    Playing hard blues and classic rock...this is the ticket.

Sustainium likes this.
  19. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Lucky you. Tape delay sounds wonderful.

On the volume thing, I think alot of it probably depends on how the amp is tubed too. If the amp is sounded icepick or harsh, of course no one is going to want to hear it turned up.

20. trax1139

8A45C283-E26C-445D-AEAE-99C6F0367196.jpeg
    Yeah...it’s not so much how the amp is tubed, but, more so how the player “just sounds”. Most guys end up sounding like they sound no matter what they’re hooked up to or how big or small the rig. A lot of the problem in a band context is that the guitar player has his rig adjusted to sound good to his ears when he’s playing alone. A big part of the time that’s slightly scooped, a lot of treble and presence and way, way, way, waaay too much distortion and reverb all over it. Kick ass! Sounds like I’m playing in a coliseum! Put that in a band mix and it more than sucks! Now you can’t hear the guitar until you turn it up to the sky. The guitar sits in the middle of the audio spectrum, not to compete with the cymbals or be smothered by the bass. The best guitar sound (in a band mix) sits in the middle. Crank the mids to 10, bass at zero and see what happens to the mix and ultimately the volume. In blues and classic rock mostly, the deadliest thing to the sound of the band is way too much distortion on the guitar.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020