Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Yea, I would say to that to show you via recorded sound clips. Those guy's perceptions of EVH tone might be very different than yours. If you can get a list of settings from them, I would be glad to record sound clips myself using those settings.

TheOtherEric likes this.
  3. 2203xman

The plexi51 clips that I have heard on that site sound good,but to me much more AC/DC than VH sounding.And for me that is just fine,I love that sound so much.A lot of vids on that site have the amps boosted with the "horsie" boost......lol! Anyway,I have a feeling that I will like this amp.The fawn tolex is different than what I imagined after seeing it on that page,but it will ceartanly be a non typical looking plexi.About 5 weeks out.

4. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

Very cool of you to offer! If the Plexi51 can’t do a good EVH out of the box, my process will be: (1) K-lator to help out the PPIMV, (2) boost pedal, like an EP Boost or my Echoplex EP-3, (3) the M2 attenuator guys here are using, and if all that fails then (4) my Wampler Pinnacle pedal, which does a great brown sound on my Son of Yeti.

5. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

FWIW, I asked Nik for an update yesterday, and he told me they are building early to mid August amps right now.
    Ordered my 101 Aug 30th. Nik said it will probably be a couple more weeks.

Hoping before Christmas :)

tce63 likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is very true,...and I remember hearing, reading, and seeing, (in pics), about small amps in the studio. Amps like Fender Champs and Deluxe Reverbs, Suhrs, original Magnatone amps etc,....

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah, that is a thing, definitely! I’ve experienced it a number of times, I bet we all have if you think about it.

Some days my amps sound sooo damn good that I almost cream my shorts! Other days, not quite so much. Now I’m talking about very subtle differences here, nothing drastic.

Granted, the ‘good tone days’ are way more frequent than the ‘not so good tone days’. Thankfully the ‘not so good tone days are few and far between,...but it’s definitely a thing.

It’s just the way humans hear things I guess, it’s just NOT always the same.

8. malice95

malice95 Active Member

It finally came! (so did I when I heard it). Aug 15th to Dec 30th! Its a Plexi 101. I should have a Molecular 100 show up in a week to so also. Amazing sounding amp. To my ears it sounds just like the Plexi I used to have years ago. Can easily get mean at reasonable volume. Very Happy with the purchase. Nik makes great amps but the wait does suck.

Gratuitous bragging pictures below:)

9. Zado

Zado Active Member

[​IMG]

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Awesome! Congratulations on a sweet set up. This with the Molecular and a tube switch pedal would make about the best 2 ch system you could ever want. I have a 50w Chupacabra but am going to order another one with 100w and some type of 2 ch set up very soon. I also have a 2202 combo on order along with a Horse Breaker pedal, coming soon I hope. The 101 is the 2nd ch I really want with the Chupa in one head. He's going to help me design and build it in the near future. Please let us know how the 101 works out.

11. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

Amazing amp collection!

Now, about those guitars....

12. 2203xman

Plexi 51 coming soon! Congrats on your 101!!

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  13. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Id go SS rectifier over the tube. You ever have a tube rectifier blow? It's not a clean blow. Takes shit with it.

So did you get the amp or are you stuck in cerebral hump whether to pull the trigger? Looking to catch up quick.:D

Edit: looks like you got it.:eddie:

14. solarburnDSL50

A Strat/plexi doing SRV? Absolutely. And many more lovely tones. You and me have very like tastes.

Congratz man. Sounds like my kinda amp for sure.:drool:

15. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Congrats malice95. The white cab looks sweet too. Keep us updated as you play the amp more. And I would love to hear some sounds from the new beast if you can make a recording.

16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Not yet, knock on wood. The Plexi 51 does have backup diodes, so hopefully I will get a big clue if the JJ tube rec goes down. I did ask Nik if he had any issues yet with the JJ rectifiers, and he said that he hasn't seen any.

Also, there are a few soundclips scatttered throughout this thread from when I first got the amp. I meant to post more but things picked up at work ,and then I got sick for a bit on top of it. Hell of a year it's been. Here's to hoping that 2021 makes up for it.

And by the way, I picked up an old variac recently, so I'll give that a go soon and see what's what. And if I hear anything at lower voltages worth noting I'll post a recording here. I'll report back here on it either way. More than anything, I'm really curious to hear my old super reverb with it at lower voltage how it was designed to run.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  17. solarburnDSL50

If the amp isn't cathode biased remember to rebias after lowering voltage. I didn't know that at first but the amp I was lowering voltage on was cathode biased. I hear power tubes will wear out sooner.:cheers:

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I know you have mentioned it, but I forget when yours was due to arrive.

19. 2203xman

It was scheduled to be built on dec 29 but Nik and crew took a needed break,so I expect it to be built this coming week sometime.The fawn tolex should make for a really unique plexi.Been checking out ceriatone's facebook page,great stuff.Everyone seems happy with their amps.

Guitar-Rocker likes this.
  20. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

I asked for an update on mine yesterday, and Nik told me they are behind. There are 8 ahead of mine, which he said would be another 2 weeks or so.
    I think you ordered a couple weeks after me, so may be a while yet for you too :(

2203xman likes this.