Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Several of mine are clipping diodes, so the higher the volume the less they do. Very handy for great sound at low levels, but sometimes to much of the shriller side of some Marshall sounds. (I like the fuller and thicker side of the Marshall sound.) Not to say you can't adjust it out of the sound, you just need to be aware of where you are. The 2 drive stages are the most important thing to me though. By running one into the other one way, then reversing it the other way, you have two different amps. Then when used with the MV you have yet another amp to control, one way is dime the MV then set one drive for dirt and the other for volume. This makes the feel of the amp extremely flexible and when used with the other tone shaping switch's it's just the most versatile amp I'v ever tried. Each one of those little switch's should be just a value that is easily changed. If it's not just right for you I'll bet Nik could tell you what to change it to. I may have him back off some of the extreme high's in 2 of the clipping switch's.

2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I haven't been playing much lately. Work sucks (hospital, covid), and on top of that we have been covering for some people being out, so not much time off and exhausted. I have been spending any slivers of free time being lazy, reading and listening about amp things and posting here. Today I fired up the Plexi 51 after not playing it for a while. I last left it (more than a week ago) with an old Mullard in V1 (maybe something to it, maybe not), a little reverb and clean boost up front (were still switched on), amp set bright as all fuck with a strat, a little attenuated. It sounds farking nice. Dynamic and punchy and clean--->crunchy and detailed, sitting at a point where you can play softer to get cleaner, roll the volume down just a bit for even cleaner but not choked or dark, wind it back up and get expressive to mean with pick attack and still hear notes in barre chords. I have no idea how to capture that sound well in a recording, but I think it would take a pair of stereo condensers out front to get the detail and image and a couple of close mics to get the body. And right now, I'm not getting into that sort of involvement, although I wish I had the energy and focus to.

I had been reading up and listening up on 2203's during my lazy free time. At some point you have to just play and get on with it though. Right?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    2203xman likes this.
  3. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Emailed NIK today. There are 6 amps ahead of mine now.Should have it in two weeks.

4. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
    Seems like a long time Mike, was hoping you had yours earlier.

2203xman likes this.
  5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

It was like forever and a week for me.

2203xman likes this.
  6. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

Yeah I too heard this week they’re running 19-20 week lead times, so I’m several weeks out. Ugh! But no regrets of course. I love my Ceriatone amps.

2203xman likes this.
  7. 2203xman

Well,this wait gives me a bit of time to condition my wife to a plexi amp.She has heard my 18 watt amps,but I can already imagine her shaking het head in dissaproval when she hears this 50 watt plexi.I can't wait ,microwave dinners are in my near future.ha ha!!!

Bluesrock likes this.
  8. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
    Time to build a John H attenuator

Bluesrock, 2203xman and TheOtherEric like this.
  9. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

101 Inbound !!!! I also have a Ceriatone JTM 50, and '69ish Ceriatone JMP [1987] in a white Bluesbreaker style 2 x 12 Combo.

Crikey and 2203xman like this.
  10. yladrd61

101 Arrived, hope to try some of the different plexi configurations shortly, appears to have most of the '67 to '70 100 Watt Lead & Bass configurations covered.
    Ceriatone JMP All Access 101.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  11. yladrd61

I got my 101 used off of Reverb, as with any used equipment I always open it up and give it a detailed going over before plugging it in. I just had a couple of minor lead dress issues I am a bit OCD if my AC gets too close to my DC :run:. I couldn't get the Tung Sol EL34B's to bias up above 27 ma, so I installed a strong matched quad of RFTs that I had stashed away. A very strong 1970 Blackburn I63 in V1, and a nice Brimar CV 4004 in V2, I tried a few different tubes in the PI, but ended up keeping the strongest GT labeled JJ, that were in the Amp when I got it. I am very impressed with this Amp it totally a very wide variety of plexi and early metal face 100 watt Marshall configurations. Also as with all of Ceriatone Amps that I have the build quality and workmanship are second to none. :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

2203xman and TheOtherEric like this.
  12. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Can it get early evh tone? For some reason Nik at ceriatone recommends the yeti or chupacabra instead of the plexi 51 even though it has a ppimv.

13. yladrd61

Seeing how the 101 can be configured to '68 Super Lead specs, of course it can nail early EVH tone, however it would be way too loud for a gig at modern stage volumes which is probably why Nik would recommend Amps which can get pretty close to that tone at stage volumes which may encourage the venue you are playing at to ever allow you to play there again ;)

14. 2203xman

I
    I have to agree with Nik.For ease of use and go to convienence a higher gain style plexi just makes more sense.Ed used a plexi to get those tones,but if you have ever owned a plexi and have tried to copy his sound,it soon becomes apparent that it is tricky to say the least.His tone seems to have more gain and sustain than a stock plexi.It is in how he used his amp,and nobody can tell you exactly how.You can get his basic core tone with most any plexi but you will find something is just missing.Ppimv will not help or add any gain.It only reduces volume.I hated it on my plexi amps.If you like hard rock tones from the 70's,you will love the plexi style amp.If you are expecting high octane fueled type tones,you will be dissapointed.Take Nik's advise.

15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’ve got a suhr sl 68 100 w plexi with the ppimv ,and with the built in variac it nails early evh at low volumes. With the variac it makes the amp about 50 w. I just thought the plexi 51 would be similar. Granted the sl 68 does have the built in variac which the plexi 51 does not.

16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

On the early EVH sound, I hear a different gain structure than what I can get out of the Plexi 51. It sounds cascaded to me, much more like a 2203/2204, more sensitive gain than the Plexi 51. And brighter and tighter on top of that.

17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Got any recordings of the Suhr? By the way, I do have a variac here. But I only tested that it works, haven't used it with an amp yet.

18. yladrd61

I definitely prefer the JTM100, JMP 1959/1992 and 50 watt plexi/metal face Marshalls over any of the later cascaded and higher gain amps.

19. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

I just got my tracking number today.
    Ordered my 101 at the end of August, so that puts the build time at about 22.5 weeks.

Can't wait!

yladrd61 and 2203xman like this.
  20. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

My 101 arrived this morning! Haven't had much time with it yet as I'm working from home.... But had to have a quick test at lunch time!

Initial impressions are it seems very nicely built! Packing was very good.
    I haven't tried much of anything as far as settings go, but set all the tones to mid, master to max, and played with volume 1 a little, with switches set to the 68 settings in the manual. Sounds like a plexi to me! Was able to dial in some lovely early break up tones, and some nice ACDCsh crunch with just the volume.
    Cranked everything to 10 and rolled back guitar volume.. same deal, all sounds great to me.

I'll get to dig into it a bit more after work, but happy so far :dude:

yladrd61 and What? like this.