Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks man! I appreciate it, I’ll start emailing him tomorrow. I think I’ll try a 2202 combo as well, just to see what all the hype is about. I’m really looking forward to seeing how much of the extra stuff Nik can do for me on the 100w Chupa.

TheOtherEric likes this.
  2. PrettyGood

PrettyGood New Member

I'm on the fence. I would like to hear if the plexi50 can match my splawn quick rod gain (see my clip) I've yet to find anything as brutal as splawn. This plexi50 is looking like a contender.

3. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That sounds like a different sort of amp to me, almost like a scooped 2203. To me, a plexi sort of amp is more about having a dynamic range on tap that can go from almost clean to full grind, dependent on your playing dynamics and minor guitar volume knob adjustments along the way. And lots of mids that cut. What I'm hearing from that Splawn seems to be more about a full on sound with a dominant bottom end. It isn't that the sound of the amp is really scooped, but there is so much bottom that it gives that appearance. When I listen through my laptop speakers, I hear that the mids definitely there. When I listen through high quality headphones, the bottom takes over big time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. PrettyGood

PrettyGood New Member

I hear you.. I have the mids scooped and bass on 6. Then you have to take into consideration youtube compression totally changes the original recording too. That said, I ordered a chupra from Scott at guitarampausa.com and also looking at the plexi50. I want a ton of gain on tap while still retaining definition and plexi voicing if that makes sense. I'm not comparing eq as everyone has their own thing.

5. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Chupa sounds like your type of amp.A plexi is not a high gain beast.A plexi is more classic rock.

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Either the Chupa or Molecular would right up your alley.... The Plexi 51 is basically a Plexi with different modes....

7. What?

What? Well-Known Member

More precisely, the 51 has a bunch of switches for changing component values.

And btw, I have taken to liking the two position Char switch. One position gives fuller mids, with the other being more scooped. The scooped position helps in getting Fender'ish cleaner sounds with a strat. Also, I really do wish that all the switch positions had been labeled in the screen printing of the panels. A cheat sheet could work just as well until the values and effects of switching are memorized, but in the beginning it's easy to forget what is happening when flipping the various switches.

Also a little update on my thoughts on the Plexi 51. It seems that all the Ceriatone 50 watters are probably using the same transformers. I only looked at a few amps though. If a person is unsure of what type of amp he might be wanting and is willing to do some modding to find out, it might be a good idea to go with a high gain model, where it would likely be easier to wind back to plexi specs than the other way around. The chassis of a high gain model would already be fitted with the extra preamp tube for higher gain circuits. Taking a look at pictures of various 50 watter Ceriatone amps the other day, it did look like the Plexi 51 chassis is shorter than the chassis for one of the hot-rodded 2204 amps, for example. Also, given that there isn't any great difference between the GZ34 tube rectifier and solid state rectifier, I wouldn't be concerned with that aspect. I do wonder here if the power transformer being used in these amps could provide enough current for other rectifiers. It might be nice to try something that has more sag. Maybe a sag resistor would serve just as well here. Not having experience with comparing to a more saggy rectifier, I can't say.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  8. PrettyGood

PrettyGood New Member

Hi Shane,

I would definitely have to recommend the Plexi51 All Access. Combining '68 circuit selection with a higher NFB resistor (ie less NFB), as well as things like the V2A bypass cap, and boost, would definitely get classic Plexi vibes, but with more gain, and the PPIMV allows it at lower volumes.

Nik at Ceriatone said the same.

Thanks!

Scott

To: Guitar Amps USA
    Subject: Re: Enquiry

Which hot plexi would you recommend as the most brutal while still in a 60's marshall plexi vibe? I don't play modern. I like the Eddie marshall brown sound and compression but prefer a bit more crunch. I also like a deep and buttery low end. Not a tight low end. But I do like a lot of low end as the G12M 25w pre rola speakers I use don't have as much low end as the Chinese G12M reissues.

I already bought a chupra. This will be another purchase.

9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I would not describe the Plexi 51 as being anything in the realm of brutal, or even quite EVH territory. I could be missing something here of course, but I have had my Plexi 51 switches configured in every sort of way, straight in and boosted and with various guitars and pickups from lower output to higher output humbuckers and single coils. If Steve and Nik are saying otherwise, I would love to hear some sound clips demonstrating it. I have not found that territory in my amp. But I wasn't looking to get anything like that from this amp.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  10. Zado

Zado Active Member

I'm a lil surprised as well to see the Plexi51 suggested as option to cover Splawn ground, the QR has gallons of gain,and AFAIK the Plexi51 doesnt even reach Chupa/Yeti levels of distortion. Ask for some settings, I'm definitely curious about this. A boost was mentioned, so I guess that's the biggest part of the equation, a properly boosted Superlead can get pretty damn heavy.

11. What?

What? Well-Known Member

More clipping via boosting a smaller number of cleaner stages (driving the whole amp more into clipping) sounds different than more clipping via adding another gain stage and other amp circuit changes (more preamp gain).

12. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Ok your blowing my mind. Lol. This amp has been on my list. First off, you don’t notice much of a difference going from ss/ to tube rectifier ? Also , even with the ppimv master it dosent get into early EVH levels of gain? If so you may have just saved me a lot of money!

13. 2203xman

Ppimv wont add gain to your plexi.It only brings the overall volume down,but in a way that I didn't care for.It lasted only a day in my 1987x.

14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

The biggest difference in rectifiers is supposedly how much voltage they provide. The voltage provided from a GZ34 isn't so far away from a solid state rectifier, so there isn't alot of difference between them in how the amp responds. Other rectifiers provide significantly less voltage, so there will be more of a difference. It seems like we have hit on this point before in this thread.

At the same channel volume settings, when using the PPIMV the amp sounds much the same down to maybe 7 on the dial. After that, the power section begins to be pushed noticeably less and the sound becomes less compressed (less fat). Going way down on the dial, the amp gets thin, because the power section isn't being pushed at all really. With the PPIMV bypassed (turned all the way up), turning up the channel volumes causes the amp to get more compressed and then looser. The PPIMV and channel volumes can be balanced out for higher channel volumes (gain) that doesn't get so loose as without the PPIMV. But the amp still doesn't get into what I would consider to be high gain territory. It's very much a mid gain amp. And it has a forward mids rawness to the sound, so don't expect it to sound scooped for example, or smoother like say a JCM800 or a higher gain amp.

I guess what I'm hearing in that Van Halen sound is more gain (clipping) in the higher frequencies than in the lower frequencies. So I think it isn't so much a matter of amount of gain, but where in the spectrum clipping is happening more and less. To me, the Plexi 51 sounds like a different animal.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  15. What?

What? Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't add gain. But it does allow for turning up the channel volumes higher (effectively more gain) while keeping things tighter than without a PPIMV. I don't see a downside at all to having a PPIMV. At full, it is out of the circuit. At down to around 7, it keeps the sound of the amp in tact well but with less volume. And if turning the channel volumes up higher to the point where the amp would otherwise get much looser, it allows for keeping the amp sounding tighter. And the amp does thin out alot at low PPIMV settings, but it still provides a good means for playing a plexi type amp at low volume for practice, which sounds better to my ears than running a smaller amp, a solid state amp, or a modeler. I think it's a great option to have in an amp. I would like to compare it to a Friedman style master volume though, just to see what the differences in sound are.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  16. 2203xman

Yeah,no real downside to leaving it in for me other than me not being 100% sure that all was well with the amp after my Joe grinder bench installation.I noticed some change in the bias when using the ppimv,with my bias probe attached.I played the amp all day,with no major issues,no red plating .But after being dissapointed with the tone I decided it would give me peace of mind to return the amp back to stock.I guess I felt like an overprotective parent with my amp.Anyway,looking forward to another 1987.I have about 6 weeks to go.

17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Interesting on the bias changing. What type of PPIMV was that? The type that Ceriatone is using is a LarMar.

18. 2203xman

LarMar type 2 with the stacked pots.

19. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

A couple guys in the Ceriatone Facebook group say the Plexi51 does get them to EVH territory. No clips demonstrating it, though. But it's certainly safe to say you won't be getting MORE crunch than the brown sound. Certainly not that Splawn sound (sounds like JCM 800 to me).

They say its PPIMV works well too. I also have a Ceriatone mini-Kleinulator ss loop buffer that I plan to use in combination with the PPIMI to control the volume of my Plexi51 when it arrives in a couple months. Will this idea work well? Meh who knows.

2203xman likes this.
  20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would think the Yeti or Molecular, both seem darker like a Splawn. I had a Streetrod combo, now have a Chupacabra and love it.